You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

General World Cup 2014 Thread

FC Bayern youth teams, Premiere LigaPokal and other miscellaneous matches.

Re: [2013-12-06] Germany vs ??? — World Cup draws

Postby Robb3449 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:03 pm

MoFattal wrote:All I wanted is to have Germany and Ghana in different groups :( Second time in a row.

I feel your pain, Mo! Only one team I didn't want to see play Germany and now they're in their group. #-o Oh well, should make for some great headlines (Klinsmann vs. Low) even if the games aren't epic.

Definitely a tough group for Germany but, there's no reason they shouldn't win the group. Portugal and Ghana will most likely be battling it out for 2nd. I give the slight edge to Ghana, though CR7 can always prove otherwise. It would take a monumental effort for the US to get outta the group.
Reggie Jackson (of the 1977 NY Yankees) when asked, "What's the biggest thing you've noticed (about the team) since being injured?" " The magnitude of ME!"
Robb3449
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
United States of America
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby Evandro » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:24 pm

Oh God
I'll see half FC Bayern team in my home city vs CR7 and his boys...
You'll find me Brothers on TV with the Bavarian hat and FCB flag!
FCB uber alles
Evandro
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Brazil

Postby MoFattal » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:50 pm

Robb3449 wrote:
MoFattal wrote:All I wanted is to have Germany and Ghana in different groups :( Second time in a row.

I feel your pain, Mo! Only one team I didn't want to see play Germany and now they're in their group. #-o Oh well, should make for some great headlines (Klinsmann vs. Low) even if the games aren't epic.

Definitely a tough group for Germany but, there's no reason they shouldn't win the group. Portugal and Ghana will most likely be battling it out for 2nd. I give the slight edge to Ghana, though CR7 can always prove otherwise. It would take a monumental effort for the US to get outta the group.

Yeah, in 2010 it was weird watching the game, although my footballing soul was a bit stronger :D It will be a very tough group and I can't really predict who will qualify second after Germany.
MoFattal
2011/12 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Lebanon

Postby Robb3449 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:11 am

Going "out on a limb" with Ghana. Just a feeling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reggie Jackson (of the 1977 NY Yankees) when asked, "What's the biggest thing you've noticed (about the team) since being injured?" " The magnitude of ME!"
Robb3449
I'm a chatterbox!

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby ramsej84 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:14 am

I made a quick search about the geographical locations of Germany's fixtures after reading than many coaches were praying to avoid fixtures in the northern area of Brazil. Which area has a very humid and hot climate (ENG-ITA to be played there - that is why it is scheduled @21.00 LT{maybe})
Germany play Portugal @ Salvador NE @13.00, Ghana in Fortaleza also NE and finaly @ 16.00 & finally the US @ Recife(NE) @ also @ 13.00.
The scheduled hours are crazy to say the least I think Germany will suffer a lot especially vs Ghana. I rate the 1st game vs Por already as a final cause I believe that Ghana will qualify.
Back to the climate ; the NE is also very hot,humid & rains a lot :shock:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Brazil

A couple of week ago I heard that there were talks about changing (moving forward) some games. I hope that they'll do, common sense has to prevail (although I doubt that they'll actually change times) and also for the beauty of the game itself.
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Re: General World Cup 2014 Thread

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:41 am

Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:04 pm

There are allegations that the draw was fixed, because the person responsible for revealing the teams was opening the ball in plain visibility but hiding his hands before taking out the paper showing the team.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Jorge » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:04 pm

The order in which teams play is also important, and within the group Portugal has the toughest order.

Germany should beat Portugal in the first game and from there on it depends on what Portugal team takes the field against USA, then Ghana.
If it is the Portugal that I watched against Israel and Russia they will struggle, if it is the Portugal that showed up in Stockholm with CR7 only tasked with counter-attacking nobody will stop them. But the USA has the team to hold them (a more limited USA side actually beat a better Portugal in World Cup 2002 that went home from the Group stage) and if Portugal goes in urgent need of points vs Ghana still with chances in the 3rd game while the USA plays an already qualified Germany I can see Portugal in big trouble.
Jorge
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
World Trade Organization

Postby TexasFCB » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:46 am

Robb3449 wrote:

Do you really think that it will be that hard for America to get out. They are giving Portugal something like a 1% more likely chance of getting out of the group. Think about it: US could (should) beat Ghana, finally exorcising those demons. Then we play Portugal, who are possibly the most overrated team in the world right now. We may beat them, but a tie would be expected. Then we play Germany, who chances are would slaughter the US, UNLESS they have already qualified and they play a second team, who very may well slaughter us, but we would at least have a chance.

So in otherwords, I am not super worried. Especially if Klinsi can rally the troops, and our defense actually plays well.
TexasFCB
Woah, this feels cool!

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby Robb3449 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:57 am

TexasFCB wrote:
Robb3449 wrote:

Do you really think that it will be that hard for America to get out. They are giving Portugal something like a 1% more likely chance of getting out of the group. Think about it: US could (should) beat Ghana, finally exorcising those demons. Then we play Portugal, who are possibly the most overrated team in the world right now. We may beat them, but a tie would be expected. Then we play Germany, who chances are would slaughter the US, UNLESS they have already qualified and they play a second team, who very may well slaughter us, but we would at least have a chance.

So in otherwords, I am not super worried. Especially if Klinsi can rally the troops, and our defense actually plays well.

You make some good points although, I'm not a big believer in the Soccer Power Index. A "monumental" effort is an over-statement. :oops: However, the US won't have any "easy" matches in the group stage.

Ghana is the so-called "easiest" and there is certainly motivation there but they are well-organized and are always good on the counter-attack. And obviously, we know what they've done to the US in the last 2 WCs.

Who knows which Portugal shows up ( the one who was bad throughout qualifying or the one who looked pretty dangerous vs. Sweden in the playoff). They may be a one-man team but, they're a lot of opponents who tried to take CR7 out of the game and failed.

Germany may have qualified already but might have a little extra motivation (no matter which team is selected) to avenge the loss to the US this summer.

Also a factor is that the US travels the most (I think) of any team throughout GS. Almost 9,000 miles and Klinsmann is a big believer in body rejuvenation and re-energizing. I don't think this is a major factor but with the climate, altitude, and humidity changes in the different regions of Brazil and the travel it could play a part.

At the end of the day, my biggest concern for the US is (and always is) can they score enough goals or create enough good chances to compete with every team. They've made good strides in this area and as a team (on the whole) in recent years but, I don't know if it's enough. Hope they prove me wrong.
Robb3449
I'm a chatterbox!

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby Jorge » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:22 pm

Robb3449 wrote: Ghana is the so-called "easiest" and there is certainly motivation there but they are well-organized and are always good on the counter-attack. And obviously, we know what they've done to the US in the last 2 WCs.

It's not like they blew the US out of the pitch either. Both times they won by 1 goal from stupid mistakes by the US holding mids (in 2006 from an aged Claudio Reyna, 2010 by Ricardo Clark) at least a Michael Bradley-Jermaine Jones combo looks much better this time) and I do not know about Ghana being well organized, when they are on they look energetic and invincible, but many times they look erratic with no tactics like many talented African teams.

Robb3449 wrote: Who knows which Portugal shows up ( the one who was bad throughout qualifying or the one who looked pretty dangerous vs. Sweden in the playoff).

In the 1st leg against Sweden Portugal looked actually flat, predictable and unable to deliver, it was in the return leg in Stockholm when they found the right gear. Just one game. Myself, I do not think they are as strong as some people say, maybe a good game vs Germany acan boost their moral and give CR7 the rhythm he lacks 95% of the times while playing for Portugal but the opposite can happen as well.

Robb3449 wrote: Germany may have qualified already but might have a little extra motivation (no matter which team is selected) to avenge the loss to the US this summer.

The loss vs the US is not even a distant thought in the minds of the Germans as it isn't for the American players either. Once these two teams go through WC prep this spring there will be other references add to that a different set of players for both teams.

Robb3449 wrote: Also a factor is that the US travels the most (I think) of any team throughout GS. Almost 9,000 miles and Klinsmann is a big believer in body rejuvenation and re-energizing. I don't think this is a major factor but with the climate, altitude, and humidity changes in the different regions of Brazil and the travel it could play a part.

Robb3449 wrote: This is a good point actually. Ghana should have an edge not over the USA but also Germany and Portugal adapting to travel conditions and adverse climate, although physical superiority in the last 20 or 30 minutes of the game might not be enough.

Robb3449 wrote: my biggest concern for the US is (and always is) can they score enough goals or create enough good chances to compete with every team. They've made good strides in this area and as a team (on the whole) in recent years but, I don't know if it's enough. Hope they prove me wrong.

For sure, under Klinsmann the approach is more offensive but it will come down to Altidore and Johannsson being at their best not only to score but to open space for the types of Dempsey.

One factor that you do not mention is the referees, historically very bad vs the Americans, with Klinsmann being a well known and respected international personality referees might show some restrain.

Well, this topic was meant to be about Germany but the USA with Jermaine Jones, Fabian Johnson, Danny Williams, Anthony Brooks, Tim Chandler, Terrence Boyd, probably Julian Green and Jurgen Klinsmann, all with dual citizenship looks like a semi-german team.
Jorge
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
World Trade Organization

Postby Robb3449 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:31 pm

Jorge wrote:
Robb3449 wrote: Ghana is the so-called "easiest" and there is certainly motivation there but they are well-organized and are always good on the counter-attack. And obviously, we know what they've done to the US in the last 2 WCs.

It's not like they blew the US out of the pitch either. Both times they won by 1 goal from stupid mistakes by the US holding mids (in 2006 from an aged Claudio Reyna, 2010 by Ricardo Clark)

Absolutely but, knocking the US out of the last 2 WCs has gotta count for something , right?

Jorge wrote:
Robb3449 wrote: Germany may have qualified already but might have a little extra motivation (no matter which team is selected) to avenge the loss to the US this summer.

The loss vs the US is not even a distant thought in the minds of the Germans as it isn't for the American players either. Once these two teams go through WC prep this spring there will be other references add to that a different set of players for both teams.

I don't think the Germans have circled the US match on their calendars. I'm sure they didn't lose much sleep about losing to the US with a B- team. My point is that if they've all but qualified by the US match (which most of us think they will) what better way for Low to keep Germany focused, for a match that essentially doesn't matter, than to say, "Hey, these guys beat us a few months ago. We owe 'em." No matter which team is selected. It's the World Cup their really is enough incentive to be "up" for every game but, sometimes you might need a little extra to keep that edge.

That's it from me as I'm sure this is off-topic. Sorry Firefox! :D
Robb3449
I'm a chatterbox!

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:35 pm

Robb3449 wrote:what better way for Low to keep Germany focused, for a match that essentially doesn't matter, than to say, "Hey, these guys beat us a few months ago. We owe 'em."

Knowing Loew I am certain that he would field a B-team against the USA in the circumstances you mentioned.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Jorge » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:21 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote: Knowing Loew I am certain that he would field a B-team against the USA in the circumstances you mentioned.

Also I do not see the incentive for Loew to knock out his buddy Klinsmann out of the World Cup. For sure Germany will play professionally but I do not see an already qualified group of german players "leaving the skin" on the field to win the game.
Jorge
I post all the time

National Flag:
World Trade Organization

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:42 pm

FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

PreviousNext

Return to Other Matches