You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Carlo Ancelotti

Discussions about the former / present players & staff, and their personal life. Was a player fined for speeding? Did a former player become a coach? Find it all here.

Re: Carlo Ancelotti

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:39 pm

FCB general wrote:Not just that, but 2003/2004 against Deportivo 4:1 win and 4:0 defeat. That is impossible to repeat, especially for Bayern even if Hermann Gerland would be in charge of this team.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the biggest first leg loss anyone has ever overturned (unless it was overturned very recently)? We should find comfort in that tie. :)
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby DRvad14 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:34 am

Ancelotti allays fears that Bayern Munich have grown too comfortable BY RAPHAEL HONIGSTEIN

Spoiler: show
Some stories get told so often they become a mantra, a sacred utterance believed to have spiritual powers. A prayer. For Bayern Munich, the club who carry the self-referential, self-reverential "Mia san Mia" ("We are who we are") slogan stitched inside their team shirts, the endlessly repeated story of the past few weeks told of punctuality. Or, to put it in less technical terms, of their ability to be "there" when it really matters -- in the big games, against big teams.

"We said all along we would show up," Arjen Robben said after the final whistle at the Allianz Arena on Wednesday, following Bayern's 5-1 defeat of Arsenal. "In the seven-and-a-half years I've been here, we've always done that."

It's not entirely true, of course. No team can always play at their best when called upon. Even Robben's Bayern have had quite a few off days, ranging from a chaotic round-of-16 exit vs. Internazionale in 2011 to big-time, big-scoreline failures against Real Madrid (2014) and Barcelona (2015) in two Champions League semifinals under Pep Guardiola.

As much as the German champions have been able to play at a consistently high level in Europe, by and large, since Robben's arrival in 2009, the mere fact that many Bayern players talked about the pressing need to find a second gear, to go up a notch or two from a pretty humdrum Bundesliga campaign, tells you that they themselves had some residual doubts about Carlo Ancelotti's master plan.Wednesday's emphatic 5-1 win against an embarrassingly inept Arsenal can be seen as "proof of concept," it allows the Italian to continue with his low-intensity regime, until the quarterfinals at least. But what it won't do is alleviate the more fundamental concerns of the board about the 57-year-old's methods.

Firstly, Arsenal's performance -- bar a decent, semi-coherent 20 minutes in the first half -- was so devastatingly poor for a Champions League knockout match that it was hard to think of it of a big game against a big team at all. The Gunners' game, a timid, anaemic showing devoid of concept and confidence, was more on par with visits of Shakhtar Donetsk and FC Basel to the Allianz Arena in recent years. Both games finished 7-0. Neither club bosses nor players will get carried away after knocking out Arsene Wenger's team with one game to spare. There were just about enough shaky moments at the back and passages of uninspired attacking at the other end to withhold judgement for another day.

Secondly, and more importantly still, the match offered glimpses of a more worrisome issue: This team is playing on borrowed time. Bayern's starting XI on Wednesday was the oldest side to start a Champions League tie since 2005, with an average age of more than 29 years. Yes, Ancelotti's preference for experienced pros is well documented. And yes, this wouldn't be the first time that a team slightly past their best succeeds in the Champions League. Ancelotti might well be the perfect manager for this bunch of veterans, keeping exertions during the week at a minimum and trusting them to come up with solutions on the pitch. Robben, Arturo Vidal, Philipp Lahm, Xabi Alonso, Robert Lewandowski; these guys don't need a motivator on the touchline shouting at them.

But Bayern want and crave more. They want not mere management of the squad but proactive coaching that furthers the development of the next generation -- Joshua Kimmich, Renato Sanches, Kingsley Coman, Niklas Sule, plus more new signings to come -- and their collective playing style. Bayern will have to reinvent themselves without Lahm and Xabi Alonso next season, and they're not entirely sure that Ancelotti's relaxed style is best suited to that momentous task ahead.

It's worth noting, in that context, that Ancelotti's decision not to appoint an experienced assistant coach after the departure of Paul Clement to Swansea raised eyebrows (no pun intended) at Sabener Strasse. Clement's duties are now shared by Hermann Gerland and Ancelotti's son Davide, 27.

It might seem churlish to question your manager's credentials after the results he's delivered so far, but Bayern have learned to look beyond the scoreline, at training, at ideas, at process, at all the things the man on the sideline can directly influence. That's why Guardiola survived the two aforementioned disastrous Champions League semifinals unscathed; that's why they would have liked to renew his contract, his "failure" to win the European Cup and his rather cold, complex behaviour notwithstanding.

With Ancelotti, by contrast, life's been easy for everyone concerned. The board's instincts about him were right; his genial manner has made for a less frantic and fraught environment, on an emotional level, he's been the ideal successor to Guardiola. The win over Arsenal will allay fears that the team has become too comfortable -- some players, too, were worried -- to challenge in Europe, the manager's standing inside and outside the dressing room has grown. Everyone believes in him and his story, that his Bayern will turn up when called upon, a little more.

But that doesn't change the fact that it's likely to be a different story next year, when simply turning up on time might well not be enough anymore
DRvad14
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membership

National Flag:
India
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member

Postby JANCKER » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:14 pm

Lizarazu tips Ancelotti's Bayern to go far in the Champions League [source]
.........................................Image.........................................
JANCKER
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Basque Country

Postby prasun77 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:22 pm

He is showing some passion now..i like it..
Bayernaholic!
prasun77
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
India

Postby Coman » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:25 pm

prasun77 wrote:He is showing some passion now..i like it..

Should show many others things too...
For good football : Neuer - Kimmich, Boateng, Hummels, Alaba - Vidal (Tolisso), Thiago (Tolisso) - Robben, Müller (James), James (Ribéry) - Lewandowski

For boring football : 4-3-3
Coman
I'm a post king!

Years of membership

National Flag:
France

Postby FCB general » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:12 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:
FCB general wrote:Not just that, but 2003/2004 against Deportivo 4:1 win and 4:0 defeat. That is impossible to repeat, especially for Bayern even if Hermann Gerland would be in charge of this team.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the biggest first leg loss anyone has ever overturned (unless it was overturned very recently)? We should find comfort in that tie. :)

I don't know. :) But that was a hell of a game at Riazor en La Coruña. I really liked that Deportivo with a genius Juan Carlos Valerón, Diego Tristan, Pandiani, Capdevilla, Manuel Pablo, Djalminha, Mauro Silva, Jorge Andrade, Sergio, Scaloni... :)
Cada loco con su tema.
FCB general
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Red Cross

Postby ottackon » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:57 pm

FCB general wrote:
FCBayernMunchen wrote:

I don't know. :) But that was a hell of a game at Riazor en La Coruña. I really liked that Deportivo with a genius Juan Carlos Valerón, Diego Tristan, Pandiani, Capdevilla, Manuel Pablo, Djalminha, Mauro Silva, Jorge Andrade, Sergio, Scaloni... :)

Noreddine Naybet 8)
ottackon

National Flag:
Morocco

Postby ottackon » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:58 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:

Real Madrid 4-0 Gladbach after 5-1 for the germans in the first leg.
ottackon

National Flag:
Morocco

Postby Achilles » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:42 am

Honestly Raphael Honigstein sounds more and more of a Pep fan, I read his articles from now and then but just because you don't agree with someone methods doesn't mean a thing. Relaxed style, anxious Bayern board, players not trust his methods well I wonder is he really so well informed because it's the first time in my life that I see Ancelotti getting so much "gentle" hate. He has been in numerous big clubs before or clubs with very high goals and everyone including players,staff and bosses are talking sweet about Carlo Ancelotti as a manager and as a human being!
How the hell this guy since he came at Munich became a coach of problematic coaching methods with players that don't believe in him is a mystery that only Benedict Cumberbatch can solve.

I see an ambient that tries to deconstruct Ancelotti but the results are blocking the attacks, it's a pity, I acknowledge that obviously we're not play very attractive at weekends no doubt we can do MUCH better but you don't get it, he came for the CL trophy while in the process should just win the league, who cares we win it with +15 or +2 points clear? Personally, I don't! and of course I would exchange the league title for the CL trophy!
Mia san mia
Achilles
I post all the time

Postby #12 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:09 pm

Achilles wrote:Honestly Raphael Honigstein sounds more and more of a Pep fan, I read his articles from now and then but just because you don't agree with someone methods doesn't mean a thing. Relaxed style, anxious Bayern board, players not trust his methods well I wonder is he really so well informed because it's the first time in my life that I see Ancelotti getting so much "gentle" hate. He has been in numerous big clubs before or clubs with very high goals and everyone including players,staff and bosses are talking sweet about Carlo Ancelotti as a manager and as a human being!
How the hell this guy since he came at Munich became a coach of problematic coaching methods with players that don't believe in him is a mystery that only Benedict Cumberbatch can solve.

I see an ambient that tries to deconstruct Ancelotti but the results are blocking the attacks, it's a pity, I acknowledge that obviously we're not play very attractive at weekends no doubt we can do MUCH better but you don't get it, he came for the CL trophy while in the process should just win the league, who cares we win it with +15 or +2 points clear? Personally, I don't! and of course I would exchange the league title for the CL trophy!

No! CL is the icing, you need a cake to enjoy it - Bundesliga!

About the rest: Honigstein is a columnist... He's entertaining, but his networking - at least in Germany - is poor... That being said: many well informed German journalists keep talking about a strange atmosphere in Munich and somewhat of a mistrust in the coach... I think it's too many for it to be complete nonsense - but I also think that after Wednesday he's clear for a while...
Thanks for nothing, :pep: !!

Years of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby Coman » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:39 pm

Can't see tweet? Click here!

Love this.. at least he is natural. It's not like Guardiola making drama sometimes.
For good football : Neuer - Kimmich, Boateng, Hummels, Alaba - Vidal (Tolisso), Thiago (Tolisso) - Robben, Müller (James), James (Ribéry) - Lewandowski

Coman
I'm a post king!

Years of membership

National Flag:
France

Postby JANCKER » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:02 pm

#12 wrote:No! CL is the icing, you need a cake to enjoy it - Bundesliga!

You should ask Lahm, Alonso, Robben, Ribery and others if they prefer to win the CL or another BuLi... some players wouldn't have come or stayed if we didn't play in the CL.
.........................................Image.........................................
JANCKER

National Flag:
Basque Country

Postby aterford » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:16 pm

Coman wrote: Can't see tweet? Click here!

Love this.. at least he is natural. It's not like Guardiola making drama sometimes.

Oh please. You know fully well that if Pep had done this you would have flipped out.
aterford
I post all the time

Postby Coman » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:17 pm

aterford wrote:
Coman wrote: Can't see tweet? Click here!

Oh please. You know fully well that if Pep had done this you would have flipped out.

Get out my mind please

Coman
I'm a post king!

Years of membership

National Flag:
France

Postby JANCKER » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:32 pm

Ancelotti should've waited for him in the parking lot...
JANCKER

National Flag:
Basque Country

PreviousNext

Return to Bayern Player & Staff Discussion