You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Landon Donovan

Discussions about the former / present players & staff, and their personal life. Was a player fined for speeding? Did a former player become a coach? Find it all here.

Re: Landon Donovan

Postby FCBinNYC » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:39 pm

I was wondering that myself, worst case scenario I'm sure we could "extend the loan" for the rest of the season until we can make it official in June.
FCBinNYC
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Jorge » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:49 am

FCBinNYC wrote:I was wondering that myself, worst case scenario I'm sure we could "extend the loan" for the rest of the season until we can make it official in June.

You are right, the way it works: he can join an UEFA club only during open transfer windows, whether that is transfer, free agency or loan; but he can leave at any time. As right now he is loaned to Bayern and he can leave at any time bacause the MLS does not have a restriction to take him back in March, if Bayern decides to keep him nobody can force him to leave, he is locked until the end of the season. The part that I do not have clear is if they can contract him in March beyond the end of this season, most likely they can draft the deal like they can do with any other player from another club in the final year of the contract but they can not ink it until the transfer window re-opens.
Jorge
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
World Trade Organization

Postby MUTU » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:19 pm

Jorge wrote:
FCBinNYC wrote:I was wondering that myself, worst case scenario I'm sure we could "extend the loan" for the rest of the season until we can make it official in June.

You are right, the way it works: he can join an UEFA club only during open transfer windows, whether that is transfer, free agency or loan; but he can leave at any time. As right now he is loaned to Bayern and he can leave at any time bacause the MLS does not have a restriction to take him back in March, if Bayern decides to keep him nobody can force him to leave, he is locked until the end of the season. The part that I do not have clear is if they can contract him in March beyond the end of this season, most likely they can draft the deal like they can do with any other player from another club in the final year of the contract but they can not ink it until the transfer window re-opens.

It's a bit of a grey area, isn't it? Does anyone know for sure?
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby Jorge » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:55 pm

MUTU wrote:
Jorge wrote:

It's a bit of a grey area, isn't it? Does anyone know for sure?

The general definition of due process in this case is under FIFA's Transfer Regulations as the player in question has been loaned/transfered from an association out of UEFA, typically the FIFA regulations are very general delegating more power to the Confederation above the Association and then the Association may have even more specifics in line with the higher regulations. Article 10 deals with loans.

As you said, it seems to be a little grey the part of signing Donovan out of the European Transfer window if they decide to do so, a return to MLS in March is clear as the GBL and MLS have overlapping transfer windows. Same with Donovan staying until the end of the season, Bayern can keep him as long as they want and MLS agrees and he can join the Galaxy back in the summer as the MLS is in midseason and by law they can open transfers for up to 4 weeks.

Here is the link:

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/administration/regulations_on_the_status_and_transfer_of_players_en_33410.pdf
Jorge
I post all the time

National Flag:
World Trade Organization

Postby shwas55 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:08 am

According to the Bild a permanent move to Munich for Donovan is becoming less and less likely.

The MLS asking price ($8 Mil) and the American failing to prove himself is indicating that he wont be a Bayern player next year.

http://www.bild.de/BILD/sport/fussball/bundesliga/vereine/bayern/2009/02/17/landon-donovan/dieser-joker-ist-keine-8-millionen-wert.html.
shwas55
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby reiniksrobis » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:29 pm

I think that is good. There are a lot of better players around the globe and we can get them for cheaper price!

Ribery are king of football.
reiniksrobis
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby FCBinNYC » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:56 pm

Yeah, one thing is sure: he hasn't taken his form from the friendlies into competitive matches. He's looked ok, but not superlative. As an American fan, I'd like for him to be able to stay, but as a Bayern fan I have to be honest that he hasn't really proved himself. To be fair to him, I think he should start against Koln regardless of whether Toni's fit or not, I say this because he definitely looked better against Berlin with an hour than he did against all the other teams with 10-20 minutes. If he doesn't start even one match, then honestly I feel like we wasted both his time and ours. I'm not saying that Landon (or anyone) should be blindly handed a shirt, it just seems strange that we went through with this loan/trial deal and so far have neglected to try him out as anything more than a sub.
FCBinNYC
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby Tomas » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:48 pm

He's gone... I believe. With Toni, Klose, Olic and now signing of Müller... where would he go? On the wings? I think his bags are packed and headed for LA.
Tomas
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby Miss Dangerous » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:20 pm

Well, Bayern said today that we already have Klose, Toni and Olic. so, the 4th striker should be a youngster (for the future) :D
Miss Dangerous
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby MrLinky » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:40 pm

shwas55 wrote:Linky could you please post the Donovan thing again. Thanx

The second time I'm posting this , the first post has disappeared and no one knows why .. :|

Rummenigge in an interview for TZ on Donovan:Donovan ist ein interessanter Spieler. Aber wenn man einen Klose, einen Toni und einen Olic schon unter Vertrag hat, dann sind wir der Meinung, dass der vierte Spieler eher ein junger Spieler mit Perspektive sein sollte.

"Donovan is an interesting player.But when you have Klose , Toni and Olic in your squad we believe that the 4th striker should be a young player with prospect."

http://www.tz-online.de/de/sport/fcbayern/artikel_59246.html

:wink:
MrLinky
I post all the time

Postby Tomas » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:58 am

MrLinky wrote:
shwas55 wrote:Linky could you please post the Donovan thing again. Thanx

The second time I'm posting this , the first post has disappeared and no one knows why .. :|

I posted a few posts in a couple of different areas and they too disappeared :-k :-k :-k
Tomas
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby xevi » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:44 am

MrLinky wrote:

"Donovan is an interesting player.But when you have Klose , Toni and Olic in your squad we believe that the 4th striker should be a young player with prospect."

http://www.tz-online.de/de/sport/fcbayern/artikel_59246.html

dfinitevely müller will be our 4rth striker. maybe he won't be a star but we don't know whereas we know donovan won't be it. i think it's a good decision. we have to give time tor our young players and i hope he and ekici can become players like lahm or schweinisteiger and not as hummels or others who finally hasn't stayed at bayern.
xevi
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Postby Jorge » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:27 am

FCBinNYC wrote:To be fair to him, I think he should start against Koln regardless of whether Toni's fit or not, I say this because he definitely looked better against Berlin with an hour than he did against all the other teams with 10-20 minutes. If he doesn't start even one match, then honestly I feel like we wasted both his time and ours. I'm not saying that Landon (or anyone) should be blindly handed a shirt, it just seems strange that we went through with this loan/trial deal and so far have neglected to try him out as anything more than a sub.

I just read today that Toni will not be fit, but Podolski will start with Klose with Donovan as a sub.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=620401&cc=5901

If Toni is fit for the CL game in Portugal and goes more than 60 minutes he might get rested 3 days later against Bremen and this might the last shot for Donovan but I am under the impression that he is gone back to LA, the other European club that showed interest in him (Everton) does not need him anymore, there has been rumours about Rangers also but they tried Sacha Kljestan and refused to pay what the MLS wanted, I doubt they will pay 8 or 10 M for Landon. The two scoring chances not converted against Berlin sealed his fate, true that in one case an outstanding save prevented the goal but at the end we lost the game, if Donovan would have scored giving us three points everyone would be talking now about keeping him, but it did not go that way.
Jorge
I post all the time

National Flag:
World Trade Organization

Postby shwas55 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:59 am

Well Donovan returns to the US on the 10th, so the match against Hannover will be his last in a Bayern shirt since it was semi confirmed by Rummenigge and even Klinsi that we wont be signing him in the summer.

I think its the right decision for Bayern, we have Klose, Toni, Olic, and looks like Müller will be our 4th striker.

Sadly for Donovan he couldnt prove himself as a striker or a midfielder.

Good luck to him.
shwas55
I post all the time

Postby MrLinky » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:51 am

shwas55 wrote:Good luck to him.

I'm sure there are other European clubs who would love to have him in ths squad , he'll probably go to L.A. first until he finds another European club to move to that wants him and is ready to pay the required transfer fee for him.He has said it often enough that it's his dream to play somewhere in Europe.Unfortunately what he's shown hasn't been enough for a club of the format of Bayern , he'll probably end up at a mediocre club like Middlesborough.
MrLinky
I post all the time

PreviousNext

Return to Bayern Player & Staff Discussion