You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Electronics

A place where you can chill out with the BayernForum.com community and talk about anything.

Re: Electronics

Postby PunkCapitalist » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:53 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:
PunkCapitalist wrote:
FCBayernMunchen wrote:I have a Moto G2 which I bought because I needed a cheap option when my S4 stopped working last year. For its price, it's great, but after a couple of months it seriously slowed down immensely - not always, but most of the time. It's not something that bothers me usually, but sometimes you need something quickly and it tests my patience.

I have the same phone and experience the same issue. In my experience, erasing the applications' data once every 1-2 months helps a lot. You have to go into settings / apps / click on the desired app and hit clear data.

I have to do that every time I want to download an app. For some reason, if I don't it will say I have insufficient memory (even though I have waaaay more than I need to).

I think it's a problem with my Play account though, as I sometimes experience the same thing on other Android devices.

I think it's just some kind of poor design from Google. I also have to do that occasionally when updating big apps.
PunkCapitalist
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membership

Postby theundead » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:32 pm

Sounds more like an android issue provided that Motorola give out almost stock androids.

I just found out that "Google play services" was draining all of my battery for the past couple of days. Turned off GPS and its already looking better. Weird stuff :D
theundead
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Pakistan

Postby MaCk0y » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:05 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:
PunkCapitalist wrote:
FCBayernMunchen wrote:I have a Moto G2 which I bought because I needed a cheap option when my S4 stopped working last year. For its price, it's great, but after a couple of months it seriously slowed down immensely - not always, but most of the time. It's not something that bothers me usually, but sometimes you need something quickly and it tests my patience.

I have the same phone and experience the same issue. In my experience, erasing the applications' data once every 1-2 months helps a lot. You have to go into settings / apps / click on the desired app and hit clear data.

I have to do that every time I want to download an app. For some reason, if I don't it will say I have insufficient memory (even though I have waaaay more than I need to).

I think it's a problem with my Play account though, as I sometimes experience the same thing on other Android devices.

What is your internal storage space? Because that's were applications and cache are stored by default. You can move some of them to an SD card but not all of them (system ones). Mine is only 1.7GB large out of 28GB internal memory for some reason. Never figured it out how to increase it (or didn't try enough :D ).
MaCk0y
Assistant Admin

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Papua New Guinea
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby PunkCapitalist » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:08 pm

It says 5.51gb total out of which 500mb are available. Never figured out Android weird way to mount partitions. I have moved lots of apps to the SD, but still... Things like Facebook occupy an inordinate amount of space. I'm guessing it caches everything for ever.
PunkCapitalist
I'm a post king!

Postby MaCk0y » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:18 pm

PunkCapitalist wrote:It says 5.51gb total out of which 500mb are available. Never figured out Android weird way to mount partitions. I have moved lots of apps to the SD, but still... Things like Facebook occupy an inordinate amount of space. I'm guessing it caches everything for ever.

Mine is like this. I have 28GB internal memory and a 2GB SD card. 1.7GB out of 28GB is called Internal storage. The remaining 26.5GB is called SD Card and the 2GB SD card is called Phone storage. :lol:
MaCk0y
Assistant Admin

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Papua New Guinea

Postby PunkCapitalist » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:22 pm

MaCk0y wrote:
PunkCapitalist wrote:It says 5.51gb total out of which 500mb are available. Never figured out Android weird way to mount partitions. I have moved lots of apps to the SD, but still... Things like Facebook occupy an inordinate amount of space. I'm guessing it caches everything for ever.

Mine is like this. I have 28GB internal memory and a 2GB SD card. 1.7GB out of 28GB is called Internal storage. The remaining 26.5GB is called SD Card and the 2GB SD card is called Phone storage.

Right! That's why I never understood it. Why they chose to call the internal memory "SD Card" is pretty puzzling. Awful partitioning schemes from Google IMO. I understand that the applications space should be separated from other files for practical upgrade reasons, but the way they set it up leaves too little memory for upgrades and the like. I'm also too lazy to figure out my own partitioning scheme in a phone and already left the ROM phase behind (although I've been tempted to flash Cyanogen on my phone lately).
PunkCapitalist
I'm a post king!

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:50 pm

I have a 16GB SD card and have moved all the possible apps to it. I have around 2GB of free memory on the phone but it still says "insufficient storage" when I try to download a 10MB app. :lol:
We will rise again! (when we stop burying our heads in the sand)
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:01 pm

theundead wrote:Turned off GPS and its already looking better. Weird stuff

This reminds me... how exactly does a phone GPS work? Because when I launch the Google Maps app, even if I have GPS switched on, I can only trace my location and get directions with mobile data switched on.

I'm not sure whether this is because of the way the GPS works or the app itself. If it's the app, is there any way to get around it or any comparable app that can be used offline with GPS on?

I'm asking especially because I've been thinking of getting a smartwatch with built-in GPS but tracking location and directions is the biggest reason why I'm interested. I don't want to end up getting one and being unable to use it unless connected via Bluetooth to a phone with mobile data switched on.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby theundead » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:49 am

I have this setting menu. I guess if you put it to device only, you can navigate without cellular data.

I have my cellular data turned off for good. Needed navigation once while driving, Google maps worked without turning on the data. But it's just the offline maps that come up. It asks for Wifi for location

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
theundead
I'm a chatterbox!

National Flag:
Pakistan

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:59 pm

Android users:

This has been bothering me for a few months, but it's become even worse recently and it's become something that affects me a lot in my currently busier than ever life.

Whenever I try to download any app or update from the Play Store, I get an error saying I do not have enough space. Problem is, I do. I've tried looking it up and people have suggested clearing the cache solves it, but I've done that and it doesn't work. Sometimes if I uninstall 2 or 3 apps it lets me download one more (even though it's much smaller than what I removed), but it never allows me to update anything.

I think the problem is actually in my Google account, because I have the exact same problem on my Samsung tablet (and I have over 3GB of free space on that). The easy solution would be to change account (although I haven't checked whether that works), but I don't want to end up in a situation where I have to buy my apps again only to possibly end up with the same problem in a few weeks/months.

Has anyone else experienced this? At the moment I'm spending a lot of time away from home/my laptop and I'm using my smartphone as my personal assistant more and more often. At this point, I'm seriously considering jumping on the Apple bandwagon. I'd prefer avoiding such an expense if possible though. I only bought my current phone (Moto G 2nd gen) last year as a quick replacement after my S4 broke and it works perfectly fine other than this.

EDIT: I just noticed I posted about this a few months ago. But yeah, now it's much worse.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MaCk0y » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:24 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:Android users:

This has been bothering me for a few months, but it's become even worse recently and it's become something that affects me a lot in my currently busier than ever life.

Whenever I try to download any app or update from the Play Store, I get an error saying I do not have enough space. Problem is, I do. I've tried looking it up and people have suggested clearing the cache solves it, but I've done that and it doesn't work. Sometimes if I uninstall 2 or 3 apps it lets me download one more (even though it's much smaller than what I removed), but it never allows me to update anything.

I think the problem is actually in my Google account, because I have the exact same problem on my Samsung tablet (and I have over 3GB of free space on that). The easy solution would be to change account (although I haven't checked whether that works), but I don't want to end up in a situation where I have to buy my apps again only to possibly end up with the same problem in a few weeks/months.

Has anyone else experienced this? At the moment I'm spending a lot of time away from home/my laptop and I'm using my smartphone as my personal assistant more and more often. At this point, I'm seriously considering jumping on the Apple bandwagon. I'd prefer avoiding such an expense if possible though. I only bought my current phone (Moto G 2nd gen) last year as a quick replacement after my S4 broke and it works perfectly fine other than this.

EDIT: I just noticed I posted about this a few months ago. But yeah, now it's much worse.

Are you using Android 4.4 Kitkat or newer version ?

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp ... ,6720,9151
MaCk0y
Assistant Admin

National Flag:
Papua New Guinea

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:36 pm

I already use a 16GB SD Card. All my photos and videos are stored on it and so are the apps I could move.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby theundead » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:47 pm

Having the same problem on two different devices is very weird. Try logging out on one device. Uninstall updates for the google play store and play services and reinstall the updates. You might have some virus or malware as well that has affected both devices on your wifi network. Try posting in the XDA forums. They are helpful and geeky lads http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-g-2014/help
theundead
I'm a chatterbox!

National Flag:
Pakistan

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:48 pm

Thanks, someone actually asked the same thing yesterday on that forum. I'll keep following it.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:08 pm

I ended up contacting customer service but the solutions offered didn't work. In the end, it's Christmas, so I decided to treat myself and buy myself a new phone. Never thought I'd own an Apple device, but I wasn't left with much choice. Here's hoping for satisfaction! :)

FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge