You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Landon Donovan

Discussions about the former / present players & staff, and their personal life. Was a player fined for speeding? Did a former player become a coach? Find it all here.

Re: Landon Donovan

Postby FCBinNYC » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:39 pm

Yeah, ever since the whole Clint Mathis thing a few years back (there are probably other examples as well) I think MLS has relaxed its stance on letting their stars go to Europe. This is probably due to pressure from the US Federation which obviously wants the national team to be better.

Bayern123, yes Bayern can do better than Landon, but if you put the "what ifs" to the side and deal with FACTS Toni and Klose are the bomb and there's no one else I would rather have as a first choice pairing (besides Messi.) As far as not liking the national team because of Donovan, how about Bob Bradley and the Bruce Arena legacy? Using over-the-hill players and tactics? Constant back-passes and long-balls? These are why I don't like our national team that much, if you had seen Landon put Micho under constant pressure vs Argentina earlier this year you might agree. Basically all I'm saying is don't write him off, it's not his fault that he's played in nothing but relatively crappy teams ever since leaving Leverkusen.
FCBinNYC
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby MrLinky » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:55 pm

Jorge wrote:If Landon is sold to Europe his transfer fee has to be negotiated with the MLS, but as far as I know the MLS will let him go if the right offer comes. Nobody knows his price tag.

His contract at Galaxy runs until 2012 so he'd cost us a bit of money , maybe 3-5 million.
By the way , our pro-team played against the reserve team today and won 6-1 , Donovan scored 3 goals.Uli said that Donovan is gonna be in Munchen for 10 days and then they'll decide on whether he will be signed permanently , sounds pretty concrete.
He might be worth a though as attacker #4 but I hope Ulli is not seriously planning with him as a replacement for Poldi in case he leaves in the winter transfer period.
Last edited by MrLinky on Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
MrLinky
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Jorge » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:12 pm

FCBinNYC wrote:Yeah, ever since the whole Clint Mathis thing a few years back (there are probably other examples as well) I think MLS has relaxed its stance on letting their stars go to Europe. This is probably due to pressure from the US Federation which obviously wants the national team to be better.

Bayern123, yes Bayern can do better than Landon, but if you put the "what ifs" to the side and deal with FACTS Toni and Klose are the bomb and there's no one else I would rather have as a first choice pairing (besides Messi.) As far as not liking the national team because of Donovan, how about Bob Bradley and the Bruce Arena legacy? Using over-the-hill players and tactics? Constant back-passes and long-balls? These are why I don't like our national team that much, if you had seen Landon put Micho under constant pressure vs Argentina earlier this year you might agree. Basically all I'm saying is don't write him off, it's not his fault that he's played in nothing but relatively crappy teams ever since leaving Leverkusen.

I could not agree more. Both Bruce Arena and Bob Bradley approach the games at top competitions or against top opponents from a not-to-lose mindset. When you see a more relaxed US Team they can play attractive football and Landon shines. The last time I saw the team live was in Tampa against Ecuador and it was fun!!! Even before these two Steve Sampson and Bora Mulitunovic were very conservative, just remember when Bora took post with Nigeria that players used to call him "Boring Bora".

As I said before Landon is an environment player, when he is on he can be top class. Besides the recent friendly against Argentina that you mentioned I have seen him live against Argentina before (in Miami) and against Mexico taking on the likes of Rafa Marquez (Barca), Salcido (PSV) Pavel Pardo and Ricardo Osorio(Stuttgart) and these are, or regular BL defensive players or World Class players, and Landon seems to do fine against them, but playing Mexico is that incentive that he needs . My questions are when he completely disappears like recently against England, that CL game with Leverkusen against Liverpool when he gave away the ball that ended up in the back of the net or the whole WC in Germany when he was aligned as a lone striker and left the competition without shooting once on goal, the opposite of what he had done 4 years earlier in Japan when he was only 20.

Also, one more time if he gets a chance at Bayern he will not be a fourth striker, he will be fielded as an attacking midfielder if there is room for him. I am sure if Bayern is looking for a fourth striker behind Poldi that one is not Landon, they will consider a pure striker and Landon will not consider joining any team at this point in his career to be relegated to the bench as 4th choice; in that case he would be considering a move to a mid-table team in Spain or England, or staying with the Galaxy.
Jorge
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
World Trade Organization

Postby Jorge » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:28 pm

This press release makes more emphasis in Donovan arriving and Podolski leaving.

DONOVAN ARRIVES FOR BAYERN STINT
Chad Winger - Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Los Angeles attacker Landon Donovan is in Germany for the next 10 days, training with former Galaxy consultant Jürgen Klinsmann and Bayern Munich.

"I know Landon from my time at the LA Galaxy," the German legend told YA. "A great guy, a very good soccer player and one of the biggest personalities from US Soccer."

"He will be training with us for the next 10 days in order to keep himself in shape."

The training stint has been rumored in German publications as a de facto trial for the American, who is seen as a potential replacement for Germany international Lukas Podolski who has publicly stated that he wants out of Bayern.

Like Klinsmann, Donovan's agent would not be drawn into such discussion, only confirming the arrival of his star client.

"As reports have correctly noted, Jürgen invited Landon to come train with the Club for 10 days," Motzkin repeated to YA.

Donovan, who was previously signed to Bayer Leverkusen, culminating in a disastrous seven-game stint in 2005 before returning to MLS, has stated publicly that he would entertain a return to Europe.

In his MLS career, Donovan has scored 84 goals in 183 appearances over eight seasons spent evenly between Los Angeles and San Jose.

This past season, the United States' all-time goals leader led MLS with 20 tallies despite Los Angeles missing the playoffs for the third consecutive year.
Jorge
I post all the time

National Flag:
World Trade Organization

Postby MUTU » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:55 am

Today's training session (again featuring Donovan) can be seen here: http://www.eyep.tv/1.-bundesliga/fc-bay ... ssion.html
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby L-Wag » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:44 am

I can't stand Landon Donovan. I'm with they others that said they would throw up if they saw him in a Bayern Kit.
As a supporter of Toronto FC, I cannot begin to describe the hate I feel towards him.
His flopping, his wrist and hand kissing before taking penalties.
I'm pretty sure Oliver Kahn hates him...
L-Wag
First post

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby MUTU » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:27 am

L-Wag wrote:I'm pretty sure Oliver Kahn hates him...

LOL cool pics!
It seems like he's terrified of Kahn haha :)

Welcome to the forum L-Wag =D>
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby Jorge » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:44 pm

L-Wag wrote:I can't stand Landon Donovan. I'm with they others that said they would throw up if they saw him in a Bayern Kit.
As a supporter of Toronto FC, I cannot begin to describe the hate I feel towards him.
His flopping, his wrist and hand kissing before taking penalties.
I'm pretty sure Oliver Kahn hates him...

The Pictures are great! I also believe all his "rituals" before taking penalties are a kind of stupid. I remember Eric Wynalda commentating on ESPN on time making fun of it. I prefer what Rojas (retired goalkeeper from Chile) used to do. He used to called his 10 field players to circle him and then pee on the grass before each game.

But as a side note, Landon scores most penalties, actually I can not remember anyone that he failed.
Jorge
I post all the time

National Flag:
World Trade Organization

Postby FCBinNYC » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:49 pm

Haha those are great pics, but honestly who doesn't Kahn hate? Even playing for the same team as him doesn't save you from getting yelled at! :lol: I'd be terrified of him, wouldn't you?

And yes, Landon's penalty ritual is dumb.
FCBinNYC
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby MrLinky » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:32 am

Bayern Chief Remains Poker-Faced Over Donovan

Bayern Munich general manager Uli Hoeness has refused to be drawn out whether Landon Donovan's 10-day training spell is just that, or whether it is in effect an intensive trial.
Fresh from winning the 2008 MLS Golden Boot, the LA Galaxy forward has admitted that he'd love to try his luck in Europe again, though so far there is no indication that the arrangement with Bayern is for any other purpose than to keep fit and for the opportunity to train with top players at a state-of-the-art facility.

"He has only been here for two days and so I cannot say too much, but what I have seen has been okay. He can certainly kick the ball," Hoeness told the German press..

"Donovan is just here for 10 days and only after that can I say anything more."
MrLinky
I post all the time

Postby ironman865 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:50 am

HE SUCKS, PODOLSKI IS WWWAAAAAAAAAY BETTER THAN HIM.
ironman865
Hey, I'm new here!

Postby FCBinNYC » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:34 pm

Bayern have agreed a loan deal for Donovan, at least until March, though they're speaking to LA Galaxy about making it more "long term, at least until the end of the season." (Klinsmann) Not a bad deal at all, I'm sure this is because MLS/Galaxy slapped an inflated price tag on him. At least this way we can see how he does in some actual games to see if he's worth it. I hope he does well!

I also want to stress that I hope this doesn't mean the end for Poldi. Maybe having someone behind him in the pecking order will inspire him to work even harder, and score some damn goals!
FCBinNYC
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby MrLinky » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:29 pm

Very good deal , if they'd have bought him and he would have flopped it would have been a lot of money going nowhere , this way he can prove what he's capable of and if he does well they can make the deal permanent , if not he can just go back to Galaxy or try his luck at another european club , good job Ulli ! :)
MrLinky
I post all the time

Postby MrLinky » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:03 am

MrLinky
I post all the time

Postby Jorge » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:09 pm

During the Germany-England game last Wednesday in the GoalTV broadcast for the USA it was disclosed that the MLS set Donovan's transfer fee at $10 Million and Bayern refused. The loan is the best for everyone. Some insiders believe Landon can do well at Bayern and what they saw as he connects with the Bayern players is impressive. Let's see how it goes in real games.
Jorge
I post all the time

National Flag:
World Trade Organization

PreviousNext

Return to Bayern Player & Staff Discussion