You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Heynckes: Bayern will be very, very motivated

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Heynckes: Bayern will be very, very motivated

Postby FCBayernNews » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:20 pm

Jupp Heynckes is one of football's gentlemen, who knows that visitors should be modest and polite. However, when Munich-based reporters asked the Bayer Leverkusen coach about this Sunday's trip to his future employers Bayern, Heynckes was unexpectedly forthright: "We've trained really well, and we're confident and strong, so we can safely say we aim to win in Munich!"

Bayern themselves want to win, of course, and the clash boasts a special edge this season: in their first match under interim boss Andries Jonker, the champions need three points in the effort to reclaim third spot from Hannover, while Leverkusen are very much still in the title race. "If we win, second place is ours and we'll be back with the big boys in the Champions League next season," said Heynckes.

The oldest coach in the Bundesliga at 65, the Bayer boss is still deliberately saying "we". Heynckes remains utterly committed to the Leverkusen cause for now. "For me personally, it's not an awkward or difficult match, because I have a contract with Bayer Leverkusen until 30 June," he declared, "I'll invest all my energy and expertise in a successful conclusion to the season."

Heynckes is well aware that a Bayer victory could spell the end of Bayern's hopes of third place, but he is determined not to offer any hostages to fortune. He feels former Munich man Michael Ballack could play a crucial role on Sunday: "Michael was inspirational in our last match. His experience will help us against Bayern," Heynckes said.

Undeterred by history

The Bayer supremo is aware of a new dawn in Munich. The change of coach from Louis van Gaal to Jonker has not exactly made the task easier for the Werkself. "Bayern will be very, very motivated, that's for sure. The new coach is bound to make a few changes," Heynckes advised fcbayern.de.

Leverkusen's talented young team will be respectful of their opponents, but also confident in their own ability, even though Bayer have not won in the Bavarian capital since 1989. Heynckes insisted history does not matter: "Statistics, statistics. They're just there to be demolished!"

Looking forward to top clash

Curiously enough, the Bayer boss was actually in charge of Munich when Bayern last beat Leverkusen, a 3-0 victory in May 2009. After Jürgen Klinsmann's dismissal on 27 April 2009, Heynckes did what Jonker is doing now, taking charge for the last five matches of the campaign and leading FCB into the Champions League.

Heynckes is clearly fond of his current charges - "Saying goodbye at the end of the season will be hard for everyone, for the players and for me" - and is refusing to be drawn into current events in Munich, "as I can't influence what happens there." Instead, he is looking forward to the Bundesliga showdown: "It's a game with magnetic appeal. It's very special for us to play the biggest and most successful club in the country in their wonderful stadium." It was a very gentlemanly conclusion from the respected Mr Heynckes.
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Official FC Bayern News