You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Aerial powerhouse Müller ends goal drought

News that's automatically retrieved from the official FC Bayern Munich website.

Aerial powerhouse Müller ends goal drought

Postby FCBayernNews » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:20 pm

Thomas Müller returned to form in Stuttgart last Wednesday with two assists, but just as in Hamburg a couple of days earlier, the top scorer at the 2010 World Cup was denied a goal of his own. A scoring drought lasting almost 20 hours finally came to an end when he netted Bayern's second against Kaiserslautern, "and it felt good," Thomas admitted afterwards.

It was a goal that had been coming, in more than one sense of the phrase. Müller's rapidly improving form pointed at imminent success, and he also drew further motivation by the presence on Saturday of his brother Simon, currently completing an internship at FCB's head office. "It'll happen tomorrow, Thomas will get one," Simon predicted on Friday, showing strong brotherly intuition.

Thomas duly delivered the goods on Saturday, netting with a phenomenal header reminiscent of former Bayern great Horst Hrubesch. "I was stunned at how I got up so well and won the ball against three big guys," the smiling Müller declared after the match, "I don't think I've ever been up that high before."

Müller's team-mates were equally taken aback as Müller soared through the air to meet Toni Kroos' chipped free-kick and score. "What a fantastic goal," said Mario Gomez, "after he landed, I thought he'd have broken a few bones, but that's Müller: he stood up and laughed." Three Kaiserslautern defenders and keeper Kevin Trapp were left statuesque by Müller's mighty leap. "Hats off to him," said Gomez. "I was really taken by surprise," grinned team captain Philipp Lahm.

No jokes in the dressing room

Müller last scored in a 3-0 victory over Leverkusen on 24 September 2011, since when the media have been totting up the striker's scoreless minutes. The whole kerfuffle left the 22-year-old cold. "I didn't specifically worry about it," the player said, "the priority isn't the number of goals I score, it's making a contribution to our play."

Gomez could not agree more. "Thomas doesn't measure himself by goals," the centre forward said, although he made no secret of his joy at Müller's goal. The minute-counting had not been a factor in the dressing room, Mario revealed, as that would only have increased the pressure on his fellow Germany international. "We didn't even do it as a laugh, because even if it's a joke, it's still a little bit serious."

Shaking off the burden

Boss Jupp Heynckes said it had always been "only a matter of time" before Müller returned to the goal trail. "I told him not to burden himself with it, but just try his best to end the drought." The player had turned in convincing displays in recent training sessions and matches, the coach continued.

Christian Nerlinger showed great sympathy for the player's predicament. "You always get phases when you're unlucky in front of goal," the director of sport pointed out, "but Thomas is the kind of guy who can easily cope." Nevertheless, it was clear Müller was relieved after finally putting the ball over the line again, and the same doubtless applied to his brother Simon, as he will no longer have to answer questions on the subject - for the time being at least.
FCBayernNews
News fetcher

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Aerial powerhouse Müller ends goal drought

Postby quaazi » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:03 pm

Wouldn't exactly call him an "aerial powerhouse", but whatever makes these articles easier to write...
The ideal team

--------Müller with gloves--------
-Müller--Müller--Müller--Müller--
-------Müller---------Müller-------
----Müller----Müller----Müller----
---------------Müller---------------
quaazi
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Estonia

Return to Official FC Bayern News