You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

The German keeper for Euro 2008

A place where you can chill out with the BayernForum.com community and talk about anything.

Who would you rather keeps goal for Germany at Euro 2008?

Jens Lehmann
25%
Timo Hildebrand
17%
Robert Enke
No votes
René Adler
8%
Oliver Kahn
50%
Michael Rensing
No votes

Total votes : 12

The German keeper for Euro 2008

Postby MUTU » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:01 am

Lehmann's blunders are out in the open. Germany calls it a crisis. What is your opinion on the issue? Do you think that Loew should keep faith with Lehmann, or do you think he should risk with another keeper who doesn't have experience playing with the German defence?
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby FCBinNYC » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:44 pm

I voted for Kahn even though it would only happen if there were a lot of injuries. Still think he's one of the best though, and Euro would certainly be a blaze of glory to end his career.
FCBinNYC
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby MUTU » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:53 pm

Only problem with Kahn is that he is officially retired from the national team, which would mean that he would have come out of retirement.
MUTU

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby walter » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:02 pm

Kahn is the logical choice: experience, leadership and match fitness. Lehman should be dropped, he should've moved to Dortmund to save his career. Hildebrand is starting to be more of a regular for Valencia but we have to judge him on performances. Rene Adler is my second choice, great talent but young age and lack of experience in big tournaments count against him.
walter
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Venezuela

Postby tracylynn » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:16 am

First of all, Kahn should not even be listed because he's no longer available for the NT. So, why put him on the list? Players who are currently available for the NT should be listed. Even if Kahn was available does that mean he deserves to start? I don't know.

The whole situation with Lehmann is pretty ridiculous. Yes, he had some blunders in this past week's game but he has not played steadily for some time now. Yes, he should've moved to Borussia Dortmund but he didn't. That was his decision and he has to live with it. I find it funny that folks are reacting this way over one game. He was praised for his performance in the WC but this one game people think he needs to go. I wonder if they feel the same about the other players who played with just having limited game experience? Probably not.

All-in-all, I think Germany should stick with Lehmann. Hopefully, he will start getting more practice with Arsenal (he is playing this weekend). Removing him this close to Euros could be a mistake. Of course, it could be a mistake keeping him in there so this really is a 50/50 situation. The advantage that Lehmann has over the other players is that he is familiar with the players on the pitch and they are familiar with him. Removing him now means that there will have to be some adjustments with the new goalie and the players.
Raider (1996-2007) - A very lovable cat that I will miss dearly.
tracylynn
I post all the time

Postby MUTU » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:30 pm

tracylynn wrote:First of all, Kahn should not even be listed because he's no longer available for the NT. So, why put him on the list? Players who are currently available for the NT should be listed. Even if Kahn was available does that mean he deserves to start? I don't know.

Some important people in Germany have started to talk about needing Kahn back. And they did ask Kahn but his answer was something like Lehmann has enough quality for the European Championships. It's not the first time that someone came out of retirement, so I don't see it as such a remote possibility. If anything, I see it more likely to happen than Adler.

tracylynn wrote:The whole situation with Lehmann is pretty ridiculous. Yes, he had some blunders in this past week's game but he has not played steadily for some time now. Yes, he should've moved to Borussia Dortmund but he didn't. That was his decision and he has to live with it. I find it funny that folks are reacting this way over one game. He was praised for his performance in the WC but this one game people think he needs to go. I wonder if they feel the same about the other players who played with just having limited game experience? Probably not.

It's not that he had one bad game. You see, since his appearances are something of a rarity nowadays, we have to judge him on these. If he was playing regularly for Arsenal and playing well, and suddenly he made those errors for Germany, nobody would have made a fuss. But all eyes were on him even before the match started... people wanted to see how he performs, and he disappointed everyone.

If he keeps on playing that way at the European Championships, I fear that Germany might not even make it past the group stage, let alone be the title challengers they are being touted as.

tracylynn wrote:The advantage that Lehmann has over the other players is that he is familiar with the players on the pitch and they are familiar with him. Removing him now means that there will have to be some adjustments with the new goalie and the players.

It's for exactly this reason that I'd like Kahn to come out of retirement. It would be a perfect send-off to one of the greatest keepers ever should he help Germany to win the European Championships.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MaCk0y » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:34 pm

I think the wisest choice would be Kopke :P. Germany always had great goalkeepers like Italy, but it seems that they are now in a difficult situation.
MaCk0y
Assistant Admin

Postby walter » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:26 pm

tracylynn wrote:First of all, Kahn should not even be listed because he's no longer available for the NT. So, why put him on the list? Players who are currently available for the NT should be listed. Even if Kahn was available does that mean he deserves to start? I don't know.

The whole situation with Lehmann is pretty ridiculous. Yes, he had some blunders in this past week's game but he has not played steadily for some time now. Yes, he should've moved to Borussia Dortmund but he didn't. That was his decision and he has to live with it. I find it funny that folks are reacting this way over one game. He was praised for his performance in the WC but this one game people think he needs to go. I wonder if they feel the same about the other players who played with just having limited game experience? Probably not.

All-in-all, I think Germany should stick with Lehmann. Hopefully, he will start getting more practice with Arsenal (he is playing this weekend). Removing him this close to Euros could be a mistake. Of course, it could be a mistake keeping him in there so this really is a 50/50 situation. The advantage that Lehmann has over the other players is that he is familiar with the players on the pitch and they are familiar with him. Removing him now means that there will have to be some adjustments with the new goalie and the players.

First of all, players do come out of retirement and quite often in situations similar to the goalie crisis in Germany. If you want examples in the national team, there is Matthaus who pretty much came out of international retirement for 98 WC when our first choices for libero got injured (Sammer and Thon). Other big names have come out of retirement to help their teams, Hagi for Romania comes to mind. In many cases the National Federations have tried to convince players to come out of retirement and it's because of the players who don't want to do it that you don't see it more often. In Kahn's case I honestly think he would not have a problem coming back, especially since one of the reasons he decided to retire was loosing his place to Lehmann. After all those great years, why would he stay at the national team if he was just going to warm the bench?

Secondly, I don't think you have been following the Lehman situation completely. Do you think he got sent to the bench at Arsenal for nothing? This was not a whimsical decision by Wenger. Lehman did start as the first choice keeper for Arsenal this season but he played horrible and made a series of blunders that cost two games to Arsenal. Now he gets some playing time for the national team and, again, he plays horrible including two horrible blunders that Austria was unlucky not to take advantage of. When I saw him come out of the box in the Austria game I thought he was on crack or crazy pills...making so many blunders in one season to me is an indication that there is something wrong with him and he is not reliable anymore...

He might get a few more games at Arsenal but I seriously doubt he will become first choice again (I hope I'm wrong again), if I'm right about this, then it would be simply STUPID, to bring him to the Euro as our first choice keeper...
walter
I post all the time

National Flag:
Venezuela

Postby tracylynn » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:54 pm

First of all, I know any athlete can come out of retirement but wouldn't it make sense to list the current players who are available to play for the NT instead of listing one who is not available? He's not available so until he says that he wants to come back then he should not even be considered. Coaches pick players who are available for them, not players who are not available. :roll:

Secondly, I know why Lehmann was benched. I may not follow the EPL but I do get a lot of the news from the EPL. Currently, Lehmann is starting due to Alumnia being sick. So, lets see what happens while he is in the box before we say that he has to go. He could impress Wenger and Wenger might just want to keep him as #1. Who knows? Heck, he might impress Loew during his return or he might disappoint him. Who knows?

The point is is that every player makes blunders and that is including Kahn. Not one player is perfect all the time, though some think Kahn is perfect in everything. I like Kahn but I do not put him on a pedestal like so many folks do.

So, my vote for today is with Lehmann but that could change within the next fews days, weeks, or months, but until that time comes my vote is with Lehmann. I think Loew will make the right decision when it comes to the team. I have faith. However, if I would pick any goalie in the world that I would love to see in the box it would be Buffon. Luckily for Italy, they have a defense to help out their weaker goalies. :lol:
tracylynn
I post all the time

Postby MaCk0y » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:58 pm

owever, if I would pick any goalie in the world that I would love to see in the box it would be Buffon.

Well, I would pick Frey
MaCk0y
Assistant Admin

Postby tracylynn » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:25 am

mackoy wrote:
owever, if I would pick any goalie in the world that I would love to see in the box it would be Buffon.

Well, I would pick Frey

Toni's ex-teammate. Interesting choice.
tracylynn
I post all the time

Postby MUTU » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:43 am

Woah, I didn't put Wiese in the list, but he's followed up last Sunday's penalty by Toni with 2 further saves in the UEFA Cup. He's saved 3 out of 3 penalties within 5 days. Awesome!
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Barbarossa » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:19 am

Wiese may be a choice. At least he definitely looks better than any other official candidate right now. However, there is not much time left, therefore it's better not to experiment on that and ask Oliver Kahn to come back for Euro.
May be he is not as great as a few years ago, however, quite convincing and not making blunders.
Barbarossa
Hey, I'm new here!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby MUTU » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:41 pm

Barbarossa wrote:Wiese may be a choice. At least he definitely looks better than any other official candidate right now. However, there is not much time left, therefore it's better not to experiment on that and ask Oliver Kahn to come back for Euro.
May be he is not as great as a few years ago, however, quite convincing and not making blunders.

Welcome to the forum, Barbarossa! :) Experimantation is indeed a problem, but I don't understand why there's only time for one friendly before the Euros. Surely they could have slotted in at least one other friendly, even against some local club team if anything?
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby fanOfBayern » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:57 am

Kahn would be a mistake..He is not going to help the team..
I would say, put trust in Wiese..Mertersacker plays with him so, that might help.
fanOfBayern
I post all the time

Next

Return to The Lounge