You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Gomez: I've never been in such good form

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Gomez: I've never been in such good form

Postby FCBayernNews » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:00 pm

Mario Gomez and Miroslav Klose are in a curious situation. Klose always starts for Germany with Gomez on the bench, but the reverse is the case at Bayern. "Miro does really well for the national team, and I'm doing really well at the club, so there's no reason for either coach to change anything," Gomez stated pragmatically, although he is aware of his own value: "I've scored more Bundesliga goals in the last three seasons than any other striker."

The 25-year-old is the league's top scorer with 19 goals to his name this term. In all competitions, he has scored 30 goals in 38 games, with 29 of them in the last 29 matches. He has also scored three times in five international appearances. "It's been a relatively successful season for me personally," the player justifiably noted, "I've never been in such good form."

The player is unwilling to be judged simply on his strike rate, pointing to positive developments in many aspects of his game. "I'm now happy in two completely different formations," remarked the goal-getter, who spent eight years with VfB Stuttgart before switching to Bayern in 2009.

"Stuttgart used very different tactics," the player explained, "but nowadays I'm equally at home when 20 players are in our opponents' half. It's something you have to learn, and that's what I did in the first eight or nine months. It was the biggest single step forward of my career."

Aiming at the Champions League

Gomez has been a fixture in the FCB starting line-up since October last year. He is now determined to play his part in the club sealing a Champions League qualifying spot in the last seven games of term. "I once even played in the Intertoto cup. It's really not a pleasure," he declared, shuddering at the thought of the Europa League. "It's not what you want as a player, especially not at Bayern. Our sights are set higher."

The aim now is to translate ambition into action. "We'll try everything we know to win as many as possible of our last seven games," stated Gomez, "that'll give us second or third spot." The final push starts at home to Borussia Mönchengladbach on Saturday - and it could be a profitable afternoon for Mario at the Allianz Arena, as he has scored in all the last four meetings with Gladbach.
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Official FC Bayern News