You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Landon Donovan

Discussions about the former / present players & staff, and their personal life. Was a player fined for speeding? Did a former player become a coach? Find it all here.

Re: Landon Donovan

Postby MUTU » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:06 pm

MrLinky wrote:I could find you a youtube video of Ali Karimi , you think to yourself damn this guy is gonna be the nex Kaka .
Did those youtube videos help him play well or secure a place in the starting XI during his time in Munchen ?

Exactly... highlights are not a good way to value a player, especially if he is not playing in Europe. The Karimi example is perfect, I saw his highlights and he looked really brilliant. But when he joined Bayern, he couldn't emulate those moves.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby Jorge » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:38 pm

EPL: Tottenham, Fulham, West Ham, Everton as I do not see anyone on the top needing anything he has to offer. In Spain I know Aguirre knows him well and valued him highly six or seven years ago but I do not know what they think about each other now. Deportivo can be another choice.

As for Bayern things have cooled down a little bit. Mönchengladbach with Keller's influence and Bradley already there can be an option although Donovan might be trying to avoid a low profile club in Germany.

Galaxy star Donovan eyeing European move
Los Angeles Galaxy striker Landon Donovan is eyeing a move to the English Premier League or Spain's La Liga in the January transfer window.

The United States' all-time leading goalscorer played his last game of the season for the Galaxy in a 2-2 home draw with FC Dallas at the Home Depot Center at the weekend, during which he converted a penalty for his 20th goal to win the MLS golden boot for 2008.

The 26-year-old who had an unsuccessful stint at Bayer Leverkusen before signing for Los Angeles in 2005, believes his future lies in England or Spain and has already been in contact with Bayern Munich boss Jurgen Klinsmann about a move to the German Bundesliga.

''I'd love to play in the Premiership, I think that would be incredible,'' Donovan said.

''I'd love to play in Spain.

''Whether that happens I don't know but I think where my qualities are best would be in a team that plays. I'm not going to go and battle John Terry and expect to win but if I can get on a team that plays good soccer I think I could help.''

''I watch games every weekend and it's exciting watching those games and I think I could contribute on a lot of teams,'' Donovan added, when asked specifically about English football. ''It would be a much easier fit than most places, for sure.

''Obviously, there's a lot of ifs. If the Galaxy is okay with me going, if the League is willing to accept an offer, if an offer comes.

''In my situation I can't be super picky but if it's the right offer and makes sense with the right team...there's a lot of ifs.

''But from my standpoint I'm ready to take that step and I want to.

''Competitively I have that itch and I want to go and I will make that very clear to people.''

Donovan said he would approach MLS officials this week to request a move and added that he had told Galaxy head coach Bruce Arena of his wish to join a European club.

''I think the League is aware of my situation and I've had brief talks with Bruce about it and let him know, but it's still early.

''There can be a lot of fluctuation between now and January 1. Teams that are in trouble might be playing great by then and vice versa. Injuries happen and we'll see where we're at.''

Donovan accepted that following his first spell in Germany, he might be a harder sell to top European clubs but said he now had a different mindset and approach to his profession.

''I'm ready and I wasn't ready before in any way or capacity. I'm ready and I want to make the most of that. I've only got one career and I want to make sure that I give myself a chance.''

Donovan's request to quit MLS comes at the end of a week in which Galaxy captain David Beckham's commitment to the LA cause has been called into question following news of his desire to join AC Milan on loan during the MLS close season.

Beckham backed his team-mate's ambition but said he hoped the American would stay at the Galaxy in 2009.

''I'd like to see him remain here but he's 26 years old, I've heard the rumours about him going to Europe and if he does, good luck to him.

''He's a good player, everybody knows that and he's succeeded here in the US so if he does get the chance to go to Europe and enjoy some success over there it's down to him.

''Obviously I hope he stays here because he's valuable to the team.''
Jorge
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
World Trade Organization

Postby MUTU » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:57 pm

Los Angeles Galaxy striker Landon Donovan is eyeing a move to the English Premier League or Spain's La Liga in the January transfer window.

The United States' all-time leading goalscorer played his last game of the season for the Galaxy in a 2-2 home draw with FC Dallas at the Home Depot Center at the weekend, during which he converted a penalty for his 20th goal to win the MLS golden boot for 2008.

The 26-year-old who had an unsuccessful stint at Bayer Leverkusen before signing for Los Angeles in 2005, believes his future lies in England or Spain and has already been in contact with Bayern Munich boss Jurgen Klinsmann about a move to the German Bundesliga.

''I'd love to play in the Premiership, I think that would be incredible,'' Donovan said.

''I'd love to play in Spain.

''Whether that happens I don't know but I think where my qualities are best would be in a team that plays. I'm not going to go and battle John Terry and expect to win but if I can get on a team that plays good soccer I think I could help.''

''I watch games every weekend and it's exciting watching those games and I think I could contribute on a lot of teams,'' Donovan added, when asked specifically about English football. ''It would be a much easier fit than most places, for sure.

''Obviously, there's a lot of ifs. If the Galaxy is okay with me going, if the League is willing to accept an offer, if an offer comes.

''In my situation I can't be super picky but if it's the right offer and makes sense with the right team...there's a lot of ifs.

''But from my standpoint I'm ready to take that step and I want to.

''Competitively I have that itch and I want to go and I will make that very clear to people.''

Donovan said he would approach MLS officials this week to request a move and added that he had told Galaxy head coach Bruce Arena of his wish to join a European club.

''I think the League is aware of my situation and I've had brief talks with Bruce about it and let him know, but it's still early.

''There can be a lot of fluctuation between now and January 1. Teams that are in trouble might be playing great by then and vice versa. Injuries happen and we'll see where we're at.''

Donovan accepted that following his first spell in Germany, he might be a harder sell to top European clubs but said he now had a different mindset and approach to his profession.

''I'm ready and I wasn't ready before in any way or capacity. I'm ready and I want to make the most of that. I've only got one career and I want to make sure that I give myself a chance.''

Donovan's request to quit MLS comes at the end of a week in which Galaxy captain David Beckham's commitment to the LA cause has been called into question following news of his desire to join AC Milan on loan during the MLS close season.

Beckham backed his team-mate's ambition but said he hoped the American would stay at the Galaxy in 2009.

''I'd like to see him remain here but he's 26 years old, I've heard the rumours about him going to Europe and if he does, good luck to him.

''He's a good player, everybody knows that and he's succeeded here in the US so if he does get the chance to go to Europe and enjoy some success over there it's down to him.

''Obviously I hope he stays here because he's valuable to the team.''
MUTU

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MrLinky » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:45 pm

Is it my eyes or am I really seeing the same article twice ? :lol: :P
MrLinky
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Jorge » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:15 pm

MrLinky wrote:Is it my eyes or am I really seeing the same article twice ? :lol: :P

We have Multiple Personality Disorder here in this forum, we learned from Jurgen Klinsmann #-o
Jorge
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
World Trade Organization

Postby MUTU » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:29 pm

Woops, sorry about that! Maybe Klinsmann can refer me to a psychologist :)
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby thulkazal » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:55 pm

seems he is on trail for bayern
thulkazal
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby MUTU » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:26 pm

This is insane.

He starts training with Bayern today for 10 days "in order to stay fit".

This is on the official site: http://www.fcbayern.t-com.de/de/aktuell ... /17695.php
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBinNYC » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:21 pm

Crazy. Well, I hope he does well and we sign him in January. We need another striker to make up the numbers, Captain America would be at least as helpful as Poldi at the moment if not more. Would there be any other reason why he feels he needs to "stay fit" during the MLS break? :? 8)
FCBinNYC
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby reiniksrobis » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:37 pm

Anyway, we need 4 strikers. At the end of season, three strikers wont be enough. OK, if Poldi stays, then we will have 4 forwards and it will be OK!

Ribery are king of football.
reiniksrobis
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby Jorge » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:39 pm

To all: just remember that Landon is not a pure striker, he is more an attacking midfielder; a link between the midfield and the front line. Although he is used sometimes in a more advanced position he is more effective both sending out through passes and breaking through spaces when he comes from that area some yards away from the opposite defenders formation, and his natural position is right on the center of the field, he is not a right or left winger by trade.

I still have more questions than answers on whether he is the player that Bayern needs as nobody can be sure if can engaged at Bundesliga level right away, but training sessions will give a better idea to Bayern technical staff on where he stands, and do not rule out another training spell closer to the winter break with an appearance in a friendly match in January if things keep moving in that direction.
Jorge
I post all the time

National Flag:
World Trade Organization

Postby MUTU » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:13 am

He can be seen training yesterday at http://www.eyep.tv/1.-bundesliga/fc-bay ... rofis.html
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MrLinky » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:01 pm

I think I read somewhere that in case of a transfer of a player from the MLS to a European league a part of the transfer fee (or all of it?) goes to the league itself.Maybe one of the FCB fans in the USA can tell us more about it , personally I find it quite interesting.
MrLinky
I post all the time

Postby bayern123 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:10 pm

I believe Bayern can get a better forward than the "brat" Donovan. He is one of the reasons I do not like the US team, and I AM American!

Please Uli! You can find better!! If you want to spend a little money!!!

Don't sell Poldi! We need depth at striker! Don't forget, Toni was injured for a while, and he is in his 30's. Klose also has a lot of miles on those legs. You do have to think, "what if?.........."

Come on Bayern!!!!!!!!!!!!
bayern123
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Postby Jorge » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:41 pm

MrLinky wrote:I think I read somewhere that in case of a transfer of a player from the MLS to a European league a part of the transfer fee (or all of it?) goes to the league itself.Maybe one of the FCB fans in the USA can tell us more about it , personally I find it quite interesting.

You are right, MLS player's contracts are owned by the league and not the clubs. Clubs can buy and sell players only through the the league. This was done to control costs after the failure of the defunct NASL and it was already challenged by the players sueing the MLS some years ago but eventually the single entity structure prevailed with some extended financial benefits passed on to the players and the clubs.

If Landon is sold to Europe his transfer fee has to be negotiated with the MLS, but as far as I know the MLS will let him go if the right offer comes. Nobody knows his price tag.
Jorge
I post all the time

National Flag:
World Trade Organization

PreviousNext

Return to Bayern Player & Staff Discussion