You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Robben awards his late strike to Olic

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Robben awards his late strike to Olic

Postby FCBayernNews » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:30 pm

Theoretically, one goal cannot be scored by two players, but this rare phenomenon actually happened in front of 69,000 witnesses at the Allianz Arena on Saturday afternoon. The stadium rose to acclaim Ivica Olic as the scorer, but after studying a replay, the stadium announcer credited Arjen Robben with the stoppage-time strike. The Dutchman responded generously: "It was Ivi's goal, although it'll be put down to me."

The incident which led to the confusing situation began with a quick free-kick taken by Philipp Lahm, who chipped a delicate ball into Olic's path. The Croat hared beyond the Wolfsburg defence, where he was confronted by keeper Diego Benaglio rushing from his goal. Olic cunningly lobbed the Wolfsburg shot-stopper from the left of the penalty area, and the ball looped towards the empty net. It bounced once in the six-yard box, pursued by defenders Felipe Lopes and Ricardo Rodriguez. Lopes hacked the ball off the line with a last desperate lunge, but succeeded only in shooting straight at Robben's stomach, from where the ball rebounded into the net.

"At first, I thought the ball was already over the line," Olic explained. However, he too watched TV replays and agreed that Arjen had applied the final touch. "It was very close actually, and it was a good thing Arjen was there," said the striker, adding with a wink: "But I was still delighted. It's my first winning goal in a long time."

Fully recovered from injury

Olic last scored some five months ago in the home meeting with Hamburg in late August last year. However, he had scant reason to celebrate, as he injured himself in the act of scoring with his head, and was out of action for eight weeks with a pelvic injury. To rub salt into the wound, he had only just made a comeback from a nine-month lay-off with a serious knee problem.

Ivi is now back and burning to get involved in the action. "I've been feeling fit for a very long time, as was obvious from my mid-season training," he said, "a move like the one for the goal wasn't really a miracle." Nor is Olic concerned at Robben ultimately being credited with the goal: "I'm fit and healthy again, and I'll soon be among the goals myself."

Exceptional Robben

The Dutch winger has no problem in handing the plaudits for the second goal against Wolfsburg to the Croat. "He did it really well and deserves it," Arjen commented, "he always gets stuck in and gives everything for the team." In fact, the goal was an important one for Robben too, as it was his first in the league from open play in fully four months. It means that in 69 appearances for Bayern, he now boasts the exceptional record of 43 goals and 18 assists.

However, the potent attacking player also showed all his quality in defence against Wolfsburg, recovering possession with tackles on seven occasions, more than any other player on the field. He was rewarded with the stoppage time strike. "I think it was the best one I've scored for the club," he grinned, full in the knowledge that Olic made a huge contribution to the late success. So was the scorer Arjen or Ivica? Captain Lahm supplied the diplomatic answer: "50-50".
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Robben awards his late strike to Olic

Postby quaazi » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:35 pm

FCBayernNews wrote:Lopes hacked the ball off the line with a last desperate lunge, but succeeded only in shooting straight at Robben's stomach, from where the ball rebounded into the net

:wink:
The ideal team

--------Müller with gloves--------
-Müller--Müller--Müller--Müller--
-------Müller---------Müller-------
----Müller----Müller----Müller----
---------------Müller---------------
quaazi
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Estonia

Postby MUTU » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:11 am

quaazi wrote:
FCBayernNews wrote:Lopes hacked the ball off the line with a last desperate lunge, but succeeded only in shooting straight at Robben's stomach, from where the ball rebounded into the net

:wink:

Maybe after one of his many operations, they decided to put his stomach in his hand :mrgreen:
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby Mr.S » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:50 am

Arjen Robben -> "I think it was the best one I've scored for the club,"
Mr.S
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Official FC Bayern News