You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Klose learning to love new role in team

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Klose learning to love new role in team

Postby FCBayernNews » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:00 pm

Deserved or not, Frankfurt's Maik Franz is a tough competitor with a card-laden disciplinary record to match. The Eintracht stopper has fractured a metatarsal and is out of Bayern's clash with Frankfurt, which most observers would think is good for Munich. "No!" said Miroslav Klose, to the surprise of reporters gathered for Wednesday's news conference. "I think it's a shame he's not playing," insisted the Germany striker.

Klose expanded on his remark with another unexpected thought: "It would have been easier for us to beat Frankfurt if Franz was in their team, because I've always done well against him in the past." Miro has four goals to his name from FCB's last three visits to Frankfurt, but regardless of who replaces the injured defender, Klose is convinced the men in red can come away with the points against relegation-threatened Eintracht: "We just have to focus on ourselves. If we play our football, we'll win the game."

Fine display against Leverkusen

Bayern's ability to impose their authority on Frankfurt depends a lot on Klose himself, as the player shone in the hole behind the central striker for the 5-1 victory over Leverkusen, meaning Andries Jonker is all but certain to retain his winning 4-2-3-1 formation at the weekend. "Mario Gomez plays up front, and that won't change. He's scoring at will," acknowledged Klose. The 32-year-old does not foresee a change of tactics: "That's what we're practising in training every day."

Regardless of the position, Klose is simply glad to be playing. The second-best Germany striker of all time started a match last Sunday for the first time since matchday six at home to Mainz last autumn. "It felt good," he confirmed, "I worked hard the whole week and wanted to reproduce that on the pitch." He succeeded too, covering every blade of grass and creating space for team-mates, none more so than hat-trick man Gomez.

Van Buyten's admiration for Klose

Miro is patently learning to love his revised role in the team. "I'm the playmaker now, which means I defend, I attack, and I play in midfield. And I can do it too!" Experienced team-mate Daniel Van Buyten agrees. The Belgian praised Klose for his "great skill on the ball. You sensed he was really hungry against Leverkusen after so long on the bench. It was great to see. He's an important player at this football club."

As to next season, Klose confirmed that his future is "completely open". His contract expires on 30 June this year, and it is not certain whether it will be renewed. The player himself has clear personal targets: "I'm feeling fit, and I'm healthy. I want to keep playing at the highest level."
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Official FC Bayern News