You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

World News Thread

A place where you can chill out with the BayernForum.com community and talk about anything.

Re: World News Thread

Postby FCB general » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:09 am

The political elite's got their methods to deal with those who are standing on their way. Now she's done with her work - forever. The best part - this isn't Russia but "free" and "tolerant" Malta.
Cada loco con su tema.
FCB general
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Red Cross

Postby ramsej84 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:54 pm

Julian Assange offers 20K € reward for the person who can identify DCG's assassin
https://twitter.com/JulianAssange/statu ... 0444872706

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby PunkCapitalist » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:11 pm

ramsej84 wrote:Julian Assange offers 20K € reward for the person who can identify DCG's assassin

Wow... Who was she investigating? A car bomb? :-|

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
PunkCapitalist

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:28 pm

PunkCapitalist wrote:
ramsej84 wrote:Julian Assange offers 20K € reward for the person who can identify DCG's assassin

Many people. She revealed Maltese involvement in the Panama Papers weeks before the Panama Papers were released. She has unearthed everything from ministers going to brothels in Germany, to secret trips to Azerbaijan, to links between the Azerbaijani ruling family and Maltese higher ups, to revelations of corrupt politicians taking kickbacks from many deals, and so on. There are 3 main secret companies mentioned in the Panama Papers which belong to politically exposed people in Malta: one belongs to a minister who enjoys a lot of confidence by the Prime Minister, one to the Prime Minister's chief of staff, and one which remains a mystery. About 6 months ago she alleged (publishing a number of documents) that that last one belongs to the Prime Minister's wife. This led to an early election in June, which got the government re-elected.

This obviously puts the government in a very suspicious position but things aren't so clear. She has been around for many years and has been attacking the party now in government for around 30 years (for most of this time they were in opposition). She had never written anything against the other main party, except in recent weeks when she went all out against the new leader who she claims is a money launderer. Then you also have to consider she implicated many foreign powers as well: Azerbaijan, Dubai... It could literally be anyone. Big, big loss for democracy.
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:43 pm

A 15 minute discussion about the issue on Radio New Zealand [source]
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby PunkCapitalist » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:44 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:
PunkCapitalist wrote:

Many people. She revealed Maltese involvement in the Panama Papers weeks before the Panama Papers were released. She has unearthed everything from ministers going to brothels in Germany, to secret trips to Azerbaijan, to links between the Azerbaijani ruling family and Maltese higher ups, to revelations of corrupt politicians taking kickbacks from many deals, and so on. There are 3 main secret companies mentioned in the Panama Papers which belong to politically exposed people in Malta: one belongs to a minister who enjoys a lot of confidence by the Prime Minister, one to the Prime Minister's chief of staff, and one which remains a mystery. About 6 months ago she alleged (publishing a number of documents) that that last one belongs to the Prime Minister's wife. This led to an early election in June, which got the government re-elected.

This obviously puts the government in a very suspicious position but things aren't so clear. She has been around for many years and has been attacking the party now in government for around 30 years (for most of this time they were in opposition). She had never written anything against the other main party, except in recent weeks when she went all out against the new leader who she claims is a money launderer. Then you also have to consider she implicated many foreign powers as well: Azerbaijan, Dubai... It could literally be anyone. Big, big loss for democracy.
Wow. How tragic, it sounds like she was an exceptionally brave investigator.

Does it sound reasonable that a Maltese is guilty of her assassination? I always had a picture of Malta being quote civil country, not of car-bombs and that sort of things.

PunkCapitalist

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby MaCk0y » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:56 pm

Car bombing is pretty popular in Malta.
There have been several. [source]
I'd say if you are a criminal and cross other criminals, I'd suggest taking the bus instead. :D
MaCk0y
Assistant Admin

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:08 pm

PunkCapitalist wrote:Wow. How tragic, it sounds like she was an exceptionally brave investigator.

Does it sound reasonable that a Maltese is guilty of her assassination? I always had a picture of Malta being quote civil country, not of car-bombs and that sort of things.

She was also an asshole, to be fair, but very good at journalism.

As MaCk0y said, there have been a number of car bombs in recent years. The paranoid might think that these were test runs, but I don't think so. They appear to be different kinds of explosives. Maybe the others served as inspiration though.

Malta used to be safe, but it really isn't anymore. This kind of politically motivated violence was common in the 1980s but not since. Then you have an increase in crime and violence (as ramsej likes to remind us, often by foreigners; but not just) in general. It's not the paradise it used to be. I mean, it's not less safe than a major city elsewhere, but these used to be things you hear about in international news only.

I don't know whether a Maltese was guilty or not, but I think so. Personally, I see 5 possibilities:
1) Someone from the government wanted her taken out.
2) Someone from the opposition wanted her taken out.
3) Some foreign power/mafia/whatever wanted her taken out.
4) It was a non-political person motivated by political reasons (someone upset at what she wrote about their party; the result of making gods out of politicians).
5) It was someone doing it for non-political reasons. As I said, she was a bit of an asshole, and hurt many people over the years for stupid reasons.

My first thoughts were that it's most likely #4, however, it seems that the explosive was very powerful and very sophisticated. It's more advanced than that used in other recent car bombs (so probably not the same person behind it; besides, those were apparently the result of gang wars). This leads me to suspect it was a professional job done by a hired hitman. To me, it's almost certainly one of 1-3 (5 is highly unlikely and is just fooling ourselves that this isn't about suppressing information and free speech); which one it is is anyone's guess.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:11 pm

It's also worth noting that, Prime Ministers and Leaders of the Opposition aside, her name was probably better known than that of any politician in Malta. At times, her readership was higher than that of all newspapers in Malta combined. That's why this is very big news. It's not just an ordinary journalist, although that would have been just as tragic.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:16 pm

car bombs have been going for the past two three years... but they were between criminals... one eliminate the other etc.
But this is different,,, although it might be not... latest rumors : Italian / Russian mafia
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:24 pm

ramsej84 wrote:car bombs have been going for the past two three years... but they were between criminals... one eliminate the other etc.
But this is different,,, although it might be not... latest rumors : Italian / Russian mafia

I saw a video in Italian earlier by an anti-Mafia writer but didn't have time to listen to it. I'll try to find the link.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:51 pm

https://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/v ... ium=widget

shameful ... [-X
his spelling says it all... [-X
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:20 pm

ramsej84 wrote:https://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20171017/local/police-sergeants-comments-after-caruana-galizia-murder-condemend.660623?utm_source=tom&utm_campaign=top5&utm_medium=widget

shameful ... [-X

A suspension is not enough.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:50 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:
ramsej84 wrote:https://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20171017/local/police-sergeants-comments-after-caruana-galizia-murder-condemend.660623?utm_source=tom&utm_campaign=top5&utm_medium=widget

shameful ... [-X

A suspension is not enough.
Thinga are getting nastier
https://www.timesofmalta.com/mobile/art ... lle.660671
I am already seening thousands in the streets calling for the PM's resignation...

Which imo won't solve anything.

What I know is that this barbaric murder is going to destabilize our country...

Who is at fault? IDK... could be anyone from the Govt to the opposition to any foreigner

ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Lukas » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:20 pm

A colleague of mine who is soon to retire returned from holiday in Malta yesterday. Looks like she left just in time.

On another note, when she was talking about her holiday I couldn't listen without thinking about this forum, wondering if she'd passed someone on here on the street without knowing :lol: . It has made me much more informed about Malta than I used to be. I used to think it was just a quaint island where older Brits go on holiday, like an exotic Isle of Wight. After reading this forum I know just how wrong I was :mrgreen:
Lukas
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
England

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge