You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Football from around the globe

FC Bayern youth teams, Premiere LigaPokal and other miscellaneous matches.

Ferguson defends McClaren

Postby Miss Dangerous » Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:16 am

Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson has warned the English media not to hound national coach Steve McClaren out of his job.

McClaren has come in for fierce criticism after England's 1-0 friendly defeat by Spain midweek -- their fourth game without a win. :-k

But Ferguson believes his former assistant at Old Trafford, who was appointed England's coach after last summer's World Cup finals, is good enough to do the job and should be given time to get it right.

"He's got fantastic potential and I think you should support him more because it will be a shame if that potential is not realised," :-s Ferguson told reporters on Friday.

"In 10 years from now you may regret (it) because he may go back to club football and do exceptionally well because in that time he will be more experienced."

McClaren spent two-and-a-half years working under Ferguson at United before leaving in 2001 to become manager of Middlesbrough, a job he combined with working as former England manager Sven-Goran Eriksson's number-two.

"I have no doubts about Steve's ability, absolutely none at all. Within my own mind I know that he is determined enough. He will not be enjoying what's happening to him. Nobody enjoys getting criticism," Ferguson said.

"Once he gets that ... victory -- hopefully he gets the next one -- then it will open up for him."

"I think one of the biggest problems of the England job is the press itself," [-(
Ferguson said.

"I think the English players are now fearing bad performances because of the reaction of the press and I think that's had a detrimental effect." :-$
Miss Dangerous
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Miss Dangerous » Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:21 am

UEFA spokesman William Gaillard said: "I think we'll have to analyse what the Italian FA tells us, and then we'll have a decision next week," :shock:

"Milan, Inter and Livorno are the concern," Gaillard noted, while underlining that the Italian list of venues that are safe from hooliganism appeared to change often. Roma was unaffected, he added.

"We'll try to find the best possible solution, which may include playing games at a neutral venue," Gaillard said.

UEFA was more sceptical about the idea of playing European matches in Italy behind closed doors, because fans from both teams would effectively be penalised. :|
Miss Dangerous
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Heinze happy at United

Postby Miss Dangerous » Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:30 am

Argentina defender Gabriel Heinze insists he is still happy at Manchester United despite struggling to fight his way back into the team.

The 28-year-old missed virtually all of last season after rupturing cruciate ligaments in a Champions League tie against Villarreal.

Although the full-back recovered in time for the World Cup, he was not in good shape when he returned for pre-season training. :cry:

Since then, Heinze has struggled to oust Patrice Evra, with most of his 19 appearances this term coming from the bench but the tough-tackling defender harbours no immediate desire to quit.

"I don't really take any interest in what is being said," :arrow: Heinze told MUTV.

"The only two people who matter are myself and the manager. If there is no desire on either of our parts for me to leave, that is great."

:idea: After just two substitute appearances in 2007, Heinze will be hopeful of being in Sir Alex Ferguson's line-up for Saturday's encounter with relegation-threatened Charlton.
Miss Dangerous
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby Miss Dangerous » Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:48 am

Real Madrid said on its website Beckham was included in a 20-man squad.

"It is big news, which David learned of this morning and for which he was congratulated by his colleagues during the training session," Madrid said.

Madrid has won two and lost two league games since Beckham was dropped. It has also been eliminated from the Copa del Rey, adding pressure on Capello.

Madrid is in fourth place in the league with 38 points, five behind leader FC Barcelona. Madrid also plays Bayern Munich in the second round of the Champions League on February 20 and March 7. :lol:
Miss Dangerous
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby Miss Dangerous » Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:03 am

FC Barcelona is the second richest football club in the world according to the Football Money League study published by consultancy firm Deloitte & Touche.
FC Barcelona generated € 259,1 mill. last season 2005/06. Only 3 years ago, when president Joan Laporta and his team took over the leadership of the club, Barça was only 13th on the same ranking. :wink:

Real Madrid is the only team with a bigger income (€ 292 mill.) in the last season, but FC Barcelona is the fastest growing club and will challenge arch rival Real with an estimated income of over € 300 mill., an increase of more than € 40 mill. on the previous season. Barça is targetting to become the richest football club in the world during the next years.

Dan Jones, a partner in Deloitte's Sports Business Group revealed:

The two clubs have had contrasting strategies, with Real focusing on driving commercial revenue from recruiting its "Galactico" players and Barcelona having a more balanced revenue portfolio.

The Football Money League ranking
1. Real Madrid - 292.2 mill.
2. FC Barcelona - 259.1 mill
3. Juventus - 251.2 mill.
4. Manchester - 242.6 mill.

5. Milan - 238.7 mill.
6. Chelsea - 221.0 mill.
7. Inter - 206.6 mill.
8. Bayern Munich - 204.7 mill. \:D/
9. Arsenal - 192.4 mill.
10. Liverpool - 176.0 mill.
Miss Dangerous
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby Miss Dangerous » Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:16 am

About 41 people were arrested after the incident, many of them charged with resisting police offers and causing injuries. Police have been studying video surveillance tapes at Massimino stadium in Catania to ascertain who killed their colleague.

The San Siro stadium will not be allowed to host fans this weekend as it is not in line with the new security measures.

Milan vice-president Adriano Galliani said the club was examining its options. :roll:

"We're free to decide to play behind closed doors. Some other cities have offered us their stadiums, like Geneva (Stade de Geneve) and Newcastle (St James's Park). But our inclination is to play at San Siro and let in season ticket holders."

More stadiums may be opened in coming days if checks show they have installed security measures such as closed-circuit TV surveillance, numbered seating and electronic turnstiles.

Sports Minister Giovanna Melandri said the new measures were essential to rid Italian soccer of violence. :-k

"My hope is that in a reasonable amount of time we will able to say we are not only world champions but we have deeply, profoundly changed the system of the football scene in this country," she said.

Other new security measures include a ban on the block sale of tickets to away fans, a beefing-up of stadium bans for those involved in violence, including under 18s, tougher jail terms and a ban on financial links between clubs and fan associations. :-s

Firecrackers will no longer be allowed inside stadiums and, at least initially, there will be no late-night matches.

Some players and officials said matches should not go ahead behind closed doors and there was even talk of a soccer "strike" to force the government to change policy. :?

But at a meeting of club representatives, the clubs' association, Lega Calcio, decided instead to play on.

"After a very lively discussion, I have to communicate that we decided to play, to demonstrate our seriousness and our share of the responsibility for the country's problems," [-( Lega Calcio head Antonio Matarrese said.
Miss Dangerous
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby Miss Dangerous » Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:32 am

The Football Money League report published by consultants Deloitte yesterday showed combined revenues from the top 20 earners hit 3.5 billion euros ($4.55 billion) boosted by TV and sponsorship deals and was again made up entirely of European clubs.

Real's income of 292.2 million euros for the 2005-06 season meant the club generated over 30 million euros more than Barca but the Catalan side's 25 per cent revenue growth in the last 12 months dwarfed Madrid's pedestrian six per cent increase.

"Barcelona has undergone a remarkable transformation in recent seasons, doubling their revenue since 2002/03," :shock: said Deloitte partner Dan Jones.

While on the pitch success accounted for Barcelona's increased wealth, much of Real's success was put down to the global appeal of players like David Beckham, Zinedine Zidane and Ronaldo as the Madrid club marketed its Galacticos in Asia and to lucrative corporate sponsors.

The influence of those former internationals has waned, however, since Zidane has retired, Ronaldo has joined Milan and Beckham has been dropped after signing a $250 million five-year deal to join MLS club LA Galaxy next season. :evil:

Manchester United, who topped the rich list every year until 2004/05, slipped into fourth place behind Italy's disgraced Juventus, partly as the English side failed to make it into the lucrative Champions League knockout phase.

With a wave of big money TV deals about to kick in across Europe, Deloitte said media agreements would continue to drive up clubs' revenues and pinpointed English teams as the biggest likely beneficiaries after the latest round of bonanza deals.

"It is the rising value of broadcast rights to top-tier domestic leagues that has underpinned overall revenue growth. 8-[

"The Premier League's recently concluded broadcasting deals may see English teams contribute half of the top 20 clubs in 2007/08,"
they added.

The report warned, though, that spiralling television deals would be unsustainable if media firms decide they will no longer fork out hundreds of millions for the right to screen matches.

It said Italian clubs could also suffer if the government forces clubs to share TV cash rather than negotiate individual deals with broadcasters. :cry:

List of world's richest clubs
1. Real Madrid 292.2m euros
2. Barcelona 259.1
3. Juventus 251.2
4. Manchester United 242.6

5. AC Milan 238.7
6. Chelsea 221.0
7. Internazionale 206.6
8. Bayern Munich 204.7
9. Arsenal 192.4
10. Liverpool 176.0

11. Olympique Lyon 127.7
12. AS Roma 127.0
13. Newcastle United 124.3
14. Schalke 04 122.9
15. Tottenham Hotspur 107.2
16. Hamburg SV 101.8
17. Manchester City 89.4
18. Rangers 88.5
19. West Ham United 86.9
20. Benfica 85.1
Miss Dangerous
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby Miss Dangerous » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:25 pm

RIO FERDINAND makes his 200th appearance for Manchester United today with Sir Alex Ferguson praising his remarkable transformation from costly liability to the best defender in the world.

When United paid Leeds £29.1million for the centre-back in the summer of 2002 following his impressive performances at the World Cup, there was a widespread feeling the Old Trafford board had paid way over the odds so Fergie could get his man.

The United boss said yesterday
: "When Rio came to us he was a player of enormous potential and that was evident in everything you saw of him: fabulous technique, great pace, balance, a two-footed player and tall at 6ft 3in. :o

Advertisement"He had everything you would wish for in a centre-half, but there were odd moments when he was careless.

He would give forwards the odd chance because he was so relaxed."

The suspicions over Ferdinand's reliability on and off the pitch seemed to be confirmed in October 2003 when he was found to have missed a drugs test and was subsequently hit with an eight-month ban for 'forgetting' his appointment with the doping testers.

Fergie went on record as saying the incident cost United their chance of the title that season and publicly declared that Ferdinand owed the club for standing by him during the ban, something that the player himself openly acknowledged.

Ferdinand also caused further outrage among United fans and angered Fergie when he was pictured dining with Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon. :arrow:

That raised legitimate speculation about his commitment to United
, despite their unstinting support for him, especially when he delayed signing a new contract.

Yet since those damaging episodes, Ferdinand has more than proved his loyalty to United, behaved like a model professional and has emerged, in Fergie's eyes at least, as the most gifted and reliable centre-back in world football right now.Ferdinand's contribution at the back has been of equal significance as United close in on their first Premiership title since 2003.

While Cristiano Ronaldo, Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs have taken the plaudits for their goalscoring heroics and flair this season,
Ferdinand has missed just one Premiership game this season, when he was rested for the December visit of Wigan to Old Trafford, and has formed one of the most reliable defensive partnerships in the Premiership alongside Nemanja Vidic.

And when he was asked yesterday whether Ferdinand, 28, had repaid United following his ban, Fergie had no hesitation.

"Absolutely," said the United boss. "Age has brought maturity to his game. He handles everything now.

He and Vidic are now forming the partnership I hoped I would have again at some point, like Steve Bruce and Gary Pallister.

:idea: "When we signed Rio for that kind of money, we were hoping to get 10 years of duty out of him.

And when you're paying that kind of money, you're looking for that sort of return in terms of service. It will be five years this summer since he joined us, and I think we're looking at 10 to 12 years here for the lad. He's happy here, he's on a good contract and the longer he stays the better it is for us.

"He and Vidic have a great understanding and have developed a fantastic partnership. They can be the foundation of our defence for years to come."

Ferdinand's consistency for United is borne out by the fact he is set to reach his landmark 200th game after just four-and-a-half years, some achievement when you consider that includes his enforced eight-month absence, courtesy of his FA suspension. =;

Taking that ban into account, Ferdinand has averaged 50 games a season for United, which is why Fergie and the Old Trafford board can now look back on his acquisition as one of their most successful deals of recent years, despite the supposedly inflated price.

Asked whether Ferdinand was now the most accomplished defender in the world, better than the likes of Real Madrid's Fabio Cannavaro, Barcelona's Carles Puyol or Chelsea's John Terry, Fergie said: "Well, it's certainly hard to pick someone better. :)

"His technique is probably the best in the game for a defender."

That is some accolade for a player who at one stage of his career was in danger of being remembered, not for his special talent or success, but for his notoriety in missing that drugs test. It is an episode Ferdinand will never be able to escape.

But there is still time for him to ensure history remembers him as one of the best defenders of all-time, rather than the dozy fool who lost eight months of his career because he went shopping for bed linen when he should have been taking a drugs test.

..BUT HERE ARE FIVE OTHERS WHO MIGHT NOT AGREE

FABIO CANNAVARO

Named World and European Player of the Year for his magnificent exploits in Germany although has struggled for Real Madrid. Anticipation brilliant, strong on the ground and better in the air than he should be at 5ft 10in.

WILLIAM GALLAS

Whisper his name quietly at Stamford Bridge but Chelsea miss Gallas more than anyone. Rock-solid, and perhaps the quickest centre-back around as well. Always an aerial threat at the other end too.

CARLES PUYOL

The Barcelona skipper is sometimes lost amid the Nou Camp superstars but arguably nobody at the Catalan club is more important. A leader by deed and word, happy to mix it when required but clever enough to stay out of trouble.

JOHN TERRY

The ultimate English-style central defender but his value for club and country has never been more clear than in his absence. Maybe short of rocket-pace but reads a game superbly, organises even better, and a great left peg.

LUCIO

Brazil is not renowned for defenders but they are as brutal as they need to be, even the silky, slender-looking Bayern Munich man. Has an age on the ball but knows how to win it. :!:
Miss Dangerous
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby angel717 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:19 pm

He is good, but not enough to call him Europe's to player..
my God, what a suck up.. :lol: :lol:
Meet My Boyfriend, Eugen.
angel717
Getting the hang of it

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby angel717 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:20 pm

yoanna wrote:wouldn't go as that far. but i may be biased, since he annoys the hell out of me.

"Fabregas said: "With the arrival of Larsson, United are most dangerous in attack. A line-up with Cristiano Ronaldo, Wayne Rooney and Larsson will always create chances. But the main drive in Manchester United is Cristiano Ronaldo. If he is stopped then that team is reduced by 50 per cent."
i find it rather alarming to say the least.

Fabregas has a point on this one...hmmm, i wonder... :lol: :lol:
Meet My Boyfriend, Eugen.
angel717
Getting the hang of it

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

English Fooball

Postby Miss Dangerous » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:33 am

David Beckham has been awe-struck by Cristiano Ronaldo this season.

The Manchester United winger has endured hostile reactions from rival fans furious with the part he played in Wayne Rooney's sending off for England against Portugal in the World Cup.

But Beckham
, who was similarly unpopular for a time following his own dismissal for England during France '98, has been hugely impressed by his successor in United's No 7 shirt.

'What he had to go through at the end of last season was tough but he couldn't have been at a better team and under a better manager,' said the former England captain.

'He's had the support of the fans and the club and, with that, you have every chance of coming through those bad times and he has been pretty incredible this year.'

Meanwhile, Beckham insisted England have too much class to miss out on qualification for the European Championships.

Beckham added: 'They will be fine, they have got too many good players to not qualify.

'They have got a couple of tough games coming up but the players know that, and the players will be fine with that.

'They have just got to be confident and there are a lot of confident lads in that team - you saw that at the weekend with Wayne Rooney, who had not scored for a while, and he goes and scores those goals at the weekend.

'Andy Johnson scored the winner against Arsenal so they are fresh from playing well for their clubs.

'I've spent a lot of time playing and training with these players and they are some of the best players in the world.'

Beckham was speaking on a visit to a school in Bristol to launch a new website for schools, www.thedavidbeckhamacademy.co.uk, to provide a free online coaching guide for teachers and pupils.

The Real Madrid midfielder insisted he had not given up hope of persuading McClaren to recall him to the squad - the England manager had been due to watch him play in the Champions League against Bayern Munich before Beckham's injury intervened.

Beckham added
: 'Owen [Hargreaves] was playing in that game as well but unfortunately I got injured the game before - and it wasn't meant to be.

'I have always said I will be available for my country and that still stands.

'I'm not reconciled to not being part of the squad and it's always tough when it comes to international week and I'm not involved, but there have been a few of those now so I'm becoming accustomed to spending time with the family or doing different things.

'I've never been a great spectator even when I was a young kid. I hated watching the games when I felt I could be playing. Of course, I will watch the England games though - I'll sit and watch them with the family.'
Miss Dangerous
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby Miss Dangerous » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:25 pm

[-( I believe that C.Ronaldo is one of the best in Europ! yeah.. he used to diving a lot when he first came to United but this season is completely different! now he`s one of the biggest reasons that United on top in the league and still have a chance to win the Champions league or even the FA Cup. he`s playing for the whole team now and his passes are very important.. he scored so many goals this season! and create a lot too!! you have to watch him carefully and then make your comments!
Miss Dangerous
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby tracylynn » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:07 pm

I have watched Ronaldo closely but I do not believe that he is the best in Europe, which is what the article is saying. Yes, he's having a very good year but that does not equal to best player in Europe. If he keeps playing the way he has then I can see him getting that label. However, at this moment I would say he's one of the best in Europe but not the best.
Raider (1996-2007) - A very lovable cat that I will miss dearly.
tracylynn
I post all the time

Postby FC Bajern » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:01 pm

Miss Dangerous...!! wrote:[-( I believe that C.Ronaldo is one of the best in Europ! yeah.. he used to diving a lot when he first came to United but this season is completely different! now he`s one of the biggest reasons that United on top in the league and still have a chance to win the Champions league or even the FA Cup. he`s playing for the whole team now and his passes are very important.. he scored so many goals this season! and create a lot too!! you have to watch him carefully and then make your comments!

Here is something for you. These coments are from a Middlesbrough midfielder George Boateng after the FA cup game.

Meanwhile, Middlesbrough midfielder George Boateng has warned Ronaldo that his showboating could soon land him in trouble.

The flying winger was on the end of a heavy challenge from Boro's James Morrison in Monday's FA Cup win - a tackle that saw the referee produce a red card - and Boateng can see more of the same coming Ronaldo's way if he continues to dazzle opponents with his trickery.

"A lot of players want to do what Morrison did," the Boro captain said. "Why didn't Ronaldo do his tricks when it was 0-0 and people were fighting to get a goal? It annoys people.

"People have pride. No one likes to have the mickey taken out of them and if you're going to do that, one day someone will hurt him properly and he'll be out for a long time.

"We know he can do his tricks, but don't do it when you're winning 1-0 and there's only two minutes to go. When you're playing Sunday football with your mates it's great, but not at this level." (couldn't agree more)

source: eurosport.com
FC Bajern

Postby FCBinNYC » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:14 pm

I'd have to disagree with Boateng on that one. Why shouldn't you try to hold on to the ball and keep it away from your goal when there's two minutes left and you have a 1-0 lead? Football is all about results, especially in the FA Cup. At least United wasn't playing with 11 men behind the ball in those last two minutes, Ronaldo got took out somewhat close to the corner flag if memory serves correct. If he can hold on to the ball like that he should do it, Boateng's just mad cuz once again Middlesbrough has no chance of silverware this season. If Ronaldo played on his team and did the same thing, I guarantee that he'd have absolutely no problem with it.
FCBinNYC
I'm a chatterbox!

PreviousNext

Return to Other Matches