You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

'Rummenigge was a fantastic team-mate'

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

'Rummenigge was a fantastic team-mate'

Postby FCBayernNews » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:00 pm

Lucien Favre has been at the helm in Mönchengladbach for six weeks, and his record to date is looking decent with seven points from his first five games in charge. However, Borussia are still anchored to the bottom of the Bundesliga. The Swiss coach spoke to fcbayern.de about his hopes for survival in the relegation battle, the game against Bayern, and his time spent with Karl-Heinz Rummenigge.

Interview: Lucien Favre

fcbayern.de: Playing against Bayern means a reunion with Karl-Heinz Rummenigge. You played together for two seasons in Geneva.
Favre: "Yes, that's right. He was at Servette from 1987 to 1989 and we were room-mates most of the time at the training camps."

fcbayern.de: What was it like sharing with Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, one of the best strikers in Europe at the time?
Favre: "We got on very well. It was fantastic having such a world class player at the club. I remember those days very well and we still keep in touch from time to time."

fcbayern.de: Can you tell us any stories from that time?
Favre: "Oh yes, there's lots of them. But they aren't for public consumption (laughs)."

fcbayern.de: You were a playmaker, Karl-Heinz Rummenigge a striker. How many goals did you set up for him?
Favre: "He scored an incredible number of goals for us, including a number of hat-tricks. He was a world class striker and was a great help to the team. Unfortunately, we didn't manage to pick up a trophy back then."

fcbayern.de: Your defence will be tested at the Allianz Arena on Saturday. Bayern versus Gladbach brings together the best current attack and the worst defence in the Bundesliga. Do you think you can get something out of the game?
Favre: "I'm not interested in statistics. We've only conceded five goals in the last five games. That doesn't seem to suggest we've got the worst defence in the division. Of course, Bayern are incredibly strong up front. We've got to be ready to face them."

fcbayern.de: Saturday will be only your sixth game in charge at Gladbach. Did the international break come at the right time for you to work with your team?
Favre: "If, like me, you take charge of a team at such a late point in the season, you haven't got much time. You have to work very hard and get the players to put your ideas into practice as soon as possible. It's not easy. The international break came at just the right time from that point of view, as it allowed us to focus and work hard."

fcbayern.de: Borussia have picked up seven points from five games since you've been in charge. How well do you think you've settled in at Gladbach?
Favre: "I'm impressed with the club and the players are working very well in training. We won our first two home games against Schalke and Hoffenheim and we picked up a point in Bremen. That was o.k."

fcbayern.de: You suffered a 1-0 defeat against Kaiserslautern before the international break. Are your players over that setback in the relegation battle?
Favre: "Everybody was very disappointed with the defeat. There was too much said before the game about us having to win. That didn't help the team. Nevertheless, I think we can still stay up."

fcbayern.de: You also lost against Wolfsburg in the bottom of the table clash - do you think your team performs better against clubs in the top half of the table?
Favre: "We find it difficult when we have to take the initiative in games, but I think that applies to other teams at the bottom of the table."

fcbayern.de: Borussia are currently five points adrift from a play-off spot. How confident are you the club can escape the drop?
Favre: "Everybody's aware of the positions in the Bundesliga and obviously we know it will be very difficult. On the other hand, things can change quickly in football. It's not impossible to make up five points in seven games."
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Official FC Bayern News