You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Visit Malta

A place where you can chill out with the BayernForum.com community and talk about anything.

Re: Visit Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:20 pm

So accurate ;)

It's a shame Malta missed out on a movie likely to be seen by many, but I suspect this remake might flop, so perhaps it's better.
We will rise again! (when we stop burying our heads in the sand)
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby ramsej84 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:10 am

A detailed map of the subterranean tunnels, crypts and foundation waterways which run beneath Valletta’s hustling and bustling streets is being compiled by a team of architect-cum-historians, in the hope of opening parts of the “unknown city” to the public.
Architectural historian Edward Said’s new organisation, Underground Valletta, has for the past year explored some 130 underground spaces in the capital city, ranging from air-raid shelters and five-storey wells, to complex tunnel networks connecting the various palaces and arterial roads. [source]

impressive...
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:14 am

That's great! I've always been intrigued by underground cities

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Bayernbazi » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:08 am

I've visited that place last October during the notte bianca and the size of the part that was open to the public with the large underground halls is incredible.
I had heard from people working for a telecoms company that they used this network of tunnels running underneath Valletta a lot, although the remainder of the network is not that pleasant and dangerous with rats and sometimes running into sewage.
Once I had heard that there was also tunnel crossing under the Grand Harbour connecting the 'New City' to the old stronghold of the Knights in Cottonera.
If one takes into consideration places like the prehistoric Hypogeum, this Kinghts Valletta network and underground grain silos, miles of early Christian underground catacombs around other places and underground places built by the British during WWII and the Cold War (on TV there was a feature about a vast underground flour mill / bakery) and who knows what still lies buried, one just wonders that there is really a second underground Malta!
Bayernbazi
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby ramsej84 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:12 am

Not only because I am patriotic but our islands are amazing ... shame that 75% don't give a damn and are ruining it for us and the future generations ... all in the name of the falsest of gods : MONEY ...
ramsej84

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Bayernbazi » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:56 am

There are also weird stories related to some underground places such as this experience supposedly reported in the National Geographic of August 1940, lived by an employee of the British Embassy. This story can be found on several Internet pages but when I asked my father, who was born in 1945 and raised in the area exactly above, he said that he had never heard anything about this account but when they were young he had heard an old story about a couple of girls who had ventured into a cave in Mellieha and never got out ! I know that in Mellieha there is also a lot of caves (in some of which they've also built houses but never found more info about missing girls)

Tradition holds that before the British government sealed up several tunnels, one could walk from one end of Malta to the other underground. One of these labyrinths, known as the Ħal Saflieni Hypogeum, harboured the bones of over 33,000 people who had been sacrificed by an ancient pagan Neolithic cult. [source]

A house built in a cave in Mellieha - commonly called Ghar u Casa (Cave & House)
Spoiler: show
Bayernbazi
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby ramsej84 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:35 am

I heard a similar legend on hal saflieni... about a group of children who were lost there and their lamentations could still be heard... !!!! :|
Never heard about those in Mellieha ...
And are you aware of the victoria lines on the part of Bingemma - Rabat... I had posted some photos in the photography thread...
People used to live there...

Even in Dingli there is Ghar il-Kbir... it was habitable until the the late 19th century...

and those in Mellieha (the pic you posted) was habitable as well...

During the great siege of 1565 many went there to hide...
Legend says that the ottomans found out and befriended with the Maltese... however as most legends end this ended in tragedy... an Ottoman fell in love with a Maltese girl and sequestered her ... the rest of the guys went after them to free her... but when he saw that he couldn't go far ... he slit her throat...

Some things never change ...
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby German-American » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:49 am

ramsej84 wrote:I heard a similar legend on hal saflieni... about a group of children who were lost there and their lamentations could still be heard... !!!! :|
Never heard about those in Mellieha ...
And are you aware of the victoria lines on the part of Bingemma - Rabat... I had posted some photos in the photography thread...
People used to live there...

Even in Dingli there is Ghar il-Kbir... it was habitable until the the late 19th century...

and those in Mellieha (the pic you posted) was habitable as well...

During the great siege of 1565 many went there to hide...
Legend says that the ottomans found out and befriended with the Maltese... however as most legends end this ended in tragedy... an Ottoman fell in love with a Maltese girl and sequestered her ... the rest of the guys went after them to free her... but when he saw that he couldn't go far ... he slit her throat...

Some things never change ...

Ottoman empire sounds like ISIS right there. ..and ended in ww1...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Bayern for life, I just want to see at least one game...thats all I ask
German-American
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membership

Location: Grew up in Hillsborough,NJ....Lives in Haymarket, Va....attends WVU
National Flag:
United States of America

Postby ramsej84 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:56 am

no not really ISIS... they were a big and respected empire...
They were very wealthy ... and our ancestors and the Knights of St.John were a big pain in the ass for them...
The former used to go out at sea to attack their valuable ships all the time...
Many rich today had ancestors who were pirates in those times...
Then the Emperor decided to end the Knights once and for all...
He did not manage though ... because at that time we were very bold and jealous of our values and Religion... unlike today; we take everything for granted...
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Bayernbazi » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:37 pm

ramsej84 wrote:I heard a similar legend on hal saflieni... about a group of children who were lost there and their lamentations could still be heard... !!!! :|

That article which I posted was about Hal Saflieni and mentions those lost children.

Yes I had heard about these permanent cave communities, how different was life then !
Had read about the 1565 incident last summer when Heritage Malta put up a live day to day online blog commemorating the 450 years since the Great Siege, unfortunately this has been removed still found this . It is not just a legend it is reputed to have really happened as chronicled by the Italian soldier Francisco Balbi di Correggio, who was fighting on the side of the Christians during this siege, however these people seem to have moved to the caves to try hide from the danger.

When the (Turkish) fleet came upon Malta, sixty Maltese, men and
women, of all conditions, having fled from their village, took refuge in a
cavern by the sea, and there they continued to live. Among these women
was a maiden of great beauty. These refugees were discovered by the
Turks who overran the Island. They left them unmolested but they reported
their find to the Sanjaz-Bey, who, as we came to know, went to
the cavern and, enamoured with the maiden, took her apart while the
other Turks conversed with the rest of the Maltese .... (Later), the SanjazBey,
despairing of escape, cut off the maiden's head with one stroke of his
scimitar (Balbi di Correggio 1961: 91-92).
Bayernbazi
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:28 pm

Our caves are beautiful. I haven't been to any in several years. I can recall one in particular which we used to visit a lot when I was a child and it was huge and in some places dangerous (narrow ledges) but I don't know where it is. I'll ask someday.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Bayernbazi » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:49 pm

ramsej84 wrote:no not really ISIS... they were a big and respected empire...
They were very wealthy ... and our ancestors and the Knights of St.John were a big pain in the ass for them...
The former used to go out at sea to attack their valuable ships all the time...
Many rich today had ancestors who were pirates in those times...
Then the Emperor decided to end the Knights once and for all...
He did not manage though ... because at that time we were very bold and jealous of our values and Religion... unlike today; we take everything for granted...

Sometimes business interests were hidden under the pretext of religions. Among the Christian nations there was those who in between a war and another with the same Ottomans, putting aside religious pride and flourish by doing business with the same Ottomans, such as Venice.
Bayernbazi
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby ramsej84 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:00 pm

and France...
they were the only nation who did not joy for our win... or were a bit reluctant to do so...
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Bayernbazi » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:33 pm

ramsej84 wrote:and France...
they were the only nation who did not joy for our win... or were a bit reluctant to do so...

Those French ! This must have been one big jealous bitch contest for the Kinghts' wealth, when considering the large contingent of French nobles being Kinghts of St. John and even the Grandmaster himself during the Great siege being French. This is more weird when considering the complete capitulation without firing a single shot some 233 years later at the feet of Naploleon (who was the result of the Republic that killed that French monarchy) under the only German and last grandmaster !

By the way here is video of the underground Cold War mill which I mentioned earlier. This one is in Mistra, the entrance is on the left hand side after you leave there roundabout near the church and you start going down the road which leads to the side road which takes to Mistra Bay. 35.953219, 14.385291 according to that, there should be another 3 of them.

Also I remember seeing a large ramp leading to an underground tunnel locked by a big gate inside the perimiter of Luqa airfield and someone had told me that this was used as an RAF bomb storage complex, here are the coordinates 35°51'09.4"N 14°28'44.1"E
Last edited by Bayernbazi on Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bayernbazi
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby ramsej84 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:36 pm

This video is unavailable. :evil:
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge