You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Electronics

A place where you can chill out with the BayernForum.com community and talk about anything.

Re: Electronics

Postby runaway » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:53 pm

Ultrabooks have to reduce bulk.
“If players weren’t human, I’d never lose.” ~El Loco
runaway
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Philippines

Postby BayernLove » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:09 pm

runaway wrote:Ultrabooks have to reduce bulk.

I suppose.
(I'm just going to go elitist mode now and go on to say Desktop is still better in almost every way.
Jesus saves, but Kahn does it better ;)
BayernLove
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Jordan

Postby runaway » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:27 pm

It's been a long time since I owned a personal desktop. Surprisingly my Intel HD Graphics 4000 laptop can play the most recent games even if they have lower quality, so I'm not in any hurry to buy a newer one. If I'm a hardcore PC gamer, I would ask my cousin to build me a gaming CPU too but I don't play a lot of games. I don't like anything with zombies or mages on it. :mrgreen:
runaway
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
Philippines

Postby BayernLove » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:36 pm

runaway wrote:It's been a long time since I owned a personal desktop. Surprisingly my Intel HD Graphics 4000 laptop can play the most recent games even if they have lower quality, so I'm not in any hurry to buy a newer one. If I'm a hardcore PC gamer, I would ask my cousin to build me a gaming CPU too but I don't play a lot of games. I don't like anything with zombies or mages on it. :mrgreen:

Gonna go on a very mini rant here.
WHY THE **** WOULD ANYONE CALL AN ENTIRE COMPUTER A CPU? WHY DOES NOBODY GIVE CREDIT TO THE OTHER PARTS IN A WHOLE OF A COMPUTER? A CPU IS JUST ONE PART! YOU NEVER SEE ANYONE CALLING A COMPUTER "A MOTHERBOARD" OR A "GPU" SO WHY DO WE CALL COMPUTERS , AS A WHOLE, A CENTRAL PROCESSING UNIT? WHY DO WE NEVER GIVE ANY CREDIT TO THE REST OF THE PARTS? THE PSU, THE GPU, THE MOTHERBOARD, THE HDD, THE OPTICAL DRIVE, EVEN THE TRUSTY CASE AND ITS FANS. BUT NOOO IT'S ALWAYS THE GODDAMN CPU. FACK.
Rant over.
BayernLove

National Flag:
Jordan

Postby runaway » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:45 pm

Technically they're called computer case don't they?
runaway
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
Philippines

Postby BayernLove » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:49 pm

runaway wrote:Technically they're called computer case don't they?

A computer is called a (wait for it) computer.
A CPU is a Central Processing unit, and are but a facet on the intricate diamond that is a computer.
BayernLove

National Flag:
Jordan

Postby runaway » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:36 pm

I'm sure the computer technically only includes the processor and memory but those were in circa Blaise Pascal computer. For the general public today, computer pertains to everything including the monitor and other peripherals. CPU is just a common speak that people use to make it easier to understand what part of the computer we're referring to.

Lots of things are wrongly called today. Like Velcro. It's a brand but it's already the general term for that "whatever it's supposed to be called" fastening. :lol:
runaway
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
Philippines

Postby BayernLove » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:43 pm

runaway wrote:I'm sure the computer technically only includes the processor and memory but those were in circa Blaise Pascal computer. For the general public today, computer pertains to everything including the monitor and other peripherals. CPU is just a common speak that people use to make it easier to understand what part of the computer we're referring to.

Lots of things are wrongly called today. Like Velcro. It's a brand but it's already the general term for that "whatever it's supposed to be called" fastening. :lol:

Apples, oranges.

Also, eugghhh buzzfeed.
BayernLove

National Flag:
Jordan

Postby tflags » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:10 pm

BayernLove wrote:Gonna go on a very mini rant here.
WHY THE **** WOULD ANYONE CALL AN ENTIRE COMPUTER A CPU? WHY DOES NOBODY GIVE CREDIT TO THE OTHER PARTS IN A WHOLE OF A COMPUTER? A CPU IS JUST ONE PART! YOU NEVER SEE ANYONE CALLING A COMPUTER "A MOTHERBOARD" OR A "GPU" SO WHY DO WE CALL COMPUTERS , AS A WHOLE, A CENTRAL PROCESSING UNIT? WHY DO WE NEVER GIVE ANY CREDIT TO THE REST OF THE PARTS? THE PSU, THE GPU, THE MOTHERBOARD, THE HDD, THE OPTICAL DRIVE, EVEN THE TRUSTY CASE AND ITS FANS. BUT NOOO IT'S ALWAYS THE GODDAMN CPU. FACK.
Rant over.

I was kinda hoping you hit a wall while doing research for a school paper or something and not just some random question but in any case the reason is simple. Back in the old days (read: AvatarX was younger) a computer did not have a mouse, nor a hard drive, nor a monitor for that matter. Computers were a CPU as you mentioned and random access memory chips (RAM as you probably know.) It was basically Intel coming up with chips that did something better than basic arithmetic calculations and using calculator memories to store the integers necessary for them.

They did have floppies btw, as roll tapes were mainly reserved for mainframes.

It wasn't until companies such as Seagate came up with hard drives (so you wouldn't flip diskette drives all day), ATI with EVGA chips and Creative Labs with sound chips, computers just came standard with a keyboard and really not much else: no extended graphics, no hard drives, no modems, etc.

Problem was not the hardware, but rather the lack of software necesary to run it (drivers, operating system, applications, etc.) Hell, Microsoft was pretty much the world's best selling mouse manufacturer for years but it sales really did not take off until Windows 3.0 came along.

Network adapters and the such were not available on the old days; so basically a computer was nothing more than Intel's chip. The 386 for example, at the time, was such a hit and computers were just marketed as which CPU it had (there was only one pretty much available at any given year for any manufacturer) and the memory it came with.

Hope it helps.
Kimmich
Kimmich - Thiago - Kimmich
Kimmich -- Kimmich
Kimmich -- Hummels -- Boa --Kimmich
Kimmich with Gloves
tflags

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Ecuador
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby BayernLove » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:24 pm

Aha. Makes sense now.

Still stupid to reduce a modern machine down to 1 part.
BayernLove

National Flag:
Jordan

Postby zuki46 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:26 am

BayernLove wrote:
zuki46 wrote:If you can afford an ultrabook (i3 or i5 processor or even i7 if you have deep pockets) definitely go for it but make sure to get one with SSD for maximum battery life and shock proof (speed is a good reason as well) since university is a very "dangerous place" for laptops. Also a good padded backpack, you can never be too careful. Lenovo ideapad 11.6" to 14" is ideal or maybe Asus vivobook. 8GB of RAM is the norm these days but you can get away with 4. I understand that these might be a bit pricey but for what you are going to study is a "starters pack" :wink:
d

Do laptops even have SSDs nowadays? Am I behind the times?

Just check mSATA and M.2 SSD's and you gonna be blown away. It's almost x10 the speed of HDD, not to mention RAID 0 array almost x20 the speed :shock: I'm using it in my MSI GE70 :D . Also size comparison is 1 2.5" HDD = 4 mSATA ssd's.
zuki46
Woah, this feels cool!

National Flag:
Albania

Postby BayernLove » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:08 am

zuki46 wrote:
BayernLove wrote:
zuki46 wrote:If you can afford an ultrabook (i3 or i5 processor or even i7 if you have deep pockets) definitely go for it but make sure to get one with SSD for maximum battery life and shock proof (speed is a good reason as well) since university is a very "dangerous place" for laptops. Also a good padded backpack, you can never be too careful. Lenovo ideapad 11.6" to 14" is ideal or maybe Asus vivobook. 8GB of RAM is the norm these days but you can get away with 4. I understand that these might be a bit pricey but for what you are going to study is a "starters pack" :wink:
d

Do laptops even have SSDs nowadays? Am I behind the times?

Just check mSATA and M.2 SSD's and you gonna be blown away. It's almost x10 the speed of HDD, not to mention RAID 0 array almost x20 the speed :shock: I'm using it in my MSI GE70 :D . Also size comparison is 1 2.5" HDD = 4 mSATA ssd's.

I know what an SSD is you ninny, I'm just a bit shocked they came to laptops already.

Still they're overpriced on $ to MB.
BayernLove

National Flag:
Jordan

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:08 pm

tflags wrote: Back in the old days (read: AvatarX was younger)

:lol: :lol: =D>
We will rise again! (when we stop burying our heads in the sand)
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby zuki46 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:11 am

Do laptops even have SSDs nowadays? Am I behind the times?[/quote]

Just check mSATA and M.2 SSD's and you gonna be blown away. It's almost x10 the speed of HDD, not to mention RAID 0 array almost x20 the speed :shock: I'm using it in my MSI GE70 :D . Also size comparison is 1 2.5" HDD = 4 mSATA ssd's.[/quote]
I know what an SSD is you ninny, I'm just a bit shocked they came to laptops already.

Still they're overpriced on $ to MB.[/quote]

Your first comment suggests that you are uninformed on current laptop specs. Anyway no hard feelings. I did not mean to offend you.
zuki46
Woah, this feels cool!

National Flag:
Albania

Postby MaCk0y » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:39 am

My wireless connection speed. :D

Sent from Neo N003
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MaCk0y
Assistant Admin

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Papua New Guinea

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge