You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

What movie have you just watched?

A place where you can chill out with the BayernForum.com community and talk about anything.

Re: What movie have you just watched?

Postby runaway » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:23 am

Just watched Snowpiercer. Directed by Joon-ho Bong (The Host), and starring various Western actors like Capt. America, Tilda Swinton, John Hurt, Ed Harris, and the actress from The Help --Octavia Spencer. (Very good acting mostly.)

Plot: Humanity finally tried fixing climate change (my thought for this is we are out of options and we are standing on the edge of a cliff) by firing a chemical that will cool the atmosphere. (This is actually not far from the truth. I remember from one of The Colbert Report guests he wrote a book about climate engineering and one of the short-term solution can be spreading pollutants into the atmosphere. Crazy at is may sound.) The scientists miscalculated and the effect was catastrophic, and a new Ice Age fell upon Earth. The only survivors were the passengers of a train which is run by a perpetual motion engine and is self-sustaining. Like that floating city cruise ship. The train has a caste system, established by the train tickets bought. But the story takes place 17 years after all that happened. The tail of the train residents have enough and planned another revolution (there have been many).

It may seem like a sci-fi movie but it's not. It's a heavy movie not only the graphic violence but the premise as it is. I immediately assumed the worst of humanity and had a running thought they had eaten each other at some point.
Spoiler: show
I seriously thought the two kids taken early on the film is for meat. Watching too much Hannibal. :lol: But it turns out the train is self-sustaining. And the kids were for a more evil purpose. #-o

The story is like Animal Farm. (Although it's not based on that book but another French graphic novel.) There are those who might say that Snowpiercer is bad allegory because it doesn’t resemble the real world that we live in today. Those critics are not wrong. The movie doesn’t resemble the real world that we live in today. However, Animal Farm didn’t resemble real life 1940s English society that the English used to live in either.

As a lot of reviews you can read, it's a movie that doesn't assume the worst of it's audience but respects their intelligence. Weinstein Company was supposed to release a different cut of the movie that dumbs it down and offers a more concrete ending, for the US audience. :roll:

The ending doesn't put a dot on the story. It again depends on the audience what they think of it. And for me, this is the best way to end this kind of story. A revolution doesn't solve government failure. First hand, I saw that. In my country, Philippines, we once had a dictator. And we fought back in a bloodless revolution. But that is not the end. Life always moves on.
Spoiler: show
In the ending, my thoughts: Oh no no one survived but those two kids? Oh Shit! Oh shit a polar bear! Damn run! *does head turn* Oh wait! A polar bear! That means life exists! But oh shit the polar bear saw the kids and they'll be eaten! :lol:
“If players weren’t human, I’d never lose.” ~El Loco
runaway
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Philippines

Postby MaCk0y » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:42 pm

Watching Shinsekai yori.
MaCk0y
Assistant Admin

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Papua New Guinea
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby Haruko Arsenal » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:21 am

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.

The most Epic movie of all time. It's in my top 2, alongside There will be blood.
Haruko Arsenal
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Postby DerKaiser » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:24 pm

new tv series "From dusk till dawn", fun and well casted
If i had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive, they would eventually find me attractive.
DerKaiser
I post all the time

National Flag:
Germany

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:02 pm

Anyone watched the new Captain America movie?
We will rise again! (when we stop burying our heads in the sand)
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby tflags » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:08 pm

:|
Kimmich
Kimmich - Thiago - Kimmich
Kimmich -- Kimmich
Kimmich -- Hummels -- Boa --Kimmich
Kimmich with Gloves
tflags
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Ecuador

Postby Ruht » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:06 am

FCBayernMunchen wrote:Anyone watched the new Captain America movie?

Just watched it an hour ago. Loved it. So much stuff is going on in this one. And if you are watching the Agents of Shield tv series then it is even better as the next episode is supposed to pick up from where Cap left off basically. I'm really interested to see what happens now, can't help but love Marvel!
Ruht
I'm a chatterbox!

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:00 am

Ruht wrote:

Just watched it an hour ago. Loved it. So much stuff is going on in this one. And if you are watching the Agents of Shield tv series then it is even better as the next episode is supposed to pick up from where Cap left off basically. I'm really interested to see what happens now, can't help but love Marvel!

I was wondering whether it's worth watching at the cinema or waiting and watching it later. I take it you think it is?
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Ruht » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:31 am

FCBayernMunchen wrote:
Ruht wrote:

I was wondering whether it's worth watching at the cinema or waiting and watching it later. I take it you think it is?

For me it is, but then again I'm a big fan of the Marvel movies so that's why. It's much better than the first one with a lot of plot-twists this time around so I'd say go for it mate. I think you won't be disappointed. Oh and stay for the after-credits scene! :wink:
Ruht
I'm a chatterbox!

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby sobuj » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:04 pm

Looks awesome.
sobuj
Getting the hang of it

Years of membershipYears of membership

Postby MaCk0y » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:51 pm

Using 100% of our brain gives us super powers ? Nice. :)
MaCk0y
Assistant Admin

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Papua New Guinea

Postby runaway » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:25 pm

I was wondering about Capt. America too. Not been a fan of the first movie. I was hoping Noah was showing already here this weekend but it turns out it isn't so I guess I'll just watch it tomorrow. Watching Agents of Shield too heheheh that Thor crossover was fun.
runaway
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
Philippines

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:49 pm

runaway wrote:I was wondering about Capt. America too. Not been a fan of the first movie. I was hoping Noah was showing already here this weekend but it turns out it isn't so I guess I'll just watch it tomorrow. Watching Agents of Shield too heheheh that Thor crossover was fun.

Yeah Noah is another interesting one but I think it'll be quite some time until I watch it.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Ruht » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:57 pm

runaway wrote:I was wondering about Capt. America too. Not been a fan of the first movie. I was hoping Noah was showing already here this weekend but it turns out it isn't so I guess I'll just watch it tomorrow. Watching Agents of Shield too heheheh that Thor crossover was fun.

I can't wait to go and see Noah, mainly because of Emma Watson :oops:

And Agents of Shield is really good right now, I'm enjoying it. Didn't start off very well but the last couple of episodes have been brilliant for me. Can't wait to see what happens in the next episode after all the events in the Cap movie. You better watch it before you see the next Agents episodes :D
Ruht
I'm a chatterbox!

National Flag:
United Kingdom

Postby runaway » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:14 am

Ruht wrote:I can't wait to go and see Noah, mainly because of Emma Watson :oops:

same reason. :wink: :oops:
runaway
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
Philippines

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge