You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Day off as FCB camp gears up for run-in

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Day off as FCB camp gears up for run-in

Postby FCBayernNews » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:00 pm

Bayern's Säbener Strasse HQ and training ground was a peaceful place on Tuesday, with no cameras, no fans, and no training. Andries Jonker awarded his squad a day off, "because everyone needs to work through what's happened," the new FCB head coach explained.

Jonker spent his day at work, thinking hard about the immediate future. What can he do to ensure Bayern return to the Champions League qualifying spots? Will he alter the line-up? Who deserves a chance in the team? "I've had no time to think it through yet," the Dutchman said at his introductory news conference on Monday. In any case, he has little time to implement wholesale change, as Leverkusen are due at the Allianz Arena on Sunday for a crunch showdown.

Just another game

In a ironic twist of fate, it means Jonker's first game in charge is against the side currently coached by Jupp Heynckes, who will take over as FCB boss this summer. Jonker has to win, so that Heynckes leads a team in the Champions League next term. Heynckes has to win, for Bayer to keep alive their hopes of the league crown. Despite all that, Jonker insists it is "a game like any other".

The interim Bayern boss was a Heynckes fan in his youth. "When I was a kid, I had a terrific photo of Jupp Heynckes in his white Borussia Monchengladbach shirt," Jonker revealed, "I remember him as a very good striker." Later, in September 2002, the pair's paths crossed in Spain, as Jonker and Barcelona met Heynckes' Bilbao and won 2-0.

Pulling together

At Bayern two years ago, Heynckes succeeded in doing what Jonker is attempting to accomplish now. 'Don Jupp' replaced Jürgen Klinsmann, and took 13 of the last 15 points on offer to guide FCB to second spot and a guaranteed place in the Champions League group stage. "The players are determined to make it into the Champions League, the staff want it, the board wants it, and the fans want it," the current caretaker boss declared, confident everyone associated with the club would pull together in pursuit of their target.

Karl-Heinz Rummenigge expressed hope "that we'll present a united front on Sunday. That a spark of inspiration transfers from the pitch to the stands, and vice versa. And that we end up with the three points we all want." As of Wednesday, the stars will return to the practice ground to prepare for the weekend task: Jonker has called the squad in for training at 10 am.
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Official FC Bayern News