You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Jens Lehmann

Discussions about the former / present players & staff, and their personal life. Was a player fined for speeding? Did a former player become a coach? Find it all here.

Should Lehmann be dropped from Germany #1 spot, just like Kahn was?

YES!!!! OF COURSE!!!!
67%
I dont care about his performances at Arsenal
11%
No Lehmann still should be Germany's #1
22%

Total votes : 18

Jens Lehmann

Postby SNAKE » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:36 pm

It seems that Lehmann is back doing business as usual, doing blunders.... Finally he has been dropped from the number 1 spot at Arsenal and has been replaced by Almunia(who is more reliable) for the Champions league game against Sparta Prague, after 2 magnificent blunders against Fulham and Blackburn he was dropped for the win against Man City. Does this mean that FINALLY he should be dropped from Germany's number 1 spot too? Because he really never deserved that spot anyway.

SNAKE

Edited by MUTU (reason for editing: replaced Lamemann with Lehmann. Kindly show respect)
SNAKE
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby MUTU » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:14 pm

A few points:

1) The name as you know is Lehmann, not Lamemann. You should learn to respect players. The only player you're allowed to call Lame is Lahm, because Lahm means lame in German.

2) He was not dropped from the number 1 spot at Arsenal

3) The reason why he was replaced by Alumnia for the Champions League match against Sparta Prague, and against Manchester City is the simplest of all. He was injured during the international match against England, and will be back approximately by 15th September.

4) There are many talented keepers in Germany, but very few who are both talented and experienced. Besides, none of the keepers are doing particularly well at the moment. Hildebrand, Germany's 2nd keeper, is not first choice for his club Valencia whereas 3rd keeper Enke was beaten 3 times on Saturday against Bayern and didn't make any outstanding saves. So, who would you play? Young, inexperienced Neuer?
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby kevh26 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:13 pm

for the time being, i would drop him, as far as Germany are concerned, they should qualify without issue from their group and this could be a great time to test some younger less experienced players while lehmann has a dip in form...

oh and sorry Mark, i dont think you'll agree but as for hildebrand, even if he isn't first choice atValencia, he's getting plenty of matches to keep up his fitness and technique...
kevh26
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby tracylynn » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:36 pm

WOW! Talk about disliking a player. Lehmann is just like every other goalie out there. He's not always perfect but who is? No one. Yes, he makes blunders but every player on the pitch makes blunders at one time or another. I can not think of any player who is perfect 100% of the time.

Personally, I think he should stay as the number one keeper at the moment. Just because he almost screwed up the game against England is not reason enough to pull him from the spot. If he keeps it up then he can be remove but until then .... no. Plus, he has stated that he was only going to play international football until Euro 2008 and he's done. So, you don't have to wait much longer for him to be off your screen.
Raider (1996-2007) - A very lovable cat that I will miss dearly.
tracylynn
I post all the time

Postby SNAKE » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:03 pm

MUTU wrote:A few points:

1) The name as you know is Lehmann, not Lamemann. You should learn to respect players. The only player you're allowed to call Lame is Lahm, because Lahm means lame in German.

Ummm respect the person who made a public statement that Kahn shouldnt be the number 1 keeper for his home world cup just because he screwed up on his personal life? No thanks.

2) He was not dropped from the number 1 spot at Arsenal[/quote]

His place is no longer secured, Wenger confirmed.

3) The reason why he was replaced by Alumnia for the Champions League match against Sparta Prague, and against Manchester City is the simplest of all. He was injured during the international match against England, and will be back approximately by 15th September.[/quote]

That and also for his poor form, according to a report from the dailystar, it states that he was fit for the match against City.

And..

"Reports in the tabloid press yesterday suggested that Lehmann’s exclusion from the squad was due to the errors he has made, as opposed to an injury sustained.

It was speculated that the 37-year-old had demanded a showdown with his manager and that his future with the club was in doubt."

4) There are many talented keepers in Germany, but very few who are both talented and experienced. Besides, none of the keepers are doing particularly well at the moment. Hildebrand, Germany's 2nd keeper, is not first choice for his club Valencia whereas 3rd keeper Enke was beaten 3 times on Saturday against Bayern and didn't make any outstanding saves. So, who would you play? Young, inexperienced Neuer?[/quote]

Hildebrand is still way better than "him" and he will replace Santi Canizarez either this season on the next and Valencia are bigger than Arsenal(in my opinion), Enke isnt bad either but I preffer Weise and Weidenfeller or Rensing or even Rost than L.... Its better toi have a reliable keeper rather than a clown who thinks he's somethin special, and when was the last time L.... made an outstanding save? Against Blackburn? lol.

SNAKE[/quote]
SNAKE
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby tracylynn » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:39 pm

No offense, Snake, but your arguement does not hold, at least in my opinion, because everything you have stated can apply to every player on the pitch. Is he a clown? I don't think so. Does he think he's something special? Porbably so but so doesn't every player out there. They all think they're special. They all get big heads. Seriously, take a look at the players, including your favorites. They all have egos.

Who said that Kahn was dropped from the number one spot because of his personal life? I'm not seeing that quote anywhere but I guess Jens said that in an interview and we all know that is not true. Anyway, Kahn has made similiar comments about Jens so how can you respect him? I think you're taking this too personally because Kahn got dropped, therefore your holding a grudge that really is not necessary.
tracylynn
I post all the time

Postby tracylynn » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:46 pm

08-30-2007
Under-fire Lehmann in fitness battle to face Wales

Germany's head coach Joachim Loew has insisted that injured Arsenal goalkeeper Jens Lehmann will wear the number one shirt against Wales in their Euro 2008 qualifier if he is fit.

Lehmann aggravated an Achilles tendon injury in Germany's 2-1 friendly win over England on August 22 and faces a race against time to be fit for the Millennium Stadium clash on September 8.

Lehmann, 37, made two high-profile errors for Arsenal in the last fortnight, but Loew insists he will play unless injury forces the promotion of Valencia's Timo Hildebrand.

'At the moment, it is questionable whether Jens Lehmann can play,' Loew told German sports agency SID.

'If he is fit, he will play. But we have to wait to see how the injury progresses.'

On Friday, Loew will announce his squad to face Wales and the friendly against Romania on September 12 in Cologne.

Germany lead Group D with 19 points from seven matches and have a five-point lead at the top of the table, while Wales are fifth with seven points from six matches.

Germany and Wales have met 13 times with Germany winning six matches, Wales two and five matches have ended in a draw.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At the moment, Jens is still the number one guy. If he's injured and is still not 100% then that could explain his performance lately.
tracylynn
I post all the time

Postby kevh26 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:00 pm

as far as his injury is concerned, I don't think it's got a great deal to do with his blunders, they were (in the PL at least) silly mistakes, like trying to punch a shot away when it would've been an easy catch, making it spin into his own net!

as a rule of thumb i like to think that international sides should be built up of in form players, the same reason why i believe robinson should be dropped for engalnd and replaced with david james

under this ruling, i don't see how lehmann could possibly be involved in the first team!
kevh26
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby SNAKE » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:37 am

tracylynn wrote:No offense, Snake, but your arguement does not hold, at least in my opinion, because everything you have stated can apply to every player on the pitch. Is he a clown? I don't think so. Does he think he's something special? Porbably so but so doesn't every player out there. They all think they're special. They all get big heads. Seriously, take a look at the players, including your favorites. They all have egos.

My arguement holds, in my opinion he's a clown, he thinks that he's like a class keeper or somethin and no one can touch him, there were some moments even durin a match(like against Chelsea last season) where he on purpose pushed Didier Drogba after a corner was taken. Every player tries to show his class during a match, somethin which Lehmann never done neither on the pitch nor on the media. By the way which favourite players of mine has an ego like Lehmann?

Who said that Kahn was dropped from the number one spot because of his personal life? I'm not seeing that quote anywhere but I guess Jens said that in an interview and we all know that is not true. Anyway, Kahn has made similiar comments about Jens so how can you respect him? I think you're taking this too personally because Kahn got dropped, therefore your holding a grudge that really is not necessary.

Im didnt say that he was dropped cause of his life, I said that Lehmann did a public statement right after the headlines of Oliver's mistake was out, he also made a lot of attack on Oliver before the Euro 2004, look better for the statments, try searching on the fcbayern site aswell, while Kahn had never made a public outburst, Kahn being dropped had a positive side to it, atleast he can fully concentrate on Fc Bayern rather than Germany, for me personally I no longer give a hell about the national team I just rather enjoy watching Bayern players play with their countries, showing their skills like they do at Bayern on the national stage and also Lehmann should be dropped also because of his form, Timo is better and more suitable atleats thats what Sepp Maier stated in 2004.

Bayern and Germany goalkeeping coach Sepp Maier reckons Olli Kahn's natural successor is currently keeping goal for Stuttgart: 59 year-old legend Maier believes Timo Hildebrand is set to succeed the Bayern number one in goal for the three-times World Cup winners. "Kahn's successor will end up being pretty old because he's going to have to wait a long time, but I think Timo Hildebrand can do it," Maier told Die Zeit newspaper.

Also i agree with kevh26, Kahn did mistakes but Lehmann did far more and worser (with Arsenal, Dortmund and Milan). I personally hope he keeps at it so everyone can see what a fake he is.

SNAKE

Edited by Tracylynn - corrected the spelling of the name
SNAKE
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Postby tracylynn » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:02 am

Personally, I think this discussion is a waste of time because you hate this man so much that no matter what anyone says it won't make a difference. I think most folks who were suprised by Klinsmann's decision has let it go and no longer care. All they want is Germany to win and that is what I want. I don't care who the keeper is just as long as they win. Plus, you can not seem to address him by his proper name which doesn't help.

I don't know who are your favorite players but all players seem to have an ego. Anyone can tell you that. Whether they show their egos on the pitch or not, they all have it.

BTW... I think we all assume that Timo will be the next keeper of Germany...right after Lehmann.
tracylynn
I post all the time

Postby SNAKE » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:51 am

Personally I just started this topic cause to spice up the forum a bit, I thought everyone would be interested to join the debate. But personally I really think he should be left out, I beleive he did his time and its about time to bring in new guns into the national team, personally I preffer Hildebrand now, BEFORE the Euro08 so Germany can take it back and bring glory. Personally I really cant see what you like about Jens, everyone knows how avarage he is, he doesnt deserve the #1 to be honest.

SNAKE
SNAKE
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Postby tracylynn » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:45 pm

I never said that I liked him. I'm playing the devil's advocate and showing how everything that you say can be applied to ever player on the pitch. Personally, I really don't understand all the hatred that is geared to him. Then again, I don't understand how anyone can really hate, and I'm stressing the hate part, someone that they don't even know, but that's just me.
tracylynn
I post all the time

Postby MUTU » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:50 pm

SNAKE wrote:By the way which favourite players of mine has an ego like Lehmann?

I'm not reading the whole thread cos it's getting pointless and repetitive, but I just had to answer this. Oliver Kahn. I don't know of any other footballer in the history of football who has/had an ego bigger than Kahn's.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby SNAKE » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:08 am

At least Kahn doesnt go taunting his National team rivals on the media stating a hell load of crap like Jens did, or mentioning about mistakes in personal life, atleast he was always loyal to Bayern since he join till he retires, had plenty of chances to leave and join other clubs, big ego but a great keeper and a great clubman.

SNAKE
SNAKE
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Postby Paddy » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:05 pm

Not true. When Deisler was included in in German squad in 2002 for WC, Kahn stated that mentally ill footballers shouldnt plax at a high level like that. Oh and Kahn said that if he was the keeper at the WC 2006 Germany would have win....

And I´m a big Kahn fan. He´s my favourite player but he has as big ego as Lehmann.
And you need to show some confidence in players in crisis...like Bayern did with Kahn after WC 02 and like Germany did with Klose few months ago.
Save the Earth. It´s the only planet with beer.

Paddy
I post all the time

Next

Return to Bayern Player & Staff Discussion