You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Electronics

A place where you can chill out with the BayernForum.com community and talk about anything.

Re: Iphone 5 - versus- Galaxy S III

Postby Bazi » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:54 pm

quaazi wrote:I love having an old outdated basic phone and watching all these fanwank wars from afar.

I can sympathize with you in that point quaazi. Between 2004 and 2010 I used a standard Sony Erikson phone. At the time all I did was text messages and call people so I was quite happy with it.

But it is really amazing what these little smart phones can do nowadays. It's very remarkable when you think about the changes they caused. They basically destroyed the mp3 player market, notably diminished laptop sales (especially the small ones) and overtook a large chunk of the video game market with hand held devices from Sony and Nintendo.

So I can understand the enthusiasm for the newest smart phone generation as well as a certain reluctance towards this media hype. After all. They want as much of our money as possible for the least amount of innovation they can afford to deliver.
Bazi
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby AdepT » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:03 pm

As a :| , I'd say this :
iPhone is great but Samsung GS3 is awesome. Sure it loses points when it comes to body-material. 20 million booked in first 3 months. :)
To reach 30m by the end of 2012

iPhone5 is just starting. Let's see who wins it. I also kinda like Nokia 920 from what I have seen and read.

Spoiler: show
I joined as a Software Engineer at Samsung R&D, India like 2 months back after completing by B.Tech. :D
'To be successful, you have to give everything.' - Bastian Schweinsteiger
AdepT
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
India
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby quaazi » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:17 pm

Bazi wrote:But it is really amazing what these little smart phones can do nowadays. It's very remarkable when you think about the changes they caused. They basically destroyed the mp3 player market, notably diminished laptop sales (especially the small ones) and overtook a large chunk of the video game market with hand held devices from Sony and Nintendo.

But that's the thing! I have an mp3 player that put together with my cellphone is still smaller than a smartphone, I prefer a large laptop anyway because I only use one computer, and I don't play the arcade video games that smartphones offer. I just see no point in those products - they are your classic case of jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none.
The ideal team

--------Müller with gloves--------
-Müller--Müller--Müller--Müller--
-------Müller---------Müller-------
----Müller----Müller----Müller----
---------------Müller---------------
quaazi
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Estonia

Postby AvatarX » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:24 pm

quaazi wrote:
Bazi wrote:But it is really amazing what these little smart phones can do nowadays. It's very remarkable when you think about the changes they caused. They basically destroyed the mp3 player market, notably diminished laptop sales (especially the small ones) and overtook a large chunk of the video game market with hand held devices from Sony and Nintendo.

But that's the thing! I have an mp3 player that put together with my cellphone is still smaller than a smartphone, I prefer a large laptop anyway because I only use one computer, and I don't play the arcade video games that smartphones offer. I just see no point in those products - they are your classic case of jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none.

What? No Angry Birds??????

My 3 y.o. daughter is already addicted with it :D
"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred."
Assistant Admin & World Cup 2014 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Anonymous

Postby AvatarX » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:26 pm

BTW

"The imminent release of the iPhone 5 could add 0.33% to growth of the USA's gross domestic product ... "

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/09/12 ... st_us_gdp/
"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred."

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Anonymous

Postby SouthernStar » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:39 pm

The iPhone is fragile as heck (the Gorilla glass is crap as heck - sleek but breaks so easily). I had used both an Android phone and iPhone and I will say that I way prefer the Android.

Android are cheaper and most of the newer models have better performance (yes even compared to the iPhone 5), more free apps, better camera... the list goes on. The only thing is that there is a wider range of apps for the iOS since developers think there is no market for Android (even though from what I last heard, the Android sales had overtaken Apple's). And to be honest, I don't see much upgrade from the iPhone 5 compared to the 4S.

Err no idea about Windows Phone though, but from what I heard Nokia > Blackberry still for sure :P

I think the most important factor to consider is what your main purpose for getting a particular smartphone and see which one fits your needs better.
SouthernStar
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby OhioFan » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:42 pm

Thanks for the input.
Götterdämmerung
OhioFan
2015/16 Prediction Game Winner

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby tflags » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:22 pm

Nowadays having a phone without the ability to send/check e-mails, text chat and agenda functionality would be a godsend, but hardly practical. GPS and internet lookups have saved my neck more times that I care to remember. Besides, I think I am addicted to that score update app.
Kimmich
Kimmich - Thiago - Kimmich
Kimmich -- Kimmich
Kimmich -- Hummels -- Boa --Kimmich
Kimmich with Gloves
tflags
I live on BayernForum.com

National Flag:
Ecuador

Postby MoFattal » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:24 pm

^ Plus, one cannot log in to bayernforum while away from home with a standard phone :P
MoFattal
2011/12 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Lebanon

Postby Element » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:49 pm

Android can actually fight with NORMAL PC WINDOWS

windows mobile vs android is just like San Marino vs Germany

Only Mobile OS that can keep up with android is IOS and probably Android beats it too in terms of smartphones

For tablets , i think IOS is better than Android
Element

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Jordan

Postby AvatarX » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:36 pm

tflags wrote:Nowadays having a phone without the ability to send/check e-mails, text chat and agenda functionality would be a godsend, but hardly practical. GPS and internet lookups have saved my neck more times that I care to remember. Besides, I think I am addicted to that score update app.

Score update app?

National Flag:
Anonymous

Postby OhioFan » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:43 pm

So, are you saying if I have a Windows based PC, I am going to have a problem "cloud" syncing my Outlook with Iphone5? Or also with a GS3? .

I am replacing an old HTC Windows smartphone and we are getting ready to cloud sync our company calendars and project assignments.
Götterdämmerung
OhioFan

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby tflags » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:52 pm

Yep.
Kimmich
Kimmich - Thiago - Kimmich
Kimmich -- Kimmich
Kimmich -- Hummels -- Boa --Kimmich
Kimmich with Gloves
tflags
I live on BayernForum.com

National Flag:
Ecuador

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:38 pm

SouthernStar wrote:The only thing is that there is a wider range of apps for the iOS since developers think there is no market for Android

True, but like you said Android in turn has more free apps. The more apps for iOS are useless if you're not willing to spend a lot of money.

Also, if you have some knowledge of programming it's easier to make your own app on Android, from what I heard.

Element wrote:For tablets , i think IOS is better than Android

For now, it definitely is. Apple made tablets popular and even though the iPad might not be the best tablet out there, it certainly is the most popular. Android has a lot of catching up to do in terms of tablet optimized apps.

However, I think that this could change in a few years. Android has a much wider choice of hardware and people will start buying more of these in time. The OS already has some advantages over iOS and if the number of customers start increasing, developers are bound to start creating more apps for Android.

I don't think you can really compare Google and Apple though. Apple are in control of everything. This makes it easier or them to make products just the way they want to. If a software update comes out it can be made available on all devices immediately. On the the other hand Google are going in a different direction, which at the moment probably means they earn much less money. They want to do to mobile devices what Microsoft did with PCs, i.e. be the OS of choice on almost every device out there, regardless of manufacturer.
We will rise again! (when we stop burying our heads in the sand)
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby AvatarX » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:26 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:I don't think you can really compare Google and Apple though. Apple are in control of everything. This makes it easier or them to make products just the way they want to. If a software update comes out it can be made available on all devices immediately. On the the other hand Google are going in a different direction, which at the moment probably means they earn much less money. They want to do to mobile devices what Microsoft did with PCs, i.e. be the OS of choice on almost every device out there, regardless of manufacturer.

And we all know who won the "war" between M$ Windows and Apple back in the late 90's, just for the reason you mentioned.
Android OS is available from users who can pay 100 euros to buy a zte or users who can pay 700 euros or more for a S III, while iPhone are phones for the "elite" of users/people who can pay at least 500-600 euros (or more) to buy an iPhone.

National Flag:
Anonymous

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge