You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

"It's been a pure joy!" Gracias, Xabi!

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

"It's been a pure joy!" Gracias, Xabi!

Postby FCBayernNews » Fri May 19, 2017 8:40 am

Xabi Alonso needed precisely three days to make the transition from the Basque Country to Bavaria. On the Friday he met his new teammates for the first team at the team hotel; on Saturday he established himself as the new orchestrator in the FCB midfield at Schalke; then on Sunday he wore Lederhosen for the first time. “It all went very quickly,” he recalls the day at the end of August when an era at Madrid ended and a new one at Bayern began. Now, three years later, Alonso is set for another new beginning. Like Philipp Lahm, he’ll be hanging up his boots on Saturday.

He is "one of our best signings of recent years, a real lucky find, a gifted tactician, a highly intelligent man and one of the most uncomplicated players I’ve ever witnessed,” praised Karl-Heinz Rummenigge. “It’s been a pure joy to have this gentleman with us in Munich.”

Those who have observed Xabier Alonso Olano, born on 25 November 1981 in the small Basque town of Tolosa, will understand why Basque people are regarded as hardworking, dependable and liberal-minded. “Since my first day at Bayern I’ve felt very good here. I’m proud of my time here,” said Alonso. “After winning the Champions League with Real Madrid, I felt that my work there was done.” The offer from FC Bayern came at the right time. “It was a chance to get to know a big club and a new country.” And he took his next club by storm.

Alonso has not only won numerous titles at all the clubs he’s been at, but also the hearts of the people. A member of staff at Liverpool who visited Munich to interview Alonso recently said: “Xabi is still a hero among the fans at Liverpool. Everyone worships him.” A few weeks ago during the second leg of the Champions League quarter-final, 80,000 Madrid fans at the Estadio Santiago Bernabéu stood up to applaud as Alonso was substituted. “I’ll remember that moment for the rest of my life,” he said. It was the last of 119 appearances in the Champions League.

Beating the drum

One World Cup, two European Championship and Champions League successes, one Spanish league title, numerous domestic cups and three German league titles to finish with… the 114-time-capped Spain international has won a total of 18 trophies with Real Sociedad, Eibar, Liverpool, Real Madrid, Bayern and the national team. He’s always influenced the playing style of his teams with his passing play.

"I’ve always been a team player. I see it as my job to create things for the players around me so that the game’s easier for them and they can be more effective in their position. I’m one for strategy, not the spectacular,” described rock music fan Alonso. If he was in a band he would play drums, he says: “I’d be giving the rhythm in the background. The limelight’s not for me.”

Ball magnet and passer

Since his arrival at FC Bayern, Alonso has had more touches of the ball than any other player in the Bundesliga (7,890). Just four weeks after his debut he set a new Bundesliga record with 216 touches in an away game at Köln, a record which still stands today. Alonso has played 6,971 passes in an FCB shirt, 90% of which have been successful. This season the 35 year-old has covered an average of 11.14 kilometres per game. Only Joshua Kimmich (11.8km) and Thomas Müller (11.15km) have covered more ground for the Reds this season.

On Saturday Alonso will cover his last blade of grass in his 518th league game and 117th competitive game for Bayern. What happens next is still to be decided for the father-of-three, although he has announced he’s moving back to Spain. Munich and the whole football world will miss him. His passing, his aura, his heart. Gracias, Xabi!

Xabi Alonso's career in numbers (before his final game):

1x World Cup (2010)

1x DFB Cup (2016)

1x La Liga (2012)

1x Spanish Super Cup (2012)

1x FA Cup (2006)

1x FA Community Shield (2006)

1x DFL Supercup (2016)

1x Spanish Footballer of the Year (2003)

2x UEFA European Championship (2008, 2012)

2x UEFA Champions League (2005, 2014)

2x UEFA Super Cup (2005, 2014)

2x Copa del Rey (2011, 2014)

3x Bundesliga (2015, 2016, 2017)

4 clubs: Real Sociedad (2000-04), SD Eibar (2001-03), Liverpool (2004-09), Real Madrid (2009 -14), FC Bayern (2014-17)

116 competitive appearances for Bayern (9 goals)

688 competitive appearances in Spain, England and Germany (43 goals)

Lived it. Loved it.

Farewell beautiful game. pic.twitter.com/1aSN7GGNzZ
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: "It's been a pure joy!" Gracias, Xabi!

Postby MUTU » Fri May 19, 2017 2:22 pm

Wow. Such a long article for Xabi Alonso's retirement. Kind of makes the Badstuber 2-paragraph statement all the more worse, doesn't it?
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Re:

Postby ramsej84 » Fri May 19, 2017 3:54 pm

our so called ultras should make a nice banner for our #28
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby tflags » Sat May 20, 2017 10:21 am

MUTU wrote:Wow. Such a long article for Xabi Alonso's retirement. Kind of makes the Badstuber 2-paragraph statement all the more worse, doesn't it?

Bayern doesn't owe Holger anymore than what they have done. Actions speak louder than words my friend.
Kimmich
Kimmich - Thiago - Kimmich
Kimmich -- Kimmich
Kimmich -- Hummels -- Boa --Kimmich
Kimmich with Gloves
tflags

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Ecuador

Postby #12 » Sat May 20, 2017 11:30 am

tflags wrote:
MUTU wrote:Wow. Such a long article for Xabi Alonso's retirement. Kind of makes the Badstuber 2-paragraph statement all the more worse, doesn't it?

Bayern doesn't owe Holger anymore than what they have done. Actions speak louder than words my friend.

But they do owe Alonso?
JUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPP
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Re:

Postby MUTU » Sat May 20, 2017 12:23 pm

#12 wrote:
tflags wrote:

But they do owe Alonso?

This is the closest that Alonso has come to the Champions League trophy in Munich. At least Badstuber played in a final, while on a tenth (or less) of the salary that Alonso is earning.

MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Re: Re:

Postby tflags » Sat May 20, 2017 12:53 pm

MUTU wrote:
#12 wrote:
tflags wrote:

But they do owe Alonso?

This is the closest that Alonso has come to the Champions League trophy in Munich. At least Badstuber played in a final, while on a tenth (or less) of the salary that Alonso is earning.

What exactly is your problem? The club sustained a injured player through one of the worst injury ridden careers imaginable when German law releases them of that burden and just because they give a world class player a few more lines on his farewell note (my God such an expensive token) you start complaining? Alonso's wages were earned on the pitch in case you didn't notice. Holger has nothing but gratitude owed to the club. Like I said, the club's actions speak louder that words.
Kimmich
Kimmich - Thiago - Kimmich
Kimmich -- Kimmich
Kimmich -- Hummels -- Boa --Kimmich
Kimmich with Gloves
tflags

National Flag:
Ecuador

Postby #12 » Sat May 20, 2017 12:59 pm

MUTU wrote:
#12 wrote:
tflags wrote:[quote="MUTU"]Wow. Such a long article for Xabi Alonso's retirement. Kind of makes the Badstuber 2-paragraph statement all the more worse, doesn't it?

But they do owe Alonso?

Image[/quote]

Another one he wasn't able to feature in because of a yellow card suspension...
JUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPPJUPP

Years of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby MUTU » Sat May 20, 2017 2:17 pm

My "problem", tflags, is that Badstuber has contributed magnitudes of times more than Alonso towards Bayern successes despite his injury issues.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Re:

Postby Dumbledore7 » Sat May 20, 2017 2:21 pm

MUTU wrote:My "problem", tflags, is that Badstuber has contributed magnitudes of times more than Alonso towards Bayern successes despite his injury issues.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

And the club have been repaying him by basically giving him life for the past 5 years while he contributed nothing to the club. He's not owed a lengthy farewell text. I'm not even defending Alonso but Badstuber doesn't deserve any more.
Dumbledore7
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Indonesia

Postby pyrasur » Sat May 20, 2017 2:53 pm

Disappointingly petty.
而剑法的最高境界,则是手中无剑,心中也无剑,是以大胸怀,包容一切。那便是不杀,便是和平。-英雄
pyrasur
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby PunkCapitalist » Sat May 20, 2017 3:42 pm

pyrasur wrote:Disappointingly petty.

Agree.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
PunkCapitalist

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Official FC Bayern News