You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

World Cups vs Champions League

A place where you can chill out with the BayernForum.com community and talk about anything.

Which competition make your football heart tick most?

Poll ended at Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:28 pm

World Cups
64%
Champions League
23%
Another International One (Euro etc.)
No votes
Local Leagues (PL, BL etc.)
No votes
Both WC and CL
9%
All
5%

Total votes : 22

Re: World Cups vs Champions League

Postby Aequitas1987 » Sun May 22, 2011 8:39 am

World Cup is clearly more of an event for the whole football viewing world / respective country.

But personally for me its Champions League and thats only because I prefer having the inbuilt storyline of each team in that respective season, the injuries, the form, the tactics, the coach, the transfers going into the knockout phase. Also for me the greatest satisfaction comes in watching football tactics combat each other and even though the WC coaches do that as well because of the limited amount they have with their players its not close to enough counter-tacticizing as in Champions League.

In a world of perfect information (champions league) only the truly great or truly lucky coaches thrive. :)
SoStronk.com
Aequitas1987
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
India
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby MUTU » Sun May 22, 2011 11:47 am

I think that the Champions League has better quality than the World Cup. No national team would come close to Barcelona, and I bet that Bayern would beat Germany any day (the German players who don't play for Bayern aren't as good as the foreigners at Bayern)... Germany's answer to Robbery is, what, Podolski and Oezil? Having said that, there's more hype and interest around the World Cup, so it makes for better teasing at work.

All in all though, since it is more difficult for FC Bayern to win the CL than it is for Germany to win the World Cup, I would celebrate a CL victory more than a World Cup victory for Germany. Think about it: Bayern reached the final once in the last 10 CLs, and within the last 10 World Cups, Germany was finalist 5 times, winning twice.

The European Championship also deserves a special mention because the average quality in the competition is higher than the average quality in the World Cup. There are no crappy teams from Asia/Middle East. And some of the contestants from Africa and South America are also very poor. On average, the European teams are much better than any other continent's. Of course, you miss great teams like Brazil and Argentina in the Euro, but you won't see Saudi Arabia or New Zealand (sorry Italy!)
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby AvatarX » Sun May 22, 2011 2:02 pm

MUTU wrote: I bet that Bayern would beat Germany any day (the German players who don't play for Bayern aren't as good as the foreigners at Bayern)... Germany's answer to Robbery is, what, Podolski and Oezil?

The same players when they play for NT they are playing a step above. I don't know the reason behind it, but it happens. Few examples: Klose NT - no comparison with FCB Klose. Podolski in NT >> Podolski with Koeln or FCB. Merte for NT - no comparison with his games with Werder. Even Muller in the WC was levels above than he was with us (we all didn't think that he would made such a huge impression). And of course we all remember Schweini 2-3 years before. So I'm pretty sure that if we could clone Lahm / Schweini / Muller etc. Germany could won FCB.

MUTU wrote:All in all though, since it is more difficult for FC Bayern to win the CL than it is for Germany to win the World Cup, I would celebrate a CL victory more than a World Cup victory for Germany. Think about it: Bayern reached the final once in the last 10 CLs, and within the last 10 World Cups, Germany was finalist 5 times, winning twice.

It's not so easy to make it to a WC final. Germany along with Brazil has the most appearences in WC semis and finals, but Germany has to win a WC trophy 21 years :( But I would agree that Germany has better chances and that's because it is a better team IMHO, as the players look a lot more passionate when playing with their NT :P
"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred."
Assistant Admin & World Cup 2014 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Anonymous

Postby MUTU » Sun May 22, 2011 11:28 pm

AvatarX wrote:Klose NT - no comparison with FCB Klose

Agreed.

Podolski wrote:Podolski in NT >> Podolski with Koeln or FCB

In semi-agreement. Podolski has scored a lot for Germany, but I don't think he has proven anything internationally yet.

Podolski wrote:Merte for NT - no comparison with his games with Werder

I don't watch much of Mertesacker with Bremen, but with Germany he is almost always the weakest link in the squad.

I see you failed to mention other players who play better for their clubs than they do for Germany, eg Kroos, Gomez and Neuer. I remember a friendly some time ago where Bayern (who weren't at their best at the time) completely dominated Germany. It's what you'd expect out of a team that trains together day in day out vs one that trains for a couple of days before a match.

AvatarX wrote:It's not so easy to make it to a WC final. Germany along with Brazil has the most appearences in WC semis and finals, but Germany has to win a WC trophy 21 years :( But I would agree that Germany has better chances and that's because it is a better team IMHO, as the players look a lot more passionate when playing with their NT :P

You can also use the laws of probability. There are hundreds of thousands of registered club teams in Europe, but only one wins the Champions League. There are only 202 nations competing for a World Cup.

Also, as for passion... you may be right when comparing the motivation of the players in the World Cup to the Bundesliga, but in the Champions League, especially the critical matches, the players always give their 100%. Only last week you were saying that Klose was 2nd in the CL top scorers list... go figure!! ;)

Ultimately, if it was the most important match in the players' careers and Bayern was to play Germany, or Barcelona was to play Spain, if I was a gambling man I would play all my money on the clubs winning.
MUTU

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby chardos » Mon May 23, 2011 8:44 am

World Cup, hands down. I have never screamed and hit people during the Champions League. Only inanimate objects.
chardos

"That is football, we have seen it in the past. It is not always the better team that have the cup in the end .. It is hard to find words for that, but football is not everything."
-Thomas Müller
chardos
Woah, this feels cool!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Mon May 23, 2011 8:55 am

The WC is that tournament which simple everyone follows, even people who don't care about football. And it only comes once every four years.

The CL is played every year, and only football fans really follow it.

Now in terms of the quality of the participating teams, I'd have to agree that the CL is better.
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby AvatarX » Mon May 23, 2011 9:29 am

MUTU wrote:I remember a friendly some time ago where Bayern (who weren't at their best at the time) completely dominated Germany.

The game ended 1-1 but you can't really judge from that as you can't clone Lahm, Schweini etc.

MUTU wrote:Ultimately, if it was the most important match in the players' careers and Bayern was to play Germany, or Barcelona was to play Spain, if I was a gambling man I would play all my money on the clubs winning.

Anyway, this is just an hypothetical question, but I really can't see FCB crashing 4-1 England NT of Rooney, Lambard, Terry etc. , or Argentina of Messi, Higuain, Di Maria etc. with 4-0 (clean sheet :P).
"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred."

National Flag:
Anonymous

Postby MUTU » Mon May 23, 2011 11:28 am

AvatarX wrote:Anyway, this is just an hypothetical question, but I really can't see FCB crashing 4-1 England NT of Rooney, Lambard, Terry etc. , or Argentina of Messi, Higuain, Di Maria etc. with 4-0 (clean sheet :P).

I can. The way their defences were organised on the day makes St. Pauli's defence look good. And that's the major difference between club and country because it's only logical that the club would generally have better team chemistry. As for the clean sheet... just wait till we have Neuer :mrgreen: But I agree... it's all hypothetical...
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby quaazi » Mon May 23, 2011 11:38 am

Neuer conceded two against England, remember? :P
The ideal team

--------Müller with gloves--------
-Müller--Müller--Müller--Müller--
-------Müller---------Müller-------
----Müller----Müller----Müller----
---------------Müller---------------
quaazi
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Estonia

Postby AvatarX » Mon May 23, 2011 11:51 am

quaazi wrote:Neuer conceded two against England, remember? :P

No, he conceded only 1 goal. The following wasn't a goal :P

National Flag:
Anonymous

Postby Zigehh » Mon May 23, 2011 11:54 am

quaazi wrote:Neuer conceded two against England, remember? :P

That ball was never even close to the line :D...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zigehh
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Slovenia

Postby lau03143 » Mon May 23, 2011 2:32 pm

I voted for all, as I'll basically watch any football, and find most competition exciting.

I love going to watch Rangers in the Scottish Premier League, and the start of every new season!

I love watching the Bundesliga on ESPN and try to catch it as much as I can. There is even Russian League, Dutch Eredivisie, Italian Seria A etc etc

Then ofcourse the Champions League and Europa League pretty much have the best football on.

World Cups and European Championships are different, and the build-up and then watching the games can be great.

I just love my football!
To all those, Over the years,
who have come to
Munich as strangers
and left as good friends.
Zum Wohl!
lau03143
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby tflags » Mon May 23, 2011 3:55 pm

AvatarX wrote:No, he conceded only 1 goal. The following wasn't a goal :P

+1. I don't know if you did that or it was public, but it was great. LMAO... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kimmich
Kimmich - Thiago - Kimmich
Kimmich -- Kimmich
Kimmich -- Hummels -- Boa --Kimmich
Kimmich with Gloves
tflags

National Flag:
Ecuador

Postby quaazi » Mon May 23, 2011 4:42 pm

tflags wrote:
+1. I don't know if you did that or it was public, but it was great. LMAO... :lol: :lol: :lol:

It popped up hours after the incident. The internet can react pretty damn fast.
The ideal team

--------Müller with gloves--------
-Müller--Müller--Müller--Müller--
-------Müller---------Müller-------
----Müller----Müller----Müller----
---------------Müller---------------
quaazi
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

National Flag:
Estonia

Postby badbader88 » Tue May 24, 2011 11:24 am

World Cup advantage:
+ Players have a greater sense of pride representing their country
+ More 'intimate' connection between nation and the national team
+ More media coverage
+ More audience
+ More general interest

Word Cup disadvantage:
- Short duration - small injury can mean a player cannot represent his country at all
- Short preparation time for teams
- Only one game (not similar to home/away of CL) - coach has a big role before the game but a small role during the game
- Very difficult to study opponent (lack of NT games before WC)

CL dominates the WC IMO
badbader88
Getting the hang of it

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge