You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Jérôme Boateng

Discussions about the former / present players & staff, and their personal life. Was a player fined for speeding? Did a former player become a coach? Find it all here.

Re: Jérôme Boateng

Postby Bentonomo » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:31 am

#12 wrote:Erm... Don't get me wrong, I love Hummels... But all of a sudden Boa is shit and Hummels is infallible? A year and a half ago you all would've pissed yourself with that statement... We're talking about the German player of the year here...

I know but martinez hummels partnership was looking very strong
Bentonomo
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Mexico

Postby aterford » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:19 am

I love Boateng but I actually think the discussion does have some merit.
Boateng had a period of nearly two months of health to get in form and assert a starting spot and for the most part Carlo showed that he preferred to stick with the partnership of Javi/Hummels. It's not a knock against Boateng, but for me Javi and Hummels have both been playing SO well this year (two of our top players IMO) that Boateng wasn't going to be able to bench either of them unless it came by route of injury. Even if he stays healthy, it would not surprise me at all if Hummels-Martinez continued to be Carlo's preferred pairing heading into 17/18.
aterford
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby envagyokazapad » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:09 am

Oh that's really not what I meant. Boa isn't shit, in fact I think he's still the best defender on the squad with all things considered (physicality, pace, intelligence, passing range), however Hummels and Javi are in better form, and Carlo clearly seems to have a preference for these two.

I was merely trying to describe what a difficult situation a "currently 3rd choice" CB is in, when it comes to breaking into an already well established CB-pairing:
- Carlo prefers Hummels/Martinez
- Hummels and Martinez have been solid throughout the season
- Hummels and Martinez have been playing together for basically an entire season now...
- The way we play, Boateng's passing range isn't utilized to "Guardiola-extents" anymore, which takes away one his biggest advantages

But more importantly: there's just not enough competition in BuLi for a CB to show his worth. Most teams pose little threat to goal, so it's hard to put on an impressive display...the same way, it is much harder in BuLi to completely flop (for Hummels/Martinez in this case). It's not even a case of "if he's good enough" but rather will he be able to prove it...

But that's just the way it is, we have three top class players for 2 positions, with a 4th quality choice coming in. I'm positive it's not really possible to maintain this, rotation is a myth, if you don't play the important games, then the rest doesn't really matter. This is why I said that if we want to keep all three players, we'll have to at least consider Boateng as RB, or a 3 CB lineup.
envagyokazapad
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby ramsej84 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:46 am

We brought Hummels for something...
Just saying...
Even the NT suffered his absence.
His presence installs tranquillity and composure to the whole defense.
He is a leader... Both Boa and Javi are followers.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:47 am

ramsej84 wrote:We brought Hummels for something...
Just saying...
Even the NT suffered his absence.
His presence installs tranquillity and composure to the whole defense.
He is a leader... Both Boa and Javi are followers.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Don't forget that until last season Martinez wasn't a regular. We used to say he's only good at CB when we played with 3 at the back. Then Boateng got injured, Carlo decided to give Martinez a shot, and he delivered. Hardly anyone would have predicted this.

I was one of the first to say that at this point I prefer Javi-Hummels at CB when Boateng returned from injury and at this stage that would still be my ideal partnership for Real. But Boateng is excellent. He was playing below his average (yet much higher than most CBs in Europe) this season but we know hes capable of being better than Hummels and Javi. Hummels himself struggled quite a bit on his last two Dortmund seasons. I trust Boateng to deliver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Jérôme Boateng

Postby pyrasur » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:20 pm

They are all good. I'm really excited by Javi this season, he's such a tenacious defender. Boateng has over the past 4-5 years become one of the worlds best center backs. And Hummels has proved me wrong. I was dismayed by some of his performances for Dortmund, but the guy is a bedrock of the national team and he's been great here.
而剑法的最高境界,则是手中无剑,心中也无剑,是以大胸怀,包容一切。那便是不杀,便是和平。-英雄
pyrasur
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby ottackon » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:30 pm

Less than a year ago, everyone was saying that he's the best CB in the world in this very thread, but after two serious injuries and few poor performances, he became a lame duck, Wow! People have such a short memory.
ottackon
I live on BayernForum.com

National Flag:
Morocco

Postby ramsej84 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:06 pm

I think with Hummels next to him he is better, much better...

Who remembers Baresi and Costacurta ? Costacurta was good but next to Baresi he looked much better.
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby pyrasur » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:02 pm

ottackon wrote:Less than a year ago, everyone was saying that he's the best CB in the world in this very thread, but after two serious injuries and few poor performances, he became a lame duck, Wow! People have such a short memory.

Yup. I think when a player is out of the mind's eye, it becomes a little easier to forget what they bring to the table.

Same happened to Thiago, clearly talented, but because he was injured that converted to "goes missing in big games". Of course! There was a period where he was on the bench by Pep in last part of 15-16 true (though even then he had some meh performance but still could find something to deliver like his sub against Juve). But outside of that if he was missing it was usually because he literally couldn't be there because he was injured.
pyrasur
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby envagyokazapad » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:55 pm

ottackon wrote:Less than a year ago, everyone was saying that he's the best CB in the world in this very thread, but after two serious injuries and few poor performances, he became a lame duck, Wow! People have such a short memory.

Where? I just said the exact opposite 2 posts ago...
envagyokazapad
I post all the time

Postby envagyokazapad » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:57 pm

pyrasur wrote:

Yup. I think when a player is out of the mind's eye, it becomes a little easier to forget what they bring to the table.

Same happened to Thiago, clearly talented, but because he was injured that converted to "goes missing in big games". Of course! There was a period where he was on the bench by Pep in last part of 15-16 true (though even then he had some meh performance but still could find something to deliver like his sub against Juve). But outside of that if he was missing it was usually because he literally couldn't be there because he was injured.

Geez. Will you guys at least read what I wrote? It's like you are debating something that hasn't even been said...
envagyokazapad
I post all the time

Postby ottackon » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:42 pm

Sorry man, I didn't see your last post.
ottackon
I live on BayernForum.com

National Flag:
Morocco

Postby zozon » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:55 am

There were times when we were playing a CL final with Demichelis/van Buyten as a pair... Now we are being lame about a Boateng/Martinez duo for a quarter-final first leg. :roll:
pyrasur wrote:
It's shaped like a sword. Because that's how formations work. We will only be beaten if Atletico form a rock. We will beat them if they form paper tho.
zozon
I post all the time

Postby pyrasur » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:31 am

God this envagyokazapad character hates Boateng so much

Just kidding mate I was responding to a general feeling. I actually felt like I was agreeing. I think whoever the 3rd choice is actually a great CB, they just have to have something fall in place in order to get their chance to start.
pyrasur
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby envagyokazapad » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:23 pm

I've been posting here long enough for peeps to know by now that I love Boa...it's enough just reading back a few pages here :P

zozon, no need to pull the "stop being so negative card" because nobody on this thread is worried about Boateng's quality...it's the opposite if you actually read the posts.
envagyokazapad
I post all the time

PreviousNext

Return to Bayern Player & Staff Discussion