You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Electronics

A place where you can chill out with the BayernForum.com community and talk about anything.
 

Re: Electronics

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:22 pm

MaCk0y wrote:Probably windows updates. Are there any?

Only one. I'll try updating it and see if that helps. :)
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
User avatar
FCBayernMunchen
Moderator
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 29954
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:54 pm
Location: Malta
National Flag:
Malta
Has thanked: 8244 times
Been thanked: 6909 times
Gender: Male
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Re: Electronics

Postby MaCk0y » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:25 pm

Is the disk activity still high? Check Resource Monitor and sort by Total under Disk Activity. You should upgrade to a SSD. :P
User avatar
MaCk0y
Assistant Admin
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 5645
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:46 pm
Location: Malta
Has thanked: 1614 times
Been thanked: 1335 times
Gender: Male
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Re: Electronics

Postby MUTU » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:28 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:Is it normal for a laptop to be very slow (online and offline) after booting it up for the first time in 11 days? :?

You seem to have scheduled antivirus scanning. So when you missed the schedule it is probably starting immediately and affecting performance. Plus AVG sucks.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
User avatar
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 29586
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:00 pm
Location: L-Imqabba, Malta
National Flag:
Malta
Has thanked: 5119 times
Been thanked: 7496 times
Gender: Male
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Re: Electronics

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:33 pm

MUTU wrote:You seem to have scheduled antivirus scanning. So when you missed the schedule it is probably starting immediately and affecting performance. Plus AVG sucks.

Any alternative suggestions?

It's much better now than earlier but still slower than it used to be.

MaCk0y wrote:You should upgrade to a SSD.

Can't afford to buy a laptop right now considering I've only owned this one (a cheap one) for a year, although I'd like a more portable one as I never take this outside.
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
User avatar
FCBayernMunchen
Moderator
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 29954
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:54 pm
Location: Malta
National Flag:
Malta
Has thanked: 8244 times
Been thanked: 6909 times
Gender: Male
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Re: Electronics

Postby MaCk0y » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:54 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:
MUTU wrote:You seem to have scheduled antivirus scanning. So when you missed the schedule it is probably starting immediately and affecting performance. Plus AVG sucks.

Any alternative suggestions?

It's much better now than earlier but still slower than it used to be.

MaCk0y wrote:You should upgrade to a SSD.

Can't afford to buy a laptop right now considering I've only owned this one (a cheap one) for a year, although I'd like a more portable one as I never take this outside.


You don't need to buy a new laptop. Replace your hard disk. Depends on how much storage you use. A 256GB SSD costs around €80. You will feel the difference. I have been using SSDs since 6 years. Best new computer technology these last 15 years IMO. Mechanical hard drives are just one big bottleneck especially laptop hard drives which generally are 5400RPM. What is your laptop?
User avatar
MaCk0y
Assistant Admin
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 5645
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:46 pm
Location: Malta
Has thanked: 1614 times
Been thanked: 1335 times
Gender: Male
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Re: Electronics

Postby MUTU » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:01 pm

SSDs are going to get outdated very soon by Optane drives that will theoretically run 1,000 times faster than SSDs. They will be released this year but will only be 3-4 times faster for now.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
User avatar
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 29586
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:00 pm
Location: L-Imqabba, Malta
National Flag:
Malta
Has thanked: 5119 times
Been thanked: 7496 times
Gender: Male
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Re: Electronics

Postby PunkCapitalist » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:14 pm

MUTU wrote:SSDs are going to get outdated very soon by Optane drives that will theoretically run 1,000 times faster than SSDs. They will be released this year but will only be 3-4 times faster for now.

I didnt know about those, but I doubt they will make a (perceivable) difference. I've been on my new laptop for a couple of weeks now, it's the first computer I've used that has an SSD and I can't believe how fast it is. More drove speed would be wasted on it.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
User avatar
PunkCapitalist
I live on BayernForum.com
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 5178
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:15 pm
Has thanked: 2182 times
Been thanked: 2074 times
Gender: Male

Re: Electronics

Postby tflags » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:22 pm

I got a 150% speed increase from a M.2 NVMe upgrade from an already fast M.2 SSD. When the windows logo shows up, I don't see the circling spots anymore.

I really don't care what's next. :mrgreen:
Kimmich
Kimmich - Thiago - Kimmich
Kimmich -- Kimmich
Kimmich -- Hummels -- Boa --Kimmich
Kimmich with Gloves
User avatar
tflags
Moderator
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 8603
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:41 pm
Location: Around the world... in 80 days.
National Flag:
Ecuador
Has thanked: 773 times
Been thanked: 2718 times
Gender: Male
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Re: Electronics

Postby MaCk0y » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:31 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:
MUTU wrote:You seem to have scheduled antivirus scanning. So when you missed the schedule it is probably starting immediately and affecting performance. Plus AVG sucks.

Any alternative suggestions?


Use Windows Defender and occasionally scan with Malwarebyte's. As long as you know what you are doing, Defender is enough. :P
User avatar
MaCk0y
Assistant Admin
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 5645
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:46 pm
Location: Malta
Has thanked: 1614 times
Been thanked: 1335 times
Gender: Male
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Re: Electronics

Postby Argeta » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:39 pm

@FCBayernMunchen

Hmm, I submitted a post but it did not appear, so I will try again (hoping there wont be a double post)

I had this problem too just a week ago, what I did was tweaking with the regeditor. Just follow these steps!

1. Type regedit in the search bar next to the Windows Logo.
2. Navigate to Computer > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > ControlSet001 > Services > Ndu
3. Double click on the file that is named Start
4. You will be able to change the value here. It is usually 2, change it to 4.
5. Reboot!
User avatar
Argeta
I'm a chatterbox!
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 945
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:11 pm
Has thanked: 279 times
Been thanked: 275 times
Gender: Male

Re: Electronics

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:26 pm

Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
User avatar
FCBayernMunchen
Moderator
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 29954
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:54 pm
Location: Malta
National Flag:
Malta
Has thanked: 8244 times
Been thanked: 6909 times
Gender: Male
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Re: Electronics

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:27 pm

Argeta wrote:@FCBayernMunchen

Hmm, I submitted a post but it did not appear, so I will try again (hoping there wont be a double post)

I had this problem too just a week ago, what I did was tweaking with the regeditor. Just follow these steps!

1. Type regedit in the search bar next to the Windows Logo.
2. Navigate to Computer > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > ControlSet001 > Services > Ndu
3. Double click on the file that is named Start
4. You will be able to change the value here. It is usually 2, change it to 4.
5. Reboot!

Will look into this though I try my best not to mess with the registry due to my lack of computer knowledge.
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
User avatar
FCBayernMunchen
Moderator
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 29954
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:54 pm
Location: Malta
National Flag:
Malta
Has thanked: 8244 times
Been thanked: 6909 times
Gender: Male
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Re: Electronics

Postby Argeta » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:30 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:
Argeta wrote:@FCBayernMunchen

Hmm, I submitted a post but it did not appear, so I will try again (hoping there wont be a double post)

I had this problem too just a week ago, what I did was tweaking with the regeditor. Just follow these steps!

1. Type regedit in the search bar next to the Windows Logo.
2. Navigate to Computer > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > ControlSet001 > Services > Ndu
3. Double click on the file that is named Start
4. You will be able to change the value here. It is usually 2, change it to 4.
5. Reboot!

Will look into this though I try my best not to mess with the registry due to my lack of computer knowledge.

It might seem scary, but each value just stands for a different setting on how the computer should start up. 4 uses less memory than value 2, made my PC run 10 times faster.
User avatar
Argeta
I'm a chatterbox!
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 945
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:11 pm
Has thanked: 279 times
Been thanked: 275 times
Gender: Male

Re: Electronics

Postby SrLuisGuilherme » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:02 pm

MUTU wrote:SSDs are going to get outdated very soon by Optane drives that will theoretically run 1,000 times faster than SSDs. They will be released this year but will only be 3-4 times faster for now.

don't even want to imagine the price of those
User avatar
SrLuisGuilherme
I post all the time
 
Years of membership
 
Posts: 1447
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:14 am
Has thanked: 572 times
Been thanked: 689 times
Gender: Male

Re: Electronics

Postby MaCk0y » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:01 pm

MUTU wrote:SSDs are going to get outdated very soon by Optane drives that will theoretically run 1,000 times faster than SSDs. They will be released this year but will only be 3-4 times faster for now.


They're still called SSDs. :P Instead of using NAND memory, uses 3D Xpoint memory Then there is Samsung's Z-NAND.
User avatar
MaCk0y
Assistant Admin
 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
 
Posts: 5645
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:46 pm
Location: Malta
Has thanked: 1614 times
Been thanked: 1335 times
Gender: Male
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests