You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Brazilian aiming to emulate his idol Elber

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Brazilian aiming to emulate his idol Elber

Postby FCBayernNews » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:00 pm

Marcio Rafael Ferreira de Souza is actually a really nice guy. Before every match, even friendlies, he calls his mama Odete in Brazil ("She gives me strength"). He loves music and plays percussion, so he is looking for a house in Munich where he won't disturb the neighbours too badly ("I like listening to loud music, so it's better if the neighbours aren't too close."). But look out once he takes to the pitch, "because I'm a different guy," he says.

Rafinha, as the 25-year-old is known to all and sundry, is often described by the tabloids as a Giftzwerg, a poison dwarf (the player is just 1.71 metres / 5 ft 7 in tall). Jupp Heynckes preferred Sauhund, meaning something like "cheeky rogue" and used with great admiration and fondness. "Rafinha always makes life difficult for his opponent, he runs hard, he keeps on trundling up and down the right flank," said the FCB coach.

Sauhund? Rafinha himself thinks it is "a good word" to describe him as a player. "That's how it is: I'm aggressive and small - which is what I think the boss meant." He is the kind of player often likely to rile his opponent or the match officials. "Everything I do is for the team, but I'm basically very relaxed and approachable. You can always talk to me."

Heynckes has heard as much. "Manuel Neuer and some other Schalke players told me he's very disciplined and socially well-integrated," the coach revealed. The right-back spent a number of years at Schalke, but signed a three-year contract in Munich a few weeks ago.

Change of number

"I always dreamed of playing for Bayern, and now I'm here," said Rafinha, addressing reporters on his second day as a Munich player. Bayern had enquired after his services two years ago, he reported, "but a transfer from Schalke to Bayern was very complicated. Fortunately, it's worked out this time."

After five seasons in Gelsenkirchen and one in Genoa, the Brazilian is in Munich, where he will wear the squad number 13 and be asked to provide "extra stability" on the right side, according to Christian Nerlinger. Rafinha actually wanted the number 18, but at the time of signing his contract, it was still in the hands of Miroslav Klose. He chose 13 instead. "I like it. I had it in the national team," he explained.

Reunion with Manuel Neuer

He is now hoping 13 will be his lucky number at Bayern. His first goal is to claim a regular starting berth, then win trophies, and at some point, return to the Brazil set-up. He has just one cap for the Seleção, earned back in March 2008, although adding to that total is not his priority right now. "I have to focus on Bayern, and I hope that'll automatically get me back into the national team."

With the first couple of training sessions in Munich under his belt, the player said he had "a good feeling. The first workout, the early contacts with my new team-mates, with the coach and everyone here at Bayern has been very good." His arrival has been made easier by the presence of fellow Brazilians Luiz Gustavo, Breno and fitness coach Marcelo Martins. And Manuel Neuer is "a friend" from Schalke. "I'm glad we'll be playing together again."

Role model Elber

Rafinha has selected another friend as his role model for his spell with Bayern, ex-FCB idol Giovane Elber. "Giovane did really well at Bayern, and I hope I do too," stated Rafinha, who like Elber hails from Londrina, a city of 500,000. "He's a good friend, and he's been telling me how Bayern works."

Rafinha has clearly listened hard. "Bayern are expected to win every match, and win trophies," he said, demonstrating the confidence which is part and parcel of the club: "Obviously, there are other very good clubs in the Bundesliga, but we only have to be looking at ourselves." A classic case of Mia san mia!

Pocket rocket

"I think he's a good player for us on the right," commented Heynckes. "I always try and beat my opponent to the ball," said the Brazilian, asked to explain his methods when confronted with physically larger opponents. That happens quite often too. "You only get great big players here in Germany," he said, a look of amused regret on his face. Not that size matters in this case: Look out, because Rafinha is a different guy out on the field.
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Brazilian aiming to emulate his idol Elber

Postby quaazi » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:18 pm

FCBayernNews wrote:Rafinha, as the 25-year-old is known to all and sundry, is often described by the tabloids as a Giftzwerg, a poison dwarf (the player is just 1.71 metres / 5 ft 7 in tall). Jupp Heynckes preferred Sauhund, meaning something like "cheeky rogue" and used with great admiration and fondness. "Rafinha always makes life difficult for his opponent, he runs hard, he keeps on trundling up and down the right flank," said the FCB coach.

Cheeky rogue? :D

Sau means a female pig, while Hund stands for dog, obviously. He's our pigdog!
The ideal team

--------Müller with gloves--------
-Müller--Müller--Müller--Müller--
-------Müller---------Müller-------
----Müller----Müller----Müller----
---------------Müller---------------
quaazi
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Estonia

Re: Brazilian aiming to emulate his idol Elber

Postby AMLN » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:48 am

First, we had Pigtiger. Now Pigdog.

I guess Robberni is happy, very happy
AMLN
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to Official FC Bayern News