You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Electronics

A place where you can chill out with the BayernForum.com community and talk about anything.

Re: Electronics

Postby PunkCapitalist » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:58 pm

Recently my laptop got stolen so I need a new one. On a brief survey, this is my first candidate:

https://www.amazon.com/HP-Notebook-15-a ... rds=laptop

Code: Select all
Screen Size   15.6 inches
Screen Resolution   1920 x 1080 pixels
Max Screen Resolution   1920x1080 pixels
Processor   2.3 GHz Core i5 6200U
RAM   8 GB DDR3L SDRAM
Memory Speed   1600 MHz
Hard Drive   128 GB flash_memory_solid_state
Graphics Coprocessor   shared
Wireless Type   802.11 A/C
Number of USB 2.0 Ports   2
Number of USB 3.0 Ports   1
Other Technical Details
Brand Name   HP
Series   Notebook
Item model number   W2M74UA#ABA
Hardware Platform   PC
Operating System   Windows 10
Item Weight   4.7 pounds
Product Dimensions   10 x 15.1 x 0.9 inches
Item Dimensions L x W x H   10.02 x 15.12 x 0.95 inches
Color   Silver
Processor Brand   Intel
Processor Count   2
Computer Memory Type   DDR3 SDRAM
Flash Memory Size   128.0
Optical Drive Type   DVD+RW
Audio-out Ports (#)   1
Battery Type   Lithium-Ion (Li-Ion)
Batteries   1 Lithium ion batteries required. (included)

I mostly want it for basic computing (MS Office, Web Browing) but also watch A LOT of TV/Movies on my laptop so confort in that regard is importat. Don´t want to spend more than $500. I like this one because of the SSD (i think i can buy an external HD if I need more storage space), its relatively good CPU, good RAM size and apparently good Screen and resolution (although my previos Laptop was 17", so going down to 15" will take some getting used to). Don´t care much about weight and portability, but don´t suggest a desktop, i do like moving around the house and occasionaly need to take her out. Any suggestions? Other models you would suggest, anything wrong you see in this one´s specks?

ALSO: On a day-to-day basis I mostly use Linux (Arch with Gnome3), but occasionaly log into Windows to do Office work or play a game (simple lightweight games like older CoD:MW or Indie Games, nothing fancy).
PunkCapitalist
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membership

Postby MaCk0y » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:13 am

The 250GB SSD would be better but you can only get it with an i7 which increases the cost.
MaCk0y
Assistant Admin

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Papua New Guinea
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:25 pm

What exactly is the difference between cheaper and more expensive headphones for the casual user? I'm not into music that much and mostly use them to watch shows, so I don't really care about better sound quality. I was just wondering whether a more expensive investment is likely to be more durable and thus save me money long term.

My last headphones were the Philips SHL3060WT. Lasted around 6.5 months, which isn't too bad but I'd prefer not having to spend €25-35 twice a year. Earphones tend to last even less, although I've done very well with Apple's stock earphones so far... I'd just rather have more comfortable headphones for binge watching.
We will rise again! (when we stop burying our heads in the sand)
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MaCk0y » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:31 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:What exactly is the difference between cheaper and more expensive headphones for the casual user? I'm not into music that much and mostly use them to watch shows, so I don't really care about better sound quality. I was just wondering whether a more expensive investment is likely to be more durable and thus save me money long term.

My last headphones were the Philips SHL3060WT. Lasted around 6.5 months, which isn't too bad but I'd prefer not having to spend €25-35 twice a year. Earphones tend to last even less, although I've done very well with Apple's stock earphones so far... I'd just rather have more comfortable headphones for binge watching.

How come they only lasted 6 months?
MaCk0y
Assistant Admin

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Papua New Guinea

Postby PunkCapitalist » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:33 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:What exactly is the difference between cheaper and more expensive headphones for the casual user? I'm not into music that much and mostly use them to watch shows, so I don't really care about better sound quality. I was just wondering whether a more expensive investment is likely to be more durable and thus save me money long term.

If you were an audiophile it might make a difference, but I don't think throwing money on an expensive equipment is worth otherwise. Maybe look for Bluetooth headphones? In my experience the part which last the least is the cord (I hate cords and cables...).

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
PunkCapitalist
I'm a post king!

Postby nm462272 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:08 pm

I'm not an audiophile by any stretch, but once you start using headphones in the 150-250 euro range, the difference is quite remarkable. I don't know how to describe it, but it sounds "fuller"... once you go back to the cheap headphones, everything sounds like it's coming through a telephone.
Des interessiert mi ois ned, der Scheißdreck. Weltmeister samma! Den Pott hamma! Den scheiß goldener Schuh kannst da hinter d’Ohr’n schmiern! - Mia San Mia

Euer Hass ist unser Stolz!
nm462272
I post all the time

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:25 pm

MaCk0y wrote:How come they only lasted 6 months?

No idea. Right side no longer works, rest is ok. Same thing tends to happen with earphones but I can see how those are easily damaged.

PunkCapitalist wrote:If you were an audiophile it might make a difference, but I don't think throwing money on an expensive equipment is worth otherwise. Maybe look for Bluetooth headphones? In my experience the part which last the least is the cord (I hate cords and cables...).

They seem to be either too expensive or else last too little before needing to be recharged (I have cheap Bluetooth earphones which I only use when running). Do you know of any decent options?

nm462272 wrote:I'm not an audiophile by any stretch, but once you start using headphones in the 150-250 euro range, the difference is quite remarkable. I don't know how to describe it, but it sounds "fuller"... once you go back to the cheap headphones, everything sounds like it's coming through a telephone.

I guess it's one of those thing where you only realise what you're missing when you discover something better.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MaCk0y » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:59 pm

I am happy with the Philips Fidelio X2. Also depends if you want open or closed back headphones for indoor or traveling use. I also bought a Schiit Mangi 2 because I needed more volume.
MaCk0y
Assistant Admin

National Flag:
Papua New Guinea

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:01 pm

MaCk0y wrote:I am happy with the Philips Fidelio X2. Also depends if you want open or closed back headphones for indoor or traveling use. I also bought a Schiit Mangi 2 because I needed more volume.

Mostly indoors. I only carry them if I'm staying away from home for more than 3 days. Otherwise earphones suffice.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:14 am

Apple is issuing a security update after powerful spyware was found targeting an activist's iPhone in the Middle East.
Computer forensics experts said the software takes advantage of three previously undisclosed weaknesses in Apple's mobile operating system, allowing hackers to take complete control of iPhone handsets.
Reports published by the San Francisco-based Lookout and internet watchdog group Citizen Lab outline how the spyware could compromise an iPhone with the tap of a finger.
Apple said in a statement that it had fixed the vulnerability as soon as it heard about it [source]
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:40 pm

WhatsApp wants to share your phone number with Facebook [source]
:-&
ramsej84

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:03 pm

samsung galaxy Note 7 [source]
:shock:
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:19 pm

Acer's Swift 7 is the first laptop thinner than a centimeter [source]

To be honest I don't really see the point of notebooks. They're admittedly ideal for people like me, but you end up paying more to have something smaller and maybe even less powerful.

Still, that is one beautiful laptop.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:27 pm

I am interested in Huawei phone, any suggestions?
Latest models; not a must.
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:42 pm

Why strictly Huawei?

I'm not too familiar with their phones but their Nexus is probably good (like most Google Nexus phones).
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge