You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

World Cups vs Champions League

A place where you can chill out with the BayernForum.com community and talk about anything.

Which competition make your football heart tick most?

Poll ended at Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:28 pm

World Cups
64%
Champions League
23%
Another International One (Euro etc.)
No votes
Local Leagues (PL, BL etc.)
No votes
Both WC and CL
9%
All
5%

Total votes : 22

World Cups vs Champions League

Postby AvatarX » Sat May 21, 2011 6:28 pm

A recent conversation with Mutu and some of my best friends made me realize that although most of football fans like almost every good game, they tend to have a preference on the competition that believe is the best - or make their heart tick the most.

I found out that most of the younger people I know tend to believe that CL is the most interesting thing to watch as a football fan, while some older ones believe that nothing else reaches the quality and the plurality of styles a WC has to offer. Of course options can be differ not necessarily regarding the age.

My favorite?

Well, I like watching football a lot and I can say that at least the last 10-12 years CL is really enjoyable to watch. BUT, I really cannot compare the anxiety, the pluralism of styles and the entertainment I get watching a World Cup.

Maybe it's because I saw some great world cups in the late 80's and 90's (as in the most recent ones almost all the teams are trying to play a European - more controlled - and a bit boring - type of football).

But really I cannot compare any CL match to some WC matches - like the England vs Argentina in '86 with Maradona making fool of the ref (first) and then the entire England NT (second goal). Or the final between them and Germany in the same year or the final 4 years later when with Klinsmann, Mathaus and co. we took our revenge. Or even the late 90's - early 00's WCs with Zidane and France miracle (who won an almost perfect Brazilian NT) or the Brazil with Rivaldo, Ronaldo etc. or how Kahn alone lead us to the final in WC 2002, or ....

There are many examples I can remember. We use to gather with my friends to watch WCs and it was really enjoyable as we support different NTs. (BTW one of my best friends is an Argentinian supporter so I had a lot of enjoyment in the last WC :)

So here's a question and a poll. Please discuss your preference and the reasons behind it.
"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred."
Assistant Admin & World Cup 2014 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Anonymous
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Re: World Cups vs Champions League

Postby quaazi » Sat May 21, 2011 6:35 pm

The World Cup is the biggest event in sport, bigger than the Olympic games, bigger than any Bowls of Super (is that what it is?), bigger than the Champions League. 'nuff said.
The ideal team

--------Müller with gloves--------
-Müller--Müller--Müller--Müller--
-------Müller---------Müller-------
----Müller----Müller----Müller----
---------------Müller---------------
quaazi
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Estonia

Postby Payam » Sat May 21, 2011 6:46 pm

I prefer the World Cup over any tournament.
In the CL players fight for first place because of the money and the chance of filling their trophy cabinets.
In the World cup the players are not just doing that, the players are representing their country, millions of people of all genders, races and class in society meet up in a friendly fashion to enjoy football.

You can almost feel the excitment in the stadiums and on the passion on the field (excluding England, they almost seem bored).
Take Jong Tae-Se fo an example. Remember how he cried when the national anthem of North Korea was played?

The Champions League is great, but it will never compete with the World Cup.
I'll paint any car for 3.95.
Payam
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Sweden

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sat May 21, 2011 6:57 pm

quaazi wrote:The World Cup is the biggest event in sport, bigger than the Olympic games, bigger than any Bowls of Super (is that what it is?), bigger than the Champions League. 'nuff said.

=D> =D>
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby shileno » Sat May 21, 2011 7:05 pm

I love CL because I love Bayern but.. In my country the WC is a party, specially when we're not used to that. Seeing the matches in big screens with tons of friends/people it's just amazing. Everyone feeling the same passion and joy, it's something you can't equalize with any other sports event.

I personally love when I see every country supporting their teams, it's beautiful. :D
shileno
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Chile

Postby bayern4l » Sat May 21, 2011 7:10 pm

World Cup. Definitely. :thumbup:
Manuel Neuer
bayern4l
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Serbia and Montenegro

Postby hgb09 » Sat May 21, 2011 8:02 pm

I think that the main reason for me preferring the WC over the CL is that the former comes only once every 4 years while the latter takes place every single year. Though both are really entertaining events, one always feels more passion towards the WC because players are representing their countries and you feel that they really give their best because the chance of experiencing such a thing isn't easy to achieve. It only comes 2 or max 3 times during a player's career, while in the CL there is always a chance to make up for failure.
hgb09
2014/15 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Lebanon

Postby tflags » Sat May 21, 2011 8:12 pm

The World Cup most definitively. I like the Champions, but there is nothing that compares to the WC.
Kimmich
Kimmich - Thiago - Kimmich
Kimmich -- Kimmich
Kimmich -- Hummels -- Boa --Kimmich
Kimmich with Gloves
tflags

National Flag:
Ecuador

Postby raz25 » Sat May 21, 2011 8:20 pm

I prefer CL over world cup because of these reasons:

- I've only watched 2 world cups, so it hasn't grown that much into me.
- My NT never participates (rightly so)
- I love Bayern more than any other club team or national team including Romania; Maybe if Romania had at least 5% chance of going all the way I would feel different, but it's clearly not the case unfortunately.
- WC is only once every 4 years (yeah yeah yeah "that's why it's so special", it's debatable I agree)

Don't get me wrong, I love the WCs. Unlike in CL matches, in a WC match you almost never can be neutral; That's why it's so fun to gather with some friends for a few beers. Oh, and I watch Germany's games with a lot of passion, some people even told me that I should have been born in Germany lol. And they always have a decent chance to win it, so it's obviously a lot of fun supporting them. I would be 50-50 if I were to stop here, but here comes the tricky part: when I'll see Lahm lifting the cup(NT) I'll obviously feel happy because I'm such a big fan of Germany (nation and football) but deep inside, I'm still romanian, and I'll feel kind of shitty knowing that my NT will never achieve that, at least not in the next 100 years. I haven't seen it live yet, but I'm 100% sure that that's how I'm going to feel. And this will be totally opposed to how I'll feel when Lahm will lift the CL cup: pure joy and satisfaction.
Ich bin ein Feierbiest!
raz25
I post all the time

Postby vijay92 » Sat May 21, 2011 9:56 pm

champions league :thumbup:
vijay92
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sat May 21, 2011 10:36 pm

raz25 wrote:My NT never participates (rightly so)

At least you guys qualified for EURO 2008 and have played in international tournaments in the past. Us Maltese are usually happy if we get a single point in qualification. :lol:
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby AvatarX » Sat May 21, 2011 11:36 pm

raz25 wrote:- My NT never participates (rightly so)

No, I remember seeing WC1994, your team had made a great impact with very good players like Hagi (especially) and Raducioiu. You managed to beat Colombia (with Valderrama) and Argentina in your way to quarter finals and you lost to PK.
"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred."

National Flag:
Anonymous

Postby dambun » Sun May 22, 2011 3:52 am

Of course, one could argue that CL has a much higher level (even Euro has a muhc higher quality).... But for me, the World Cup is still the best football competition: Simply because it's a worldwide tradition, involving the whole human world in itself... Another important reason is it being held every 4 years, not every year like the CL league.... So losing opportunities in a world cup might mean that you'll never get the chance to get it right next time.... but if one team loses and gets eliminated in CL, it's not that hard, they can always try and win it next year.... That's what makes it that great of a deal.... and you see many great players shedding tears when their team gets eliminated in WC....

So that's the competition that makes hearts tick more IMO.... But if you ask me "would you prefer to see a world cup match or a CL match?".... I'll immediately choose the CL...
"" "" "" ""
Time for overhaul!
dambun
2010/11 Prediction Game Winner

National Flag:
Iran

Postby gastarana » Sun May 22, 2011 5:04 am

World Cup without a doubt,after WC is EURO and CL.
gastarana
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby raz25 » Sun May 22, 2011 6:58 am

AvatarX wrote:No, I remember seeing WC1994, your team had made a great impact with very good players like Hagi (especially) and Raducioiu. You managed to beat Colombia (with Valderrama) and Argentina in your way to quarter finals and you lost to PK.

Oh yeah, I was just 2 years old, but I think I remember :) . Seriously now, I meant recently, and it's going to stay like that for a long long long time because of all the corruption and other things, I wouldn't wanna bore you guys with them :)

FCBayernMunchen wrote:At least you guys qualified for EURO 2008 and have played in international tournaments in the past. Us Maltese are usually happy if we get a single point in qualification. :lol:

I guess you are right, perhaps I am to greedy :)
Ich bin ein Feierbiest!
raz25
I post all the time

Next

Return to The Lounge