You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

[2015-08-01] VfL Wolfsburg vs Bayern Munich

FC Bayern youth teams, Premiere LigaPokal and other miscellaneous matches.

What is your prediction for this match?

Poll ended at Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:30 pm

VfL Wolfsburg will win inside 90 minutes
8%
VfL Wolfsburg will win on penalties
No votes
Bayern Munich will win on penalties
4%
Bayern Munich will win inside 90 minutes
88%

Total votes : 24

Re: [2015-08-01] VfL Wolfsburg vs Bayern Munich

Postby MoFattal » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:27 am

Strangely, I agree with both views here (definitely not with #PepRaus, though). On the one hand, this is a pre-season "friendly" against our toughest domestic opponent in which we can learn some valuable lessons. I think the game would have ended very early if we were effective enough in front of goal (as has been the case over the past two seasons). The defense definitely needs some more fine-tuning as the high-line is still causing a lot of problems when the opponents have good passers in midfield. On the other hand, one fails to notice improvements from last year. The formation looked different, and the style was more direct, but there is still something missing. Our defense is still facing the exact same problems which made us lose against the "big" opponents last season. We are still bad at corners. Like many times before, we should have held to secure the lead but were caught very high up the field (and that is from a build-up play from Wolfsburg, not a sudden steal or something). From the substitutions, Pep wanted to hold the 1-0, but the style of play prevented that. We've seen it many times before.

Personally, I am starting to think that our high defensive line is the main cause of problems. On the attack, we need efficiency in front of goal, but we are looking good with the direct style of play. As for the defense, we can play the high-line when pushing for a goal or against opponents with less gifted passers in the middle, but that shouldn't be a 90-minute strategy. Prior to their goal, Wolfsburg had two 1on1 with Neuer. I sound pessimistic, but that's how I'm feeling at the moment.

P.S. That was the most typical De Bruyne run and cross/assist. He's done that tens of times last season and there are no better crosses of this kind on earth than his at the moment.
MoFattal
2011/12 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Lebanon
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:52 am

One thing I forgot to comment on is Alonso. Some of you have attacked him for missing the penalty as if he's the reason we lost, but actually his penalty was one of our best and it was a great save. The first and third penalty were both almost saved as well. I find that more concerning than Alonso missing his.
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MoFattal » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:01 pm

On the bright side, Costa looked great. He just needs to shoot the ball more often rather than passing back. Vidal looked good as well in his 15 minutes run, and he will definitely be a key midfielder for us this season.
MoFattal
2011/12 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Lebanon

Postby zozon » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:20 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:One thing I forgot to comment on is Alonso. Some of you have attacked him for missing the penalty as if he's the reason we lost, but actually his penalty was one of our best and it was a great save. The first and third penalty were both almost saved as well. I find that more concerning than Alonso missing his.

But... but... Robben penalties from 3-4-5 years ago? And those were a million times important.

It's the same now, bashing on players cause its like they don't wanna score :roll:
pyrasur wrote:
It's shaped like a sword. Because that's how formations work. We will only be beaten if Atletico form a rock. We will beat them if they form paper tho.
zozon
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby lau03143 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:24 pm

A bruise for our ego losing the game last night. But like everything, we need to learn from this.

I thought Costa was ok, was solid enough and will become an integral part of the team.

I'd like to see us sign another striker. I like Lewandowski... but feel if he's blowing cold, we'll struggle for goals to put games to bed.
To all those, Over the years,
who have come to
Munich as strangers
and left as good friends.
Zum Wohl!
lau03143
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby FCB&Paulaner » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:18 pm

The only thing that worries me is the defense, or the system we are using is exposing it badly. Against Barca for.ex we would be like 3 or 4 down for sure and that is enough to say bye bye to an entire season, in just a couple of errors. Yeah, you can play great for 80 mins, and then get hammered in 5 mins, it doesn't matter, the result does. I don't know what is wrong, or why this is isn't yet fixed. At the end play however you like, defense will win you trophies. And the other way round. Since 2010 this has been the case.

1. Final vs. Inter, two amateurish defensive errors and two goals. Easily, very easily avoidable. The entire 2010 run in CL was due to a crazy, passionate attacking football mixed with a horror defensive show. We just managed to score more than we gave away. Each game was like going from a heart attacking mode into ecstasy. Both games against ManU and the away game vs Fiorentina. I read a stat that 80% of the goals we conceded in 2010 were a merit of the duo Demichelis-DVB. In the final Ribery out, not scoring but conceding as usual and game over. No brains there, Mou knew that what he needed was to defend well, and counter, and the goals will just happen as usual. Proved an easy game plan. The second goal that Milito scored was such horrible, when he tried that simple trick to dribble, and even wanted to do a skilled finish ala Messi which still didn't work, but he scored. It was like looking a tuned up fiat with a f..d up handling overcoming a limousine past due its service. No offence to DVB, I liked him, but still...however. the Morale --DEFENSE--
2. Final vs. Chelsea. Although we missed a few key players, were clueless in front of the goal, and JH goes and replaces Muller, gets the team back and gives Chelsea the only chance in the game, still conceding from a corner in that way. Pity. so again, defense.
3. Semi 2014 vs Madrid. No comment here. Been said 1000 times. Now we enter Pep era. Which means better defenders, horrible system.
4. Against Barca 2015. Same as above.
5. Same against Wolfsburg.

I know that if you play perfect football, bla bla you win, someone will always make mistakes, etc. True, but errors do happen and should happen occasionally, not become a trend in defining games. And they will be exposed against quality opposition. In CL two or three teams will kill us like hopeless puppies, if we don't do smth this season. The only time from 2010 we had a balanced system was in 2013, and we know how the story ended. Pep should find that balance in his system if he wants the CL, it looks like he is not yet finding the medicine, and he is running a bit out of time. But that is FCB's Achilles heel and two years down the road now that is no longer a secret and more teams will prepare against it, and we might be risking to be very predictable, and easy to be dealt with. let's hope it won't happen...
FCB&Paulaner
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Rauntšik » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:22 pm

Vidal was a beast

Sent from my SM-G7105 using Tapatalk
"Normally Monsieur Candie, I would say "auf wiedersehen". But since what "auf wiedersehen" actually means is, till I see you again, and since I never wish to see you again to you sir, I say, goodbye."
Rauntšik
I post all the time

National Flag:
Estonia

Postby tflags » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:24 pm

That yellow card was the highlight of the game. Subbing Lewan, Thiago and Muller instead of Benatia or Alonso was the low point.
Kimmich
Kimmich - Thiago - Kimmich
Kimmich -- Kimmich
Kimmich -- Hummels -- Boa --Kimmich
Kimmich with Gloves
tflags

National Flag:
Ecuador

Postby RodePiet » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:03 pm

[quote="FCB&Paulaner"]"The only thing that worries me is the defense, or the system we are using is exposing it badly".

"Pep should find that balance in his system if he wants the CL, it looks like he is not yet finding the medicine, and he is running a bit out of time. But that is FCB's Achilles heel and two years down the road now that is no longer a secret and more teams will prepare against it, and we might be risking to be very predictable, and easy to be dealt with"

Totally agree, FCB....I've been saying this since Pep arrived and that is why I'd like to see him go.
I really think many people cannot see the forest for the trees: I wish I could count the times people have said "for this excuse or that excuse we didn't win or the defense didn't work BUT WE'LL LEARN FROM THIS AND IMPROVE in the future. .....Pep doesn't seem to want to learn. I can count on one hand the # of times Pep has actually deviated from his obsessive compulsion to prove his system. After reading the Perarnau book, I find Pep to be a huge ego that is selling his snake oil on the highest level...kind of like these CEOs who are recruited, paid gazillions of dollars, f**k up the company, are sent packing AND collect a gazillion dollars for leaving.
I can't understand why people blame individuals on the team as well. My overused example is DVB. He looked like a horror show with LVG, under JH he looked a very solid defender (IMO) To me, Heynckes used his players strengths to inform his strategy. With Pep, we're chasing his Holy Grail of football, or perhaps more correctly, he's Don Quixote tilting at windmills.The only thing that saves his bacon is the incredible squad at his disposal.
Can we imagine this system working with a mid or bottom table team in any league?
I think not.
RodePiet
Getting the hang of it

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby rthebest » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:03 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:One thing I forgot to comment on is Alonso. Some of you have attacked him for missing the penalty as if he's the reason we lost, but actually his penalty was one of our best and it was a great save. The first and third penalty were both almost saved as well. I find that more concerning than Alonso missing his.

I agree and I think overall he had a good game.
rthebest
I'm a chatterbox!

National Flag:
Canada

Postby Steph » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:05 pm

Our attack is far from sorted, it isn't only our defense. We've got tons of quality in our attack we just need to get it working right, and I really think that is more important than improving our defense right now, because while our defense isn't perfect I think it is pretty good.

Also, I just wanted to say that Costa's choice to cross it instead of shoot it wasn't as bad as it looked. They showed a side view of it on fox and you can clearly see that there is tons of space for a cross and that it would be an easy goal for Lewandowski if the cross was decent. The problem was that the cross was awful and went sort of behind Lewandowski.
Steph
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Years of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby rthebest » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:12 pm

albanian7 wrote:P.S. Lewy's face after getting subbed off was not a good thing to watch. I think he'll stay for this season, but something's not working

I am not saying he was but as a professional he has no right to get upset when he is subbed out. I think he was just disappointed that he couldn't score.
rthebest
I'm a chatterbox!

National Flag:
Canada

Postby rthebest » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:20 pm

RedQueen wrote:
Reinhart wrote:This is Wolfsburg, not Barcelona or Real Madrid.

Might I remind you:

I still maintain that the Bundesliga Championship isn't something that is guaranteed.

In a league every game worth 3 points so consistency is a key. Do you think Wolfs and BMG can handle the pressure of CL and Bundesliga?
rthebest
I'm a chatterbox!

National Flag:
Canada

Postby Steph » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:56 pm

Let's not bank on what Wolfsburg and BMG do, let's make sure it doesn't matter because of what we do
Steph
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Years of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby FCB&Paulaner » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:42 pm

Steph wrote:Our attack is far from sorted, it isn't only our defense. We've got tons of quality in our attack we just need to get it working right, and I really think that is more important than improving our defense right now, because while our defense isn't perfect I think it is pretty good.

Now the question is what is the objective. If the objective is to win Buli and reach CL semis, we have a terrific team. If the target is a CL final, now that is a different story. One or two games can make your defense look like schoolboys if you don't get it right. The fact that two years down the road we are still trying an not yet found a sustainable system tells the story. And someone here mentioned the DvB case who looked very different under two systems. Same here, we have very good defenders, but it depends how you deploy them, and whether their roles match their strengths or expose their weaknesses, so it's very relative. I don't won't to read much into this game, but I am a bit worried seeing the same mistakes over and over again. I would have no problem to lose by two own goals, it happens, but not the same space and runs in our box and that by Wolfsburg, I don't want to think what can happen vs Madrid, Barca and so on.

And the talk of whether Pep extends or not and that Bayern is hoping for it is getting to my nerves, since when we beg coaches? Time to put some pressure on the guy and not the other way round. this is the third year, no excuses this time. No delivery, no extension, this has to be the talk.
FCB&Paulaner
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

PreviousNext

Return to Other Matches