You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

[2013-08-30] Bayern Munich vs Chelsea

FC Bayern youth teams, Premiere LigaPokal and other miscellaneous matches.

What is your prediction for this match?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:45 pm

Bayern Munich will be the first German team to win this trophy
97%
Chelsea F.C. will beat Bayern once again
3%

Total votes : 39

Re: [2013-08-30] Bayern Munich vs Chelsea

Postby BayernLove » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:24 am

Borusse wrote:Bayern's line-up when things start to get tough:

Nah, Neuer is way too far back.
Jesus saves, but Kahn does it better ;)
BayernLove
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Jordan

Postby AdepT » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:12 am

Borusse wrote:Bayern's line-up when things start to get tough:

I like where this is going.
But Borusse, have you proof-checked your line-up? :P
'To be successful, you have to give everything.' - Bastian Schweinsteiger
AdepT
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
India
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby MaCk0y » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:20 am

MaCk0y
Assistant Admin

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby MUTU » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:27 am

Did everyone else forget two things?

1) How's that "winning mentality" coming along? :)
2) We're the ONLY German club to have won this trophy. Good luck keeping up, Klopp!
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Badger » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:05 am

There's not a lot can be added at this late stage, and I'll probably just be echoing what others have already written.

I still thought that Bayern might not be ready for this game, but was delighted with the win and the manner in which Bayern played the game. In contrast, Chelsea's defensive, sometimes dirty, game is not one I'd care to watch week after week. It was a deserved win, and could have been won by a better margin.

This game, coming on top of Bayern's other competitive games this season, left me beginning to wonder about Guardiola's attitude towards clean sheets; I think that it may not be quite so important to him as to some fans.

It is a numbers game. I once heard a salesman talk about this, saying that his sales run at around 40% of the number of calls he makes, so if he contacts ten companies he'll sell four machines, and if he works harder and contacts one hundred companies he'll sell forty machines. It is all that simple. I think Guardiola believes in something similar: if Bayern, like they did in the Chelsea game, have twice as much possession and twice as many shots on target, then they will win most games.

But they may let in a few high quality goals, generally from very fast perfectly executed counterattacks. That is a calculated risk. And the two goals from Chelsea demonstrate what might and what shouldn't happen. The first goal was a perfect counter, finished by a Torres who briefly resembled his best days of three or four years ago. It was a well-placed rocket of a shot, and scored without Torres breaking through the line of defenders. It would have gone in against many teams and many formations. It was one of those few acceptable goals that won't happen very often. The second goal was very different. Some credit must go to Hazard for a spot of individual brilliance, but he was helped along by the failings of three Bayern players - Lahm's rare misguided tackle, Boateng's not closing him down to block the shot, and Neuer's fumbling of a ball that was within reach. Those were three individual errors that were predominantly about concentration, and it was a goal that shouldn't be scored against Bayern in any formation.

4-1-4-1 (which morphs into and out of other formations, by the way) can be a very risky defence if it is played badly. If mastered, however, it will only leak the odd goal - generally from a fast counterattack with attackers outnumbering defenders, and from the occasional piece of bad luck. We could live with that.

So why was the game so close? Some credit must go to Chelsea's good defending, but it must still be acknowledged that poor Bayern finishing had a lot to do with it. Of nineteen Bayern shots on target only two went in, whereas of nine Chelsea shots on target two went in. The Chelsea ratio is more or less acceptable in the numbers game, while the Bayern ratio is not. Bayern should have scored around four goals. Much the same could be said about the number of Bayern shots off target; many of them should have been on target. Bayern have a finishing problem at the moment, and it isn't all the fault of Mandzukic, who had a good game and was denied a goal by some brilliant Cech saves, and who has scored in recent games. Collectively, the offensive players aren't as clinical as they were or as they need to be.

All said, when I look at the number of goals scored against Bayern and the number of chances wasted by Bayern, then, excluding the early season Dortmund game which distorts the picture, I would regard Bayern's finishing as a bigger problem than the defence. The defence and midfield needs to master 4-1-4-1 and individuals need to improve their concentration, but the offence needs to improve their shots-to-goals ratio, to make the whole thing work as it should.
"Wherever that man went, he went gratefully."
--------- Attributed to Seamus Heaney ---------
Badger
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Northern Ireland

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:19 am

quaazi wrote:His sweeper keeper antics are amazing. And unlike v Leverkusen and Italy, this time it paid off perfectly. :D

If I remember correctly that Dante howler was partly his fault. He risked moments before and passed the ball to a marked player.
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby quaazi » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:27 am

FCBayernMunchen wrote:If I remember correctly that Dante howler was partly his fault. He risked moments before and passed the ball to a marked player.

Dante wasn't marked, he picked the ball up, sat with it, and when he slipped, the Chelski player was still like 5 meters away from him.
The ideal team

--------Müller with gloves--------
-Müller--Müller--Müller--Müller--
-------Müller---------Müller-------
----Müller----Müller----Müller----
---------------Müller---------------
quaazi
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Estonia

Postby mdm90 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:37 am

I know goal.com can dispense quite alot of nonsense, but this article has a couple of points I feel.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1717/editorial/2013/08/31/4225657/revenge-is-sweet-but-peps-midfield-is-sour?ICID=HP_FT_3
mdm90
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:42 am

What on earth do they expect? When you have 4 injured midfielders, you start a game with a short full-back as the defensive midfielder, and play most of the game with 2 injured midfielders on the pitch (Martinez and Gotze), do they expect an unbeatable midfield?

People keep saying that Bayern failed to capitalize on the red card. Fact is this Chelsea team, favourites in England, failed to break down a very-weakened midfield for most of the game.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MoFattal » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:22 am

FCBayernMunchen wrote:Fact is this Chelsea team, favourites in England,

I'd say they are the second or third favorites in Europe as well.
MoFattal
2011/12 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Lebanon

Postby Borusse » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:22 am

MUTU wrote:2) We're the ONLY German club to have won this trophy. Good luck keeping up, Klopp!

It so weird you brag about this considering the fact you failed in your first four attempts. :D

MoFattal wrote:

What?! Come on, Chelsea are a strong side but I won't be humble and say Dortmund are better and sides like Real and Juventus also are. Even United showed better football then Chelsea on Old Trafford last Monday! Chelsea are in TOP10 European sides but nothing more for now.
Borusse
Borussia Dortmund Supporter

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Poland

Postby MoFattal » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:26 am

We'll see about that when we play them in the CL semifinal this year ;)
MoFattal
2011/12 Prediction Game Winner

National Flag:
Lebanon

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:24 am

Borusse wrote:
MUTU wrote:2) We're the ONLY German club to have won this trophy. Good luck keeping up, Klopp!

It so weird you brag about this considering the fact you failed in your first four attempts. :D

MoFattal wrote:

What?! Come on, Chelsea are a strong side but I won't be humble and say Dortmund are better and sides like Real and Juventus also are. Even United showed better football then Chelsea on Old Trafford last Monday! Chelsea are in TOP10 European sides but nothing more for now.

Hey, it's three times! :P

I agree on Chelsea.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:33 am

Borusse wrote:

Three previous attempts because in 1974 it wasn't held (vs Magdeburg, would have definitely made a German champion).
Anyway, Hamburg tried twice and failed twice, Werder Bremen tried and failed, Borussia Dortmund tried and failed but the great Bayern Munich achieved this triumph!
MUTU

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:52 am

MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

PreviousNext

Return to Other Matches