You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Gerd Müller celebrates his 67th birthday

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Gerd Müller celebrates his 67th birthday

Postby FCBayernNews » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:30 pm

As usual, there will be no reception, no speeches, and no fuss when Der Bomber celebrates his 67th birthday this Saturday in peace and quiet. Gerd Müller does not want any fanfares, even if his life is still wrapped up with football and FC Bayern. The relationship between the Reds and Gerd Müller goes back over 40 years - and Germany's record goalscorer is currently assistant coach of Bayern's fourth division reserves.

Müller has no intention of retiring at 67 - and he doesn't have to. "Gerd can work for as long as he wants. He doesn't need a contract. As long as he wants to come to the training ground then he can work for us," declared club president Uli Hoeneß a few years ago as he commented on his old friend's birthday.

Gerd Müller was born on 3 November 1945 in Nördlingen in Bavaria. He went on to make the penalty box his workplace. His stats are exemplary and he had a unique and legendary instinct for scoring goals. The ultimate recognition came from his erstwhile, and even greater, team-mate Franz Beckenbauer. "All our successes would not have been possible without him. We owe him everything," said the Kaiser.

Goals were Müller's trademark - 68 in 62 internationals, 365 in 427 Bundesliga games, a grand total of 1,455 goals in 1,204 competitive and friendly matches. Gerd has never been able to provide an explanation of his success in front of goal: "I don't know. You can't learn it. You've got to have an instinct for it. You've got to be able to react quickly and shoot with both feet."

Müller scored from all angles: on the deck, falling, with his left or right foot or his head. Gerd has never compiled a list of his top goals but he has no doubt about the most significant strike in his professional career: "I've scored better ones but the most important goal was the winner against Holland in the 1974 World Cup final." One of his inimitable twisting movements led to Germany lifting the World Cup in Munich for a second time.

Modest world star

"When I was a youngster and wasn't sure what to do with the ball, I looked to get it to Gerd and he always managed to do something with it," recalls his former team-mate Hoeneß: "Gerd has made a huge contribution to Bayern's international standing." Müller has never had any airs and graces, adds Hoeneß: "To this day, he's been a brilliant bloke and modest despite being a world star."

When the 18-year-old Müller left TSV Nördlingen to join second division Bayern Munich, there was little sign that Gerd was on the verge of a fantastic career. The qualified weaver received a basic weekly wage of 160 Deutsch Marks back then. Tschik Cajkowski rather mockingly called him the 'weightlifter' due to his powerful thighs, and the coach also gave the diminutive, rotund Müller his legendary nickname ("My small, fat Müller") later on. Gerd Müller ended his career in America 15 years later after having won everything possible with Bayern.

Records for eternity

Gerd was a World Cup (1974) and European Championship (1972) winner. He won the Bundesliga title and DFB Cup with Bayern four times each, the Intercontinetal Cup in 1976, the European Cup three times (1974-76) and the Cup Winners Cup in 1967. He was voted European Footballer of the Year in 1970 and German Footballer of the Year in 1967 and 1969. He was the top scorer at the 1970 World Cup with ten goals, and he was the leading goalscorer in the Bundesliga seven times.

Today's strikers may seek to measure themselves against Gerd's legendary stats even if that is an impossible task, as Germany front man Mario Gomez explains: "He's the best striker Germany's ever had." Müller's 40 goals in the 1971-2 Bundesliga season is the magical number. "Some records last forever," declares Müller himself. His 68 goals for Germany is more likely to be beaten - former FCB star Miroslav Klose is only one behind him at the moment.

Not just good times

Gerd Müller has not always just enjoyed the good times. Glory was followed by a fall at the start on the nineties. When he came back from America he was almost ruined by alcohol problems. "I suffered very much indeed," he confesses. It was his former Bayern team-mates, predominately Uli Hoeneß, who urged him to go on a detox program. He finished rehab after just four weeks. "It was quite an achievement to do that in four weeks," he proudly declared years ago.

Müller has been youth and reserve coach at Bayern since 1992. He has witnessed the progress of a great number of talented youngsters as Hermann Gerland's assistant, including David Alaba, Holger Badstuber, and his namesake Thomas Müller. Der Bomber even appeared alongside the Golden Boot winner at the 2010 World Cup in a TV advert. Gerd Müller is particularly happy that Thomas is proving such a big success at Bayern: "He's my number one."

fcbayern.de wishes Der Bomber many happy returns!
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Gerd Müller celebrates his 67th birthday

Postby ramsej84 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:52 pm

Best wishes for this legend. Happy birthday to der bomber...
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:14 pm

Happy birthday Bomber!
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby ramsej84 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:57 pm

It is a shame that he is not recognized as one of the best ever. He must me considered at the same level of Maradona and Pele
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby SouthernStar » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:51 am

ramsej84 wrote:It is a shame that he is not recognized as one of the best ever. He must me considered at the same level of Maradona and Pele

Isn't that pretty much most of what our players got? You are not going to believe that a lot of people don't even know who Beckenbauer is, even though he is up there with Maradona and Pele as football legends.

Speaking of der kaiser and der bomber, here's a video of Gerd's legendary games. I pretty much almost cried after watching... For someone born in the 80s, I always hope to see more videos of the 70s Golden team.

Watch the part 2 too :)
SouthernStar
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
United States of America
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Return to Official FC Bayern News