You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

General World Cup 2014 Thread

FC Bayern youth teams, Premiere LigaPokal and other miscellaneous matches.

Re: General World Cup 2014 Thread

Postby Dgro » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:28 am

So I've been thinking about the possibility of a PK shootout in the finale, and who I would want to see taking the shots for Germany. Here's my 5, in order... and I am taking into account players who I would expect to be on the pitch at the end of the '120 (I would've had Podolski and Klose otherwise)

Muller
Schurrle
Kroos
Schweinsteiger
Neuer

Looks crazy right? Muller, Schurrle, and Schweinsteiger are easy selections for me. Kroos I know will be an unpopular selection due to his refusal to shoot in the CL final a few years back, but these days I see him as being a much more confident player than back then. Plus there's absolutely no reason why he shouldn't be good at PKs - great shot power and placement, great at set pieces, etc. Last, if it were to come down to the 5th man, I simply do not believe that Neuer would miss, no way no how.

I'm not sure if Khedira or Hummels ever take PKs (one of them could possibly swap for Kroos). I don't trust Ozil, Gotze, Boateng, or Howedes. I know Lahm has made some in the past but I don't want him in that position either.

I know that the Germans have a lot of good history behind them in PK situations, but on paper I'm not super psyched about any possible lineup
Dgro
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby pyrasur » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:07 am

Let's pray it doesn't get there. I used to accept penalty shootouts, but now I think about it I think the whole idea of ending either the WC or CL with penalties is just stupid. I get that it has to be there, and this isn't hockey where people are going to enjoy the third overtime. But the way Chelsea won the CL despite being absolutely horrible killed it for me. I'd rather Argentina won straight out.

I'd be fine with Lahm taking the shot, as he is the captain. Lead from the front as they say. Schürrle's passing kill me but he's got an excellent shot, so yes to him as well. And I agree with your list of guys who shouldn't take the spotkick. Özil is a fantastic player, but the guy is just not a shooter. MAYBE if we put a poster of Khedira behind the goal in one of the corners so he can pass around the keeper to his buddy, but I'll have my fingers crossed that he gives us the winning assist first.
而剑法的最高境界,则是手中无剑,心中也无剑,是以大胸怀,包容一切。那便是不杀,便是和平。-英雄
pyrasur
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
United States of America
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:30 am

Yesterday I kept saying it's like they don't want to score. Now I know why. :lol:

Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby Ruht » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:58 am

Tedesco wrote:Argentina for me is looking like Brazil. Just scraping through and being lucky. Let's hope for the same outcome against Germany as Brazil had

My sentiments exactly. Haven't been impressed by the Argentines at all despite the good players they have. The Dutch were more scary than Argentina and could have done more damage to the Germans I reckon.
Ruht
I'm a chatterbox!

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby ramsej84 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:10 am

Ruht wrote:
Tedesco wrote:Argentina for me is looking like Brazil. Just scraping through and being lucky. Let's hope for the same outcome against Germany as Brazil had

My sentiments exactly. Haven't been impressed by the Argentines at all despite the good players they have. The Dutch were more scary than Argentina and could have done more damage to the Germans I reckon.

I dont agree. Argentina aren't Brazil at all. They've played with their mind unlike Brazil. Nederland would have been very tired after 240minutes & 2 PSO. Plus they play open football. What is worrying me the most is that Arg won each game by One goal or as was the case yest without even scoring. 2:1 1:0 3:2 1:0(et) 1:0 0:0
They will shut every space as did to Robben and operate on the counter. Plus I am seeing them extreamly lucky

Sent from my GT-S6802 using Tapatalk 2
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Tedesco » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:17 am

"Do you need a new defender?" - "Yes" - "Do you need him to do any defending?" - "No" - Dani Alves

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tedesco
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
Germany

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:46 am

ramsej84 wrote:Plus I am seeing them extreamly lucky

This is true. They won half of their games in the last minute.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby tflags » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:22 pm

Ok... That was fun. Watching the Pan-European version of "The Making of Driving Miss Daisy." Moment of the night was, in all seriousness, watching Robben approach his wife and son on what must have been the F&F section of the arena. Heart breaking too. At the end, someone always loses something on a semifinal. In Robben's case, it was full redemption.

With all three subs out, van Gaal's bag of tricks was depleted and for a second I though, "I bet he has that new fourth sub decree hidden somewhere." He didn't, and the game descended into the depths of boredom only to wake up when Mascherano released his XL prosthetic leg extension to save a Robben goal. Then we were back to boredom depths again...

For once I hoped we could dispense with the penalty shootout. I mean, it has been so overused by now not even Christopher Nolan could save it. Not that the game itself didn't call for a boring ending. You know, FIFA could rank it along Argentina vs Germany at Italy 90's final; if they want to be that cruel out of a sudden.

Both Robben and Messi were so tightly guarded the former's constant re-positioning around the attacking third and Messi's backtracking to avoid getting fender-bendered by De Jong was about a tactical a highlight as you could find between two cray computers battling each other on a chess match on grass. I have to complement van Gaal though; Messi didn't even come close to touching the ball inside the box, not even once. In Robben's case, where Demichellis faulted, Mascherano reigned.

Where Germany vs Brazil catapulted fans into disbelief and ecstasy, The Netherlands vs Argentina was sort of taking the rush hour route into London traffic while sharing a minicab with two guys discussing health care next to you and no cel phone apps to save you.
Kimmich
Kimmich - Thiago - Kimmich
Kimmich -- Kimmich
Kimmich -- Hummels -- Boa --Kimmich
Kimmich with Gloves
tflags

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Ecuador

Postby Borusse » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:25 pm

Borusse
Borussia Dortmund Supporter

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Poland

Postby AdepT » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:33 pm

Don't like anyone. :P

But yeah, Hummels has been a rock at this WC, far better than at Euros.

Just pray Borusse that LvG doesn't come looking. Read somewhere his father has great relations with him when all three were at Bayern.
Might even push for it. :P
'To be successful, you have to give everything.' - Bastian Schweinsteiger
AdepT
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
India

Postby FCB general » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:58 pm

Hummels is once again great! When I saw the picture of him together with Kahn few days ago, I was a bit angry.

Klinsmann didn't listen Tiger Gerland.
"Soy un hombre muy honrado que me gusta lo mejor, las mujeres no me faltan, ni el dinero, ni el amor,

Jineteando en mi caballo por la sierra yo me voy, las estrellas y la luna, ellas me dicen donde voy"
FCB general
I live on BayernForum.com

National Flag:
Caribbean Community

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:27 pm

Hummels is, along with Neuer, Germany's MVP.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Tedesco » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:29 pm

And Müller
Tedesco
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
Germany

Postby runaway » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:01 am

I smell bullsh*t but it's funny to think so.
“If players weren’t human, I’d never lose.” ~El Loco
runaway
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
Philippines

Postby pyrasur » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:50 am

Typical English media wind up. On ESPN they say that the Germans agreed not to humiliate Brazil by showing off in the second half, maybe by doing fancy tricks or dance celebrations and what not. Since the Schweinsteiger incident, I choose to ignore anything the English have to say, since they try only to use shock to attract viewership instead of seeking to educate their readers and advance how we think about football. Maybe the Guardian is good, but that's it.
而剑法的最高境界,则是手中无剑,心中也无剑,是以大胸怀,包容一切。那便是不杀,便是和平。-英雄
pyrasur
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
United States of America

PreviousNext

Return to Other Matches