You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

the food and drink thread

A place where you can chill out with the BayernForum.com community and talk about anything.

Re: the food and drink thread

Postby ramsej84 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:40 pm

Dumbledore7 wrote:Great timing for this thread because I just cooked this yesterday. Always a dream of mine to own a restaurant, even though I missed the boat to culinary school because most of the time Asians are expected to walk the conventional education path. Once I hopefully earn enough money for my own place I'd like to serve Asian-European fusion food such as these.

Coconut rice coloured yellow with turmeric. By the side is a condiment of chili paste made of peanuts, dried slated fish and chili (known as "sambal"). On top is a curried lamb steak topped with shallots which I crispy fried. The green is the French element of pea purée as a cooling agent in a very spicy dish.

Apart from the green, everything else is very much a big part of Indonesian cuisine.

wow you seem to have the touch =D> good luck
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:24 pm

The frittata of yest I could not insert it in the pre post
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ramsej84

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Dumbledore7 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:27 pm

Is that vermicelli in the frittata?
Dumbledore7
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Indonesia
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member

Postby ramsej84 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:35 pm

Dumbledore7 wrote:Is that vermicelli in the frittata?

I think that is the word yes... sorry it is not me who cook :)
Cooking is something which I really like to learn...
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:35 pm

Dumbledore7 wrote:Is that vermicelli in the frittata?

You know my knowledge of the kitchen is horrible when I thought of Timmy Vermicelli. :lol:
We will rise again! (when we stop burying our heads in the sand)
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby #12 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:02 pm

Let's see what I can offer... Anyone ever wonder about a particular German dish? I also have quite a few great Italian and Thai recipes... (btw: any Koreans here? I'm dying to find a recipe, but it's not easy to come by... :P )
Thanks for nothing, :pep: !!
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby ramsej84 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:42 pm

In Munich I ate duck which was cooked so much different than how we cook it here.
Schnizel or what you call it...
Beaides bavaria I visited the black forest... And I liked the food of the latter better....
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Dumbledore7 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:48 pm

#12 wrote:Let's see what I can offer... Anyone ever wonder about a particular German dish?

In Germany (maybe Bayern in particular), what would mom cook if dad's boss or important business partner visits your home as a dinner guest? I feel like the well-known dishes like Schnitzel, Sauerkraut, Wurst and the many ways you cook Kartoffeln don't do the representation of the cuisine justice because surely there's much more to it ethnically.

Also I think beef bulgogi is the easiest, most well-known recipe to look up and make if you want to whip up something Korean.
Dumbledore7
I post all the time

National Flag:
Indonesia

Postby #12 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:19 pm

ramsej84 wrote:In Munich I ate duck which was cooked so much different than how we cook it here.

There's many ways to do it... Traditionally it is cooked as a whole in the oven... Or was it just the breast?

ramsej84 wrote:Schnizel or what you call it...

Schnitzel is actually pretty easy... The traditional Vienna Schnitzel is made from veal... But I actually prefer pork...
You just take a nice cut that you like (we like to use pork neck), salt and pepper to your liking, then you flip it in a scrambled (but uncooked!) egg and afterwars in breadcrumbs... And then you bake it in clarified butter... If you like the crust to be soft: my mum usually pours some water in the pan (not tooo much though) after the crust has gained a nice colour and then finishes them off in the oven... Actually makes them more juicay IMHO as well...

Dumbledore7 wrote:In Germany (maybe Bayern in particular), what would mom cook if dad's boss or important business partner visits your home as a dinner guest? I feel like the well-known dishes like Schnitzel, Sauerkraut, Wurst and the many ways you cook Kartoffeln don't do the representation of the cuisine justice because surely there's much more to it ethnically.

Probably... Also: I like Sauerkraut, but there's tons of Germans who hate it... And I actually prefer it with Kasseler, which is some kind of smoked meat...
As for the cooking... Beef rolls/roulades are not exactly "haute cuisine", but that's what used to be a typical sunday dish at my mom's...
You take slices of beef topside/leg and spread mustard on it. then you fill it with pieces of bacon, pickles and onions and roll it up, then you tie it up and sear it... Then pour in some water to make up the sauce later on... It goes best with ribbon noodles, dumplings or "Spätzle" and a side of mixed salad or "Rotkraut" some sort of red cabbage, somehow similar to Sauerkraut...

Dumbledore7 wrote:Also I think beef bulgogi is the easiest, most well-known recipe to look up and make if you want to whip up something Korean.

I'm actually looking for a dish called "daegu-duck" (or something like it)... there used to be a Koren place nearby and it was heaven... Just that it closed down a few years ago - and now I'm sad... :P :D

Years of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby PunkCapitalist » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:19 pm

I love Sauerkraut. Once made some myself, the preparation was pretty disgusting, but the thing itself was actually fairly good.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
PunkCapitalist
I'm a post king!

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:27 pm

One of the tastiest foreign foods (treats) I've tried is the Dutch Oliebollen. It's a pastry traditionally eaten around the New Year. Some Dutch friends had cooked some for us. I'd like to get the chance to try them out in the Netherlands some day. Unfortunately, I've only visited in summer so far.
We will rise again! (when we stop burying our heads in the sand)
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby ramsej84 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:49 pm

#12 wrote:
ramsej84 wrote:In Munich I ate duck which was cooked so much different than how we cook it here.

There's many ways to do it... Traditionally it is cooked as a whole in the oven... Or was it just the breast?

ramsej84 wrote:Schnizel or what you call it...

Schnitzel is actually pretty easy... The traditional Vienna Schnitzel is made from veal... But I actually prefer pork...
You just take a nice cut that you like (we like to use pork neck), salt and pepper to your liking, then you flip it in a scrambled (but uncooked!) egg and afterwars in breadcrumbs... And then you bake it in clarified butter... If you like the crust to be soft: my mum usually pours some water in the pan (not tooo much though) after the crust has gained a nice colour and then finishes them off in the oven... Actually makes them more juicay IMHO as well...

Dumbledore7 wrote:In Germany (maybe Bayern in particular), what would mom cook if dad's boss or important business partner visits your home as a dinner guest? I feel like the well-known dishes like Schnitzel, Sauerkraut, Wurst and the many ways you cook Kartoffeln don't do the representation of the cuisine justice because surely there's much more to it ethnically.

Probably... Also: I like Sauerkraut, but there's tons of Germans who hate it... And I actually prefer it with Kasseler, which is some kind of smoked meat...
As for the cooking... Beef rolls/roulades are not exactly "haute cuisine", but that's what used to be a typical sunday dish at my mom's...
You take slices of beef topside/leg and spread mustard on it. then you fill it with pieces of bacon, pickles and onions and roll it up, then you tie it up and sear it... Then pour in some water to make up the sauce later on... It goes best with ribbon noodles, dumplings or "Spätzle" and a side of mixed salad or "Rotkraut" some sort of red cabbage, somehow similar to Sauerkraut...

Dumbledore7 wrote:Also I think beef bulgogi is the easiest, most well-known recipe to look up and make if you want to whip up something Korean.

I'm actually looking for a dish called "daegu-duck" (or something like it)... there used to be a Koren place nearby and it was heaven... Just that it closed down a few years ago - and now I'm sad... :P :D

yes in Malta we do it as well (schnitzel) we use mainly veal
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Dumbledore7 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:36 am

#12 wrote:As for the cooking... Beef rolls/roulades are not exactly "haute cuisine", but that's what used to be a typical sunday dish at my mom's...

Thanks for that, definitely gonna try and make a roulade and some homemade Spätzle soon. I love Spätzle but it's damn difficult to find in stores where I am and they're gonna be a mess to make.

Looks like Daegu is just a name of a place in Korea, a so they could just make any Korean duck dish and give it that name. On another note, try and look up "gochujang" in your local Asian store if there's one. It's a traditional Korean chili paste also consisting of fermented soy and rice. Every Korean household would have that as a staple and if you're dying for Korean, you could marinade any kind of meat in that or reduce it to make a sauce and it tastes absolutely amazing.
Dumbledore7
I post all the time

National Flag:
Indonesia

Postby ramsej84 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:19 pm

Just eat Schnitzel Maltese style :)
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby #12 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:55 pm

Dumbledore7 wrote:Thanks for that, definitely gonna try and make a roulade and some homemade Spätzle soon. I love Spätzle but it's damn difficult to find in stores where I am and they're gonna be a mess to make.

Looks like Daegu is just a name of a place in Korea, a so they could just make any Korean duck dish and give it that name. On another note, try and look up "gochujang" in your local Asian store if there's one. It's a traditional Korean chili paste also consisting of fermented soy and rice. Every Korean household would have that as a staple and if you're dying for Korean, you could marinade any kind of meat in that or reduce it to make a sauce and it tastes absolutely amazing.

It's actually not THAT hard... If you have a press or a Spätzle grater...
You know Kässpätzle, don't you?

Thanks for the tip! Definitely gonna try that...

Years of membership

National Flag:
Germany

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge