You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

World News Thread

A place where you can chill out with the BayernForum.com community and talk about anything.

Re: World News Thread

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:28 pm

Dumbledore7 wrote:What a disgrace. They did minute of silence for Paris in the EU qualifiers.

Don't forget that in Paris a football match was targeted though. I thought the reason was that it was not football-related before I read the justification. You can understand their reasoning. Like I said though, it's one thing deciding not to have a minute of silence and another to refuse it if it was requested.
We will rise again! (when we stop burying our heads in the sand)
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby JANKER » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:29 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:although I had read that this is the way things are normally done in Turkey and it is not disrepectful

Those whistles sounded disrespectful enough to me... along with some other noises.
"Football is very simple." - Kaiser Franck
JANKER
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Basque Country

Postby Dumbledore7 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:33 pm

Understandable when it's put that way, I guess. However I'd have expected that they'd still do minute of silence for Paris even if a match or stadium weren't targeted.
Dumbledore7
I post all the time

National Flag:
Indonesia

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:36 pm

Dumbledore7 wrote:Understandable when it's put that way, I guess. However I'd have expected that they'd still do minute of silence for Paris even if a match or stadium weren't targeted.

Yes I agree. Who knows...
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby JANKER » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:37 pm

If Turkey was still in the tournament they'd have probably done the minute of silence.
JANKER

National Flag:
Basque Country

Postby ramsej84 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:08 pm

Turkish police say they've arrested 13 people in connection with Tuesday's triple suicide bombing and gun attack at Istanbul's main airport.
Three of those detained are foreign nationals.
The arrests came as officers launched simultaneous raids at 16 locations in Istanbul.
At least 42 people died in the airport attack being blamed on Islamic State militants.
Today, travellers were returning to the airport.
Some damage was still visible but passengers were undaunted.
The attack on Istanbul's Ataturk airport was Turkey's deadliest yet after a series of suicide bombings this year. [source]
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:17 pm

FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:26 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:@#12: I have nothing against restaurants. The foreigners aren't usually the chefs, we have very good Maltese chefs (I'm sure I've eaten food prepared by foreign chefs too, but I don't realise and I'm sure they are good anyway). But servers, waiters/waitresses, baristas etc are more often than not from elsewhere in Europe and have no clue of Maltese. You'd be surprised to know that despite English being an official language here, not everyone speaks it, and in my opinion very very few people speak it as fluently as Maltese. In Malta, English proficiency is still a social marker of either age or education. I don't mean to make the situation worse than it is; the vast majority of people will understand almost everything you say if you speak in English, but many struggle a lot to speak, read or write in English and that can be problematic in a restaurant setting.

I remember one time an Eastern European waitress takes our order and part of the order included a diet coke, but when she brought the drinks over she brought over a standard coke. We called her over again and told her that we had ordered a diet coke but were served a coke. Her answer, with a thick Eastern European accent, was: "here the Diet Coke is the same as the Coke, OK?" and immediately turned around and walked away.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:35 pm

Happens unfortunately. It's not the first time I've had a Maltese waiter come over to help.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:28 pm

Once the Maltese were known for their good sevice and all...
But with these foreigners what image are we giving of our selves?

Or you go to an italian rest owned by italians ... you have to listen to them seving English tourists... hmmm hmmmmm sorrrri i donta speeek english... italian pleaze...

how low... !!!! :evil:

Sent from my GT-S6802 using Tapatalk 2
ramsej84

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby #12 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:32 pm

@FCBM: I actually meant ramseij there - he complained about the many restaurants owned by Italians...
I get the problem... But IMHO that's actually homemade... Because we have many "foreign" waiters too... Just that they never get employed without being fluent in German... You won't even get a work permit... You probably have no such rule? Additionally, you have the "problem" that English is an official language... Makes things even easier to steer around... I can understand the anger and all, but I still think it's partly due to the fact that many/most Maltese probably don't want to wait tables?

I knew that English was still a domain of more educated (I always wondered though that such a small island - no offense - actually managed to develop it's own language...)...
Thanks for nothing, :pep: !!
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:02 pm

None taken, in fact our size in relation to the language is something most of us have mentioned as a point of pride at some point in our lives.

I think your point about English being an official language is the reason why they get away with employing English-speaking foreigners. Unfortunately official status does not mean everyone understands it well. Just look at Ireland; I know a couple of Irish people who say they speak their third language better than their officially first language, Irish.

Personally I think it is preferable to have English-speaking waiters rather than ones who speak only Maltese considering the importance of tourism and nightlife to our economy, but ideally they'd speak both. Most Maltese students have had at least one waiting job in their student years. But who am I to complain, I'm one of those who never did precisely because I'd have rather done any job other than waiting tables.

P.S. minute of silence for the Istanbul attacks after all as I am typing this.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby JANKER » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:03 pm

The Maltese would probably take those jobs if they were better paid... a thing that can't happen with cheaper workforce around.
JANKER

National Flag:
Basque Country

Postby #12 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:20 pm

Well... First of all, that's what minimum wage is for... And it's a very steessful job, but I know some people make more money than I do and I get a decent wage... Tips go a long way...
And if they have to pay more, they probably won't be able to keep their business open?! Increasing wages is a great goal - it's just not always that easy! Same goes for small businesses by the way... A friend of mine tells me all the time how much they struggle with wages...
I agree that the EU don't always think it all through (like languages, minimum wage, etc...) - and that is more than a legit reason for criticism... But not to wish for it collapsing IMHO...
Thanks for nothing, :pep: !!
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby ramsej84 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:23 pm

#12 wrote:@FCBM: I actually meant ramseij there - he complained about the many restaurants owned by Italians...
I get the problem... But IMHO that's actually homemade... Because we have many "foreign" waiters too... Just that they never get employed without being fluent in German... You won't even get a work permit... You probably have no such rule? Additionally, you have the "problem" that English is an official language... Makes things even easier to steer around... I can understand the anger and all, but I still think it's partly due to the fact that many/most Maltese probably don't want to wait tables?

I knew that English was still a domain of more educated (I always wondered though that such a small island - no offense - actually managed to develop it's own language...)...

that is why we are special ;-)
I urge to make some research you will like it.
By the way in Bremen Univ there Germans studying Maltese!

Sent from my GT-S6802 using Tapatalk 2
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge