You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

What do you dislike about football ?

A place where you can chill out with the BayernForum.com community and talk about anything.

Re: What do you dislike about football ?

Postby MoFattal » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:28 am

The Away Goal Rule.
MoFattal
2011/12 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Lebanon
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby AdepT » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:54 am

I would probably go with club ownership principles. Have billionaires sit on board and but don't let them take over it.
Because many out there are in the game just for the money which is very wrong.

As for the diving/referees' errors/park bus strategy/teams strength disparity in league or CL are just plain old simple rules of life. I do think these are odd but surely don't hate them. It's something new each game. Obviously teams should properly manage their money. We can't compare someone who's done it and is now richer than others. It's management. Some hit it, some miss it. Also, there wouldn't be any David-Goliath stories now, would they if all were equals? That's why such a victory is so endearing for a not-so-rich club.
You'd have always seen and experienced something of the kind from school to work places. There's errors, there's cheating, there's play safe strategy and there's rich and poor. There's always two sides to everything.

MoFattal wrote:The Away Goal Rule.

I am not sure if I would dislike that. After all how do you judge if two teams are on same goals. Penalties maybe.
Every team knows about the rule and tries to utilize it to their best of abilities. There's an obvious benefit of familiarity and support available at home. If you can't put it use, it's not really anyone else's fault is it? Teams who go out on the basis of away goals result, whine about it as if they didn't know shit about it. If you can't put it to use, it's your fault.
If your dislike is because of the defensive play, not all teams play defensive away from home out of the blue. Only those whose game plan even at home is based on that go for it. Fearless teams always go for the kill.
Last edited by AdepT on Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
'To be successful, you have to give everything.' - Bastian Schweinsteiger
AdepT
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
India

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:00 am

I agree with MoFattal, it just doesn't make sense. Sure, it's harder playing away from home, but that's still not a fair way. So If I lose 4-2 away and win 2-0 at home, I will go through, even though I couldn't win on aggregate and was bad enough to concede 4 in a game. Also, this might encourage more defensive play once you take the lead at home, to avoid letting in that dangerous away goaal.

I have always failed to undersant the reasoning behind: a 2-0 win and 0-2 loss goes to extra time, but a 2-1 win and 0-1 loss does not.
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby AdepT » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:22 am

FCBayernMunchen wrote:So If I lose 4-2 away and win 2-0 at home, I will go through, even though I couldn't win on aggregate and was bad enough to concede 4 in a game.

Well, if a team is bad enough to concede 4 in one game, shouldn't the other team take the blame for not scoring enough in the other leg to finish off the job. It's both teams that are at fault. One in one game and one in another.

Also, this might encourage more defensive play once you take the lead at home, to avoid letting in that dangerous away goaal.

I guess I would agree here but what can we do with that. It's part of the strategy for the game. Slowing down the tempo is one thing but parking the bus is another. But I would still leave that choice to a particular team because there's no rule against it. You can be ultra attacking or ultra defensive. And if the attacking team fails to convert and the defensive team finds a way through, there's nothing to complain. After all they did score the goal that the attacking team couldn't. The play might be displeasing to watch but it's just another tactic.

I have always failed to undersant the reasoning behind: a 2-0 win and 0-2 loss goes to extra time, but a 2-1 win and 0-1 loss does not.

That is why mentioned of home familiarity. But I would too rather see the game to extra time and then may be penalties. But I surely don't dislike the way it is now. It's a known rule. Like if you score more goals you'd win. Change it to if you score more away from home, you increase your chances to win. The result of allowing a team to go through may not be fair but hey, everyone knew the rule before they came to play the game. So, I dislike the whining teams.
However, I do think that extra time introduction would be better.

But that gives rise to two new discussions :
1. A team has to play 30 mins extra in an away game. I am sure if the away teams end up losing, this would be the next excuse or topic of debate. What to do then? Why one team gets the home-factor for extra 30mins and the other does not?
2. Also, if the game were to move to penalties, as hard it is already to take one, it's not fair that one has to do away with 60-70k people jeering and the other with no disturbances.
Something wrong with rules will always be found if the away goals rule is abandoned and extra time is introduced like I mentioned above.

The rule is to give benefit to the team who's scored more in "adverse situations". Deny it or not, the 'home' of one team is always a tough place for another. If you come out on top and the other doesn't, you have to deal with that. "HOME FACTOR" has an impact so the benefit to the better away team. Like I have been saying, both teams get their chances, some do better while who fail whine about the rule. Of course, they whine only when they go out and not when they go through. :|

If only the situations weren't different, the rule could have been different. :|
Last edited by AdepT on Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
AdepT
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
India

Postby ramsej84 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:28 am

FCBayernMunchen wrote:I agree with MoFattal, it just doesn't make sense. Sure, it's harder playing away from home, but that's still not a fair way. So If I lose 4-2 away and win 2-0 at home, I will go through, even though I couldn't win on aggregate and was bad enough to concede 4 in a game. Also, this might encourage more defensive play once you take the lead at home, to avoid letting in that dangerous away goaal.

And another strange (in my perspective) aspect of the away goals is : the away goal rule during the extra time.
In fact I've learned about it very lately when FC Bayern were playing Getafe in the Uefa Cup :oops:
I remember telling my self why is Kahn so euphoric !!! ''after all we haven't won yet cause there are the penalties''! But a friend of mine reminded me about the 'rule'
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MoFattal » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:44 am

AdepT wrote:There's an obvious benefit of familiarity and support available at home.

1- Why should the number of goals scored away be the decisive factor? For some, the number of goals conceded away (the lesser) might be a better indication of the better team. The home team has the "obvious benefit of familiarity and support", so it is not unrealistic to consider that it is a tougher task for the visiting team to prevent conceding a goal rather than scoring one. If you win 2-1 at home and lose 0-1 away, this would still make you qualify, and it can be argued that this is more fair. Personally, I prefer neither and would like any aggregate draw to go to ET.

2- Isn't playing at least 30 minutes of extra time after an aggregate draw (with equal scores) in an away stadium unfair? The hosting team will have then the "obvious benefit of familiarity and support", whereas the visiting team will benefit fully from the away-goal rule even though those 30 ET minutes are not actually two-legged. But since 1 ET is the only practical solution at hands, it would be more fair to have any aggregate draw proceed to ET, regardless of the number scored home and away.
MoFattal

National Flag:
Lebanon

Postby MUTU » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:00 am

ramsej84 wrote:I remember telling my self why is Kahn so euphoric !!! ''after all we haven't won yet cause there are the penalties''! But a friend of mine reminded me about the 'rule'

And you don't remember it was me telling you at the Bayern Malta club? :) Haha :)

About the away goals rule: I hate it. It should be the other way round in my opinion, they should change it to "home goals rule". The way the system is designed is to encourage teams playing at home in front of their fans to defend so as not to concede a goal, rather than try to score. If there was a "home goals rule" we'd probably see higher scoring matches.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:19 am

MUTU wrote:
ramsej84 wrote:I remember telling my self why is Kahn so euphoric !!! ''after all we haven't won yet cause there are the penalties''! But a friend of mine reminded me about the 'rule'

And you don't remember it was me telling you at the Bayern Malta club? :) Haha :)

About the away goals rule: I hate it. It should be the other way round in my opinion, they should change it to "home goals rule". The way the system is designed is to encourage teams playing at home in front of their fans to defend so as not to concede a goal, rather than try to score. If there was a "home goals rule" we'd probably see higher scoring matches.

So it was you??? :)
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

National Flag:
Malta

Postby AdepT » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:26 am

MoFattal wrote:2- Isn't playing at least 30 minutes of extra time after an aggregate draw (with equal scores) in an away stadium unfair? The hosting team will have then the "obvious benefit of familiarity and support", whereas the visiting team will benefit fully from the away-goal rule even though those 30 ET minutes are not actually two-legged. But since 1 ET is the only practical solution at hands, it would be more fair to have any aggregate draw proceed to ET, regardless of the number scored home and away.

Well, I guess you're right that ET could be played. But that is not going to solve the problem entirely.

I can very easily imagine teams complaining about the 'away ET', when it doesn't go their way. :|
Last edited by AdepT on Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
AdepT
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
India

Postby MUTU » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:31 am

ramsej84 wrote:
MUTU wrote:

So it was you??? :)

Yes, I remember you asking me why everyone is celebrating so much and that the match isn't over and that's when I explained it :)
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:17 pm

Funny, I found out about that in the Getafe game as well. I remember saying at 3-2, "This loss is embarassing, I hope it can go to penalties at least if we are to lose." Of course, at that point it was no longer possible to go to penalties. And after Chelsea I now know that it's better to just lose in ET.

AdepT wrote:Well, if a team is bad enough to concede 4 in one game, shouldn't the other team take the blame for not scoring enough in the other leg to finish off the job. It's both teams that are at fault. One in one game and one in another.

My friend, that's exactly why the rule makes no sense. :wink:
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby tflags » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:34 pm

MoFattal wrote:The Away Goal Rule.

I really, really, really hate to disagree here Mo. To me the away goal is, along with the back-pass rule, the two best changes brought to the game since offsides were conceived. I come from a time (and quite possible a place) where two legged affairs were boring enough the audience would spend half of the game jeering at defenders passing the ball back to the keeper whenever an apposing team attacker roamed into dangerous territory. Hardly any away team attacked due to the lack of necessity to do so.

The system was set up so that all you had to do was to keep a low scoreline while away and kill them on the return leg (or vice-versa.) But although this sounds fun, it wasn't. Defending was too easy as to pass the ball back to the keeper and simply score one more goal that what you conceded.

I think the away goal forces teams to play football and playing football, much to the dislike of Mourinho fans here, means scoring goals. I always remember this whenever those CL reruns start showing up on the tube: How different football looks nowadays from those days.
Kimmich
Kimmich - Thiago - Kimmich
Kimmich -- Kimmich
Kimmich -- Hummels -- Boa --Kimmich
Kimmich with Gloves
tflags

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Ecuador

Postby MoFattal » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:51 pm

You have a point there, but sending any equal aggregate score to ET wouldn't be less exciting and would be more fair as well to both sides.
MoFattal

National Flag:
Lebanon

Postby lau03143 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:09 pm

The amount of money in the game. The costs of actively supporting a team is horrendous.
To all those, Over the years,
who have come to
Munich as strangers
and left as good friends.
Zum Wohl!
lau03143
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Scotland

Postby lau03143 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:11 pm

The away goal rule is a fine rule.

And penalties is a fine way of concluding a game that is tied after 120 mins of play.
To all those, Over the years,
who have come to
Munich as strangers
and left as good friends.
Zum Wohl!
lau03143
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
Scotland

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge