You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

the food and drink thread

A place where you can chill out with the BayernForum.com community and talk about anything.

Re: the food and drink thread

Postby JANKER » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:29 pm

When the Israelites were freed from slavery in Egypt, they wandered 40 years in the wilderness. This was seen as a time of purification and preparation for entry into the promised land. Moses went to the mountain of the Lord in the Sinai wilderness and stayed there for 40 days and nights in prayer and fasting. Elijah, after he was fed with bread from heaven, journeyed through the wilderness without any food for 40 days to the mountain of God. Jesus was without any food in the wilderness for 40 days to prepare himself for the mission that the Father had sent him to accomplish.

Jesus was tempted like us
Jesus was no exception to this pattern of testing. He went to the desert without food. Adam and Eve had everything they needed in the Garden of Paradise. But they ate of the forbidden fruit out of disobedience because they trusted in themselves rather than in God. They were cast out of Paradise and driven into the wilderness. Jesus freely enters the wilderness in order to regain Paradise for those who lost it. Jesus refuses food to show his dependence on the bread of heaven, the word of God, that would sustain him not only in his physical hunger, but in his hour of temptation as well.

When Satan tempts Jesus to turn stones into bread, Jesus replies with the words of Scripture, “Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God”.

The Lord responded in this way, for it was his purpose to overcome the devil with humility and not with power. ...the Savior’s very response indicates that it was as man that he was tempted: “Not by bread alone shall man live, but by every word that comes forth from the mouth of God.” So if anyone does not feed upon God’s Word, that one will not live.

God gave you the freedom of choice so he's not a "sadist"... it should be your choice if you want to believe and follow or not.
Last edited by JANKER on Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Football is very simple." - Kaiser Franck
JANKER
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Basque Country

Postby MUTU » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:36 pm

Well, I'm unable to part waters like Moses (even though that would be cool), nor would I like to be nailed to a cross like Jesus. So why should I do a 40 whatever?

Besides, Moses came first and suffered 40 years, once. Then Jesus came some while later, and 40 years of suffering had already become 40 days, again once. That was over 2000 years ago. By now it's 40 nanoseconds of suffering, or less, that you should carry out once in your lifetime.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby MUTU » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:42 pm

MUTU wrote:Well, I'm unable to part waters like Moses (even though that would be cool), nor would I like to be nailed to a cross like Jesus. So why should I do a 40 whatever?

Besides, Moses came first and suffered 40 years, once. Then Jesus came some while later, and 40 years of suffering had already become 40 days, again once. That was over 2000 years ago. By now it's 40 nanoseconds of suffering, or less, that you should carry out once in your lifetime.

Actually...

Moses came circa 1200 years before Jesus and suffered 40 years
After 1200 years, Jesus suffered 40 days, which is 1/365 times less after 1200 years
Let's say some 2010 years happened since. By the same rate of decrease over time we should suffer 0.065 days, or a total of 1.6 hours at a stretch, once in your lifetime.
MUTU

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:43 pm

JANKER wrote:God gave you the freedom of choice so he's not a "sadist"... it should be your choice if you want to believe and follow or not.

Doesn't matter. If God enjoys seeing people suffer, then He IS a sadist. I choose to believe He doesn't want people suffering, hence not a sadist.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby JANKER » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:47 pm

It’s about building a connection between you and God. Between you and your spirit. You are preventing your mind from becoming a slave to your physical body and its desires...

Buddhists fast as well... Fasting is scientifically proved to help in most cases but it shouldn't be forced and I don't think that it counts if it's forced.
JANKER

National Flag:
Basque Country

Postby MUTU » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:51 pm

JANKER wrote:It’s about building a connection between you and God. Between you and your spirit. You are preventing your mind from becoming a slave to your physical body and its desires...

Buddhists fast as well... Fasting is scientifically proved to help in most cases but it shouldn't be forced and I don't think that it counts if it's forced.

If it helps and if you don't want to be a slave etc etc why don't you do it all year round if it's so good to you? Why not spend your whole life in complete misery, and constantly finding means to make your life worse than it is?

And yes, it is forced. I'm sure that the vast majority of people do it because they fear the wrath of the deity that they believe in. Otherwise why follow the days specified by one's religion if you're doing it for yourself? If you're doing it on the days defined by the religion you believe in then it's forced upon you, and as you said then it doesn't count.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:00 pm

MUTU wrote:
MUTU wrote:Well, I'm unable to part waters like Moses (even though that would be cool), nor would I like to be nailed to a cross like Jesus. So why should I do a 40 whatever?

Actually...

Moses came circa 1200 years before Jesus and suffered 40 years
After 1200 years, Jesus suffered 40 days, which is 1/365 times less after 1200 years
Let's say some 2010 years happened since. By the same rate of decrease over time we should suffer 0.065 days, or a total of 1.6 hours at a stretch, once in your lifetime.

Best use of mathematics I have ever seen. :lol:
We will rise again! (when we stop burying our heads in the sand)
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:03 pm

MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby JANKER » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:17 pm

One day of fasting can help... read an article about that a couple of months ago.

MUTU wrote:Doesn't matter. If God enjoys seeing people suffer, then He IS a sadist. I choose to believe He doesn't want people suffering, hence not a sadist.

God after intervening a couple of times in the past said that he won't intervene "anymore" as he knows that people are prone to evil... because he's been let down every time by the people he had chosen, repeating the same mistakes.
He gave people free will...
JANKER

National Flag:
Basque Country

Postby MUTU » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:23 pm

JANKER wrote:He gave people free will...

Don't start the BS about free will because it's not true.

Let's take an example. Imagine God had first created men with wings and people could fly around. But then he didn't want to allow them to fly anymore. So he took off their wings and now they're limited.

Humans are limited by the capabilities of their own body. That's not free will. I can't fly around. I can't run 2,000km/h. I can't shout at 5 million decibels. The only way that God had to stop me from doing it is by limiting my body, and my body is limited, so I don't have complete free will.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby JANKER » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:32 pm

You're bashing him and he created you... that's free will.
JANKER

National Flag:
Basque Country

Postby MUTU » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:33 pm

JANKER wrote:You're bashing him and he created you... that's free will.

I'm not bashing him. I'm bashing the theories about him made by men. I love God, but I don't like many theories about him.

For example, I can't slap him in the face if I wanted to (and no, I don't want to). That's not free will.
MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:34 pm

Peace be upon you [-o<
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby BayernLove » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:38 pm

How has a food and drink thread gone to a complex theological argument?
Jesus saves, but Kahn does it better ;)
BayernLove
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Jordan

Postby JANKER » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:46 pm

MUTU wrote:
JANKER wrote:You're bashing him and he created you... that's free will.

I'm not bashing him. I'm bashing the theories about him made by men. I love God, but I don't like many theories about him.

For example, I can't slap him in the face if I wanted to (and no, I don't want to). That's not free will.

It’s about building a connection between you and God. Between you and your spirit. You are preventing your mind from becoming a slave to your physical body and its desires...

This answers your question about fasting that started this argument, God doesn't need your fasting, you need it... God can be jealous, selfish and etc like a human being and there are verses about his jealousy, selfishness but he's not a sadist...
JANKER

National Flag:
Basque Country

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge