You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

FIFA Women's World Cup China 2007

FC Bayern youth teams, Premiere LigaPokal and other miscellaneous matches.

Postby MaCk0y » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:43 pm

Magic Marta sets up Germany clash

THE DAY REPLAYED - FIFA President Joseph S. Blatter had just paid tribute to the progress of the women's game and as if to emphasise the point, China 2007 gave us a stunning demonstration from a team, Brazil, who had never before reached the world final. In getting there they toppled one of the superpowers of women's football USA, who had been eyeing a third final appearance against the holders Germany.

That won't happen now thanks to a Samba spectacular in Hangzhou. Brazil 4-0 USA was a scoreline no one would have predicted, a savage dismantling of the world's number one ensemble, only their third loss in the FIFA Women's World Cup and their heaviest ever, at any level. It was one of the most sensational results in the history of the competition and it leaves the jubilant South Americans to contemplate a denouement with the formidable Germans who 24 hours before had inflicted their own punishment on Norway.

On the final whistle the brilliant Marta looked to the heavens as ecstatic team-mates rushed to acclaim one of the great individual displays. China has been celebrating its Mid-Autumn Festival, a time when the moon is at its fullest and brightest. Had someone flicked a switch, though, and plunged the Hangzhou Dragon Stadium into darkness, the 21-year-old would still have been illuminated. She is a true star.

What a contrast in emotions there was with the American camp where a China crisis loomed the minute coach Greg Ryan decided to replace regular goalkeeper Hope Solo with Briana Scurry because dealing with long-range shots and reflex saves "she's the best I've seen". Hindsight confers advantages of course, but Ryan may now reflect on the wisdom of flouting one of football's truisms: "Never change a winning team".

It would be unfair to blame the opening goal, an own goal, on that decision. And while Scurry may feel she could have got more than a hand to goal number two, from Marta, it soon seemed like America needed two goalkeepers to keep the Canarinha at bay. And certainly more than nine outfield players, which is what they were left with once their midfield enforcer Shannon Boxx had been ordered off shortly before the break.

Cristiane struck a third but the game's finest moment was still to come. Frame by frame, the fourth Brazil goal showcased the best of the elusive Marta: flicking the ball behind herself, she turned and twisted past her marker, left another defender in her wake, and completed the assault with a crisp right-footed finish. The crowd were quick to pay homage. "Marta, Marta" reverberated around the stadium.

Germany were also given a leg up by an own goal but the match in Tianjin was a tighter affair with the title-holders only permitted time to relax once Kerstin Stegemann and Martina Mueller had scored in the 72nd and 75th minutes. The unstoppable running machine that is Birgit Prinz had induced the early error by Trine Ronning, who turned the ball end into her own net, and it was the Germany captain who made the opportunity for Stegemann with another typical driving run.

So now the charabanc rolls back into Shanghai for the final. Will Prinz continue to reign supreme backed up by a defence that has not yielded a single goal in five games, or is this Marta's time? It will be fascinating to discover the answers in three days' time.

http://fifa.com/womenworldcup/news/news ... many+clash
MaCk0y
Assistant Admin

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby podolski4life » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:31 am

Ugh, bad loss for the US. Even though they seem to play well, the women's team has a lot of bad chemistry. I don't get why the coach switched goalies (the original goalie was Solo, who was switched out for Scurry) for that match. It’s like telling the attackers, "Nope, sorry, I don't trust you to score goals against Brazil." It also put a lot of pressure on the defenders, because Scurry hadn’t played for 3 months. Bad move.
"Tactics? What tactics?" - Mark van Bommel to Felix Magath after being accused of lack of effort and tactical discipline.
podolski4life
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby tracylynn » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:05 am

MUTU wrote:
tracylynn wrote:
MUTU wrote:Woo! I guess USA are still the favourites, or not?

I don't believe the US was ever the favorites to win the WC. I believe Germany was the hands-on favorite from the get go and the US were in the top 3 in terms of favorites.

At the start of the tournament I remember checking the bets from a number of bookmakers and the US were runaway favourites. After all, the US are ranked #1 in the world when it comes to women's football.

Wow!! From what I had read about the WWC, Germany was always the favorite. The US was not the odds-on favorite because they are an old team and were (still is after the game against Brazil) in decline. Those bookies must have been on something to have the US as favorites.
Raider (1996-2007) - A very lovable cat that I will miss dearly.
tracylynn
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby tracylynn » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:10 am

podolski4life wrote:Ugh, bad loss for the US. Even though they seem to play well, the women's team has a lot of bad chemistry. I don't get why the coach switched goalies (the original goalie was Solo, who was switched out for Scurry) for that match. It’s like telling the attackers, "Nope, sorry, I don't trust you to score goals against Brazil." It also put a lot of pressure on the defenders, because Scurry hadn’t played for 3 months. Bad move.

From what I had gathered, the US never really played well throughout the whole tournament. For the majority, the US had one really good game where they showed strength and flow and that was in the game against England.

As for the goalie situation, well, obviously the coach made a huge mistake. However, Solo is now showing herself to be a total b***h. She's attacked Scurry and the coach. Ok. I understand attacking the coach but attacking your teammate who had no control in the coach's decision. Rumor is Solo is going to get punished by the US Soccer Fed. for her comments and could be barred from the third place match.
Raider (1996-2007) - A very lovable cat that I will miss dearly.
tracylynn
I post all the time

Postby FC Bajern » Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:58 pm

Germany scored a total of 21 goals and didn't concede any!!!
FC Bajern

Postby MaCk0y » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:40 pm

Germany crowned, USA take bronze

THE DAY REPLAYED - The best players produce on the biggest stages. It is a maxim as old as the game itself. And so the FIFA Women's World Cup went to Germany for the second time in the new century because when the pressure was at its most intense, Birgit Prinz kept her nerve and Marta did not.

For the team that began this fascinating Chinese extravaganza with an 11-goal show, they ended it in the same Shanghai stadium with a victory over Brazil in which they scored twice. But just a single salvo would have been enough to retain the trophy they won for the first time in 2003.

One is always enough when you have a goalkeeper and a defence welded together in steely determination not to let anything or anyone get through. After six games, Germany arrived on the winners' podium without having conceded a single goal. And that is an achievement to cherish at any level of the game.

They added a second goal in the final minutes but that was the icing on the cake - the critical moments had occurred earlier in the second half and how appropriate that the first should fall to Prinz. The first woman to appear in three finals sent waves of "Deutschland, Deutschland" reverberating around the ground with her solid finish - not the sweetest connection admittedly - from Sandra Smisek's intelligent cut-back.

Brazil immediately responded. They had not come so far to give up the fight that easily and for the first 45 minutes they had looked the team most likely, Daniela striking the woodwork with a breathtaking volley. Now Cristiane carried the struggle deep into German territory, went tumbling and earned a penalty.

It seemed an age before Marta was able to take the kick. There was obvious tension spread across her face, rare uncertainty intruding for this most instinctive, elusive striker. Facing her down at this moment of truth was a goalkeeper who had forgotten what its like to fish the ball out of her net.

The record held as Marta aimed left and Nadine Angerer guessed right. The magic which the 21-year-old Brazilian had sprinkled on this tournament from start to finish had deserted her but will derive some consolation from claiming two individual awards: the adidas Golden Ball and the adidas Golden Shoe. Angerer needed to hold out for just another three minutes to claim another record for her landmark-loving team, that of outstripping Italy's Walter Zenga at the 1990 FIFA World Cup™, who went 517 minutes without conceding.

As if on cue it was exactly at that moment that Daniela struck a fine free-kick which the goalkeeper pushed on to the post. From there the heart seemed to drain away from the skilful South Americans and it was all over when, Simone Laudehr, winning her eighth cap, popped up to head home Renate Lingor's corner. The first of Germany's 21 goals had arrived from a left-wing corner and so had their last.

Earlier USA had maintained their record of never finishing outside the top three in a FIFA Women's World Cup, beating Norway 4-1 with that scoring machine Abby Wambach twice on target. There was a rousing ovation for Kristine Lilly when she was substituted near the end to acknowledge her participation in her fifth FIFA Women's World Cup and a consolation goal for Ragnhild Gulbrandsen to take into retirement. Like Wambach, she finished on six goals, one shy of Marta.

http://fifa.com/womenworldcup/news/news ... ake+bronze

Total dominance of the German Women Team. Unlucky that they didn't score against rivals England. But the record is impressive!
MaCk0y
Assistant Admin

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby MaCk0y » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:44 pm

Most entertaining team

Brazil voted most entertaining team

The dazzling Brazilians emerged as the clear winners in a FIFA.com users' poll to decide the tournament's most entertaining team, garnering over 40 per cent of the votes to leave both Germany and USA trailing in their wake. The result, it has to be said, was never really in doubt.

Since touching down in China the Canarinhas have showcased their full repertoire of skills, with Daniela and Formiga firing home from distance, Cristiane displaying her finishing prowess up front and the outstanding Marta giving free rein to her awe-inspiring creative instincts.

After polling the most votes at USA 2003, the Germans, led by Birgit Prinz, Kerstin Garefrekes and Sandra Smisek, had to be content with second place this time around, while the Americans, with Abby Wambach and Kristin Lilly very much to the fore, completed the podium.

Final results - As voted by FIFA.com users.

1 Brazil 42.12%
2 Germany 17.94%
3 USA 16.23%
4 China PR 7.62%
5 Australia 7.46%
6 England 2.37%
7 Canada 1.89%
8 Korea DPR 1.65%
9 Norway 1.63%
10 Sweden 0.79%

http://fifa.com/womenworldcup/teams/mos ... gteam.html
MaCk0y
Assistant Admin

Postby FC Bajern » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:09 pm

FC Bajern

Germany given 2011 Women's World Cup

Postby FC Bajern » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:16 am

Germany will stage the 2011 FIFA Women's World Cup, football's global governing body has announced.

Hat-trick attempt
Winners of the trophy in China this year and also in 2003, Silvia Neid's all-conquering team will aim for a hat-trick on home soil in the next finals after FIFA selected the German Football Assocation (DFB) bid ahead of that of Canada. Germany previously staged the 2001 UEFA European Women's Championship and the men's FIFA World Cups of 1974 and 2006. FIFA President Joseph S Blatter revealed the decision in Zurich on Tuesday and handed the World Cup to the German delegation, saying: "With emotion and pleasure, I'm happy to give this trophy back to the DFB and the team that won the trophy this year and in 2003."

'Great honour'
DFB president Dr Theo Zwanziger declared: "We are proud and grateful to be able to stage the FIFA Women's World Cup in 2011 so soon after the World Cup in 2006. This is a great honour for us. I especially want to thank honorary president Gerhard Mayer-Vorfelder and Franz Beckenbauer as well as anyone else who helped with the bid." Birgit Prinz, who captained Germany to success in China and has won two World Cups and four European titles, added: "I'm looking forward to the 2011 FIFA Women's World Cup in Germany. It will be a super event for everyone taking part."

Government backing
Representing the German government, who gave the bid their full backing, federal minister for family affairs, senior citizens, women and youth Ursula von der Leyen said: "We have so many enthusiastic female players worldwide and now we can give them a great stage to shine on. I am convinced that this tournament will give fresh impetus to women's football worldwide."

source: uefa
FC Bajern

Postby Miss Dangerous » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:28 pm

I`m proud of these girls!! :P
Miss Dangerous
I'm a chatterbox!

Previous

Return to Other Matches