You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Dazzling Rensing seals crucial win

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Dazzling Rensing seals crucial win

Postby FCBayernNews » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:00 am

Earlier this week, Michael Rensing questioned his treatment by the German sports media this season. "Everything at Bayern is hyped up two or three times more than normal. It's too much and it's over the top. One of the goals against Bremen was my fault, but otherwise, I really don't know...," commented the 24-year-old, "but it'll all die down at some point."

The keeper's performance in Wednesday's 3-2 victory in Lyon will have gone a long way towards silencing the critics. Rensing's blistering second-half display was the crucial element in preserving his side's slender advantage, earning him a chorus of praise from the nation's often cynical newsmen, and from key figures at the club.

"Michael Rensing unquestionably had his best game since taking over as number one," chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge declared. "He was pure class a couple of times today. Michael made sure we got a result," Jürgen Klinsmann enthused.

Rensing played a key role in last Friday's dramatic victory over Hoffenheim too, preventing what would surely have been Sehad Salihovic's winning goal for the visitors three minutes from time (picture). "We've always said the Bayern keeper occasionally needs to decide a game in his team's favour - and thinking about Salihovic's chance, I have to say Rensing did that all by himself," Uli Hoeneß observed on Sunday.

The club is very happy with Rensing's current form. "He's made real progress in the last four to six weeks," said Hoeneß. "He's more calm and collected, his game is more sorted and his consistency is improving. We're very, very happy with how he's coming along," Klinsmann confirmed.

No easy legacy

The Bayern boss feels Rensing is a work in progress. "He's beginning to define the role for himself, which was always going to be unbelievably difficult after 14 years of Oliver Kahn." Klinsmann has frequently restated the immensity of the task in stepping into the legendary Kahn's shoes.

"People were naturally sceptical. It's not been an easy time for me," Rensing admitted in a kicker interview. The former Germany U-21 shot-stopper reckons he has made real progress in the last two months. "I'm settling down, I'm more confident, I'm more stable. I've shown I'm the number one at Bayern by right."

Fine European record

Indeed, TV station Premiere even named Rensing as one of the best eleven players in the entire Champions League group stage. "The 24-year-old has kept three clean sheets and provided his team with a solid platform in every match. Rensing salvaged a point in the 1-1 draw with Fiorentina, and rescued all three in Lyon thanks to his exceptional goal line reflexes," the broadcaster said.

It was also Rensing's eighth match in the Champions League - and he has yet to finish on the losing side in Europe's elite club competition, a run he naturally hopes to maintain. "Chelsea would be terrific," he said on Wednesday when asked who he would like FCB to face in the next round. "Although I'd be happy enough if we didn't meet them until the final."
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Official FC Bayern News