You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Luiz Gustavo: It's gone well for me so far

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Luiz Gustavo: It's gone well for me so far

Postby FCBayernNews » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:00 pm

Luiz Gustavo has now spent three months at Bayern. The Brazilian-born defender switched from TSG 1899 Hoffenheim to Munich at the start of the year, where he became a regular in Louis van Gaal's starting line-up right from the off. The 23-year-old spoke to fcbayern.de about his initial impressions of life at Germany's most successful club, the differences between FCB and Hoffenheim, and his new life in Bavaria.

Interview: Luiz Gustavo

fcbayern.de: Luiz, you've been at Bayern for three months. What's been the nicest surprise?
Luiz Gustavo: I never thought the boss would throw me straight into the Champions League. It was my debut and it was great, a really wonderful moment.

Apart from the first match after Christmas against Wolfsburg, you've started every game. Did you expect so many appearances?
No, I didn't. This is a great team with so much quality, so making the starting line-up is hard. You'll only get a chance if you work hard every day. It's gone well for me so far, but I want to keep on improving. If I keep working on myself, I'll keep playing.

How big is the difference between Bayern and Hoffenheim?
Here at Bayern, the quality of the players is different of course, but the mentality's different too. You have to win things and qualify for the Champions League. Bayern is the biggest club in Germany, and the biggest club is expected to win every game.

How has your game changed since arriving at Bayern?
It's very different here. The holding midfielder is the playmaker, he's frequently on the ball, and the other players are all expected to attack too. It was different in Hoffenheim.

Are you accustomed to playing the Bayern way now?
I think I'm getting there. I'm taking a step forward every day, and my team-mates are helping me a lot, which is very important.

Your favourite position is defensive midfield, but you've also played left-back and centre-half recently. Is it hard to adapt to a new position all the time?
It's certainly not easy, although I played a variety of positions for Hoffenheim. If I prepare well and keep my focus, I can play well in all these positions.

What do you think of all the media attention at Bayern?
It's a big difference to Hoffenheim. I don't give so many interviews because I don't like to talk too much, but I know I'll have to start giving more interviews.

Are you better-known in Brazil since switching to Munich?
There was some awareness of me when I played for Hoffenheim. But now I'm at Bayern, one of the best clubs in the world. I've played in the Champions League and the whole world saw that.

What of your private life in Munich? Are you still in a hotel?
No, I've found an apartment now, which is obviously better. Overall, I've settled in very well.

Do you like the city?
I don't know it that well, because I've had so little free time. But I've picked up on the fact that Munich's a beautiful city.

Are you still living alone?
My girlfriend has just spent two months here, but she's back in Brazil now to resume her studies, so I'm alone again. But it's only a month and a half until the end of the season, and that'll pass quickly.

You've been in Germany for almost four years, so you must like it...
Yes, I like Germany a lot, although the winter's a bit hard. I have to say I don't find it so bad nowadays, although Brazilians basically prefer the summer.

One of your Brazilian predecessors here at Bayern, Zé Roberto, once said he never imagined staying more than two or three seasons in Germany, but last weekend he took over as the foreigner with the most appearances in the Bundesliga and described Germany as his second home. Can you see yourself staying as long as he has?
I'd be happy to stay as long as possible in Germany. It's a wonderful country and I'm happy here.
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Luiz Gustavo: It's gone well for me so far

Postby quaazi » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:20 pm

It sure has. He's definitely proven me wrong, I thought he was an utter waste of money after seeing his first stints as LB... but as a defensive midfielder focused on winning the ball and marking threats, he's brilliant. We all remember the first Inter game... and he's young as well, I really hope he'll be as prevalent next season too.
The ideal team

--------Müller with gloves--------
-Müller--Müller--Müller--Müller--
-------Müller---------Müller-------
----Müller----Müller----Müller----
---------------Müller---------------
quaazi
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Estonia

Re: Luiz Gustavo: It's gone well for me so far

Postby Aequitas1987 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:15 pm

Schweini - Gustavo is our best CDM duo, ahead of Kroos...ahead of Tymo.
SoStronk.com
Aequitas1987
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
India
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Return to Official FC Bayern News