You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

The BF learn-a-new-language thread

A place where you can chill out with the BayernForum.com community and talk about anything.

Re: The BF learn-a-new-language thread

Postby PunkCapitalist » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:19 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:"Arjurant" is unnecessary but I accept that one because it's a common phenomenon in many languages that a slight variation in a word becomes so common that it forms a new word with the exact same meaning. In fact, arjurant wasn't coined deliberately according to the article.

EDIT: something that it brings to mind which I think might interest you, the word "ilma" (water) comes from a similar but slightly different phenomenon. The original word is in fact "ma" from Arabic (not sure what the exact word is in Arabic - Arabic-speaking users might help - but Google gives it as ma'an). The "il" prefix is the article "the" so it was "il-ma" (the water) until eventually the article became part of the actual word. So when we say "l-ilma" (the water) today, it's actually a double "the". The word we still use for hot water (misħun) still has traces of this history, as it's the result of a phonemic change over time from "masħun" or "ma sħun".

Sounds like a difficult language. Weird that you have a single word for "hot water".

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
PunkCapitalist
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membership

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:55 pm

It depends. Maltese isn't spoken by many people, so it's sort of a secret codes for us that comes in very handy when abroad. :lol: We like to believe it's difficult to discourage foreigners from learning our code. In reality it's hard for a local to know that, and you'd need to ask someone who attempted to learn the language. Personally I know an Austrian woman who speaks perfect Maltese, but on the other hand there many foreigners who have moved to Malta and don't speak a word of Maltese. However, that could be because English is also an official language of the country, so they can take the lazy route and stick to English since almost everyone can communicate with them in that language.

From a linguistic viewpoint, I don't think it's hard theoretically. The grammar is less complicated than many European languages - for example, we have only one article, "the" - but it derives mostly from Arabic. However, it's also much simpler than Arabic as far as I know. The thing for English speakers is that we make use of A LOT of prefixes and suffixes in verbs, so we can condense a lot of meaning into just one word. For example, the equivalent of "insajjarielhom" in English would be "I cook it for them".

The vocabulary is a bit more of a challenge perhaps, because our colonial history has given us many different sources. Most words come from romance languages, especially Italian, but most of the most common words come from semitic languages. English is the third major source and the biggest one today.
We will rise again! (when we stop burying our heads in the sand)
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby ramsej84 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:32 pm

wow I was never aware of the il-ma! Even if I studied maltese at a level and hade a subj on linguistics.
As for the difficulty I don t think it is diff to learn to speak or understand.
The trickiest part is the ortography and pronunciation.
I still find some words difficult to write:oops:
I ve learned that in a univ in Bremen there are a number of German students whom are studying our language.
Their Prof (who is a semitic guru) happened to be in Malta bought a book and decided to start learning it. He succeeded in no time and since he fell in love with it started this class.
Obviously semitic speakers won't find many obstacles to learn it.
Lebanese, Tunisians and Hebrew speakers are the most likely to learn it quicker.
And I know some Italians / sicilians who speak it as well
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:10 pm

You're right, spelling is probably the hardest part. I know very few people who have perfect spelling and even I only reached that level at A-level (age 16-18). I don't think I've written anything in Maltese since, as English is my reading, writing and thinking language (although I am Maltese-speaking), so I've probably regressed now.

Pronunciation is not that hard I think. We have a few silent letters but there's little variation, unlike in English.

One of my lecturers had mentioned that there are German universities which offer Maltese courses. I don't know whether she was referring to the one in Bremen or whether there are more. I think there might be an increase in interest in Maltese over the coming years as it is Europe's link to the Arab world and it's written in Roman script.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ottackon » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:31 pm

ottackon
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Morocco

Postby ramsej84 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:30 pm

Zibel
(zebra,ink,bell,elephant,Lamp)
Literallly means rubbish...
Apart for rubbish we use it for someone who has a very bad attitude or who is arrogant etc
ramsej84

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ottackon » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:22 pm

It's an arabic word that I use pretty often :mrgreen:
ottackon
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
Morocco

Postby ramsej84 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:58 pm

Zibel?? Do You use it in both circumstances?
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ottackon » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:27 pm

Yep!
Don't forget that Malta has a strong arab heritage, this is what make your island so special with all the other influences from the normans, the british, the romans, and so forth.
ottackon
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
Morocco

Postby ramsej84 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:55 am

yes I know ... :wink: So we took it from the arab language... !!!
I am amazed - so even offensive words mean the same! for a female we say (invented another word) Zibla (used only to offend a female with an attitude or one who acts like a bitch instead of zibel ... and by the way a lady that likes to you know what... to tastes different men we can call her
debba (she horse) cause a she horse runs ... and that type of lady '' runs '' :lol:
We say '' dik (she) debba ...ghax tigri ma' dak u l-iehor...
She is a she horse cause she goes with a lot of different men !
tigri or tiggerra (runs)

Sorry for maybe confusing you
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby DRvad14 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:39 am

pyrasur wrote:Thought this was more common, but "salt" or "being salty" is English slang for being bitter about something. Maybe from the salt in someone's tears.

Fun fact: Where I live, describing someone as "salty" can also mean that person has a ton of experience, or is super old. Comes from salt accumulation from the sea. Those kinds of people are too salty to know the new definition of salty. :wink: So it can also be a compliment if used in the right context.

Salt Money
In olden time of Rome, the warriors serving the empire were payed with a handful of salt each day. Later, the officers in charge of distributing salt started finding the transport and preservation (from rain etc.) of the huge bulk inefficient, hence, the reward of salt was replaced by a sum of money allowing each man to buy his own. The money thus received was referred to as their 'salarium' (Latin) or salt-money. The term salarium entered into English which modified to modern day salary.
DRvad14
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membership

National Flag:
India

Postby JANKER » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:48 am

Here, "salt" is also used something like "don't salt my mind/brain" which means "don't get smart with me"... :lol:
And "salt" means experience too... someone who has been through a lot in life.
Sweat is salty so... I guess that it has to do something with experience and that expression cause you have to sweat to experience some stuff on your own skin.
Sweat is another word that can be used as an expression for working hard and honestly to get something, "earned it with my own sweat".

Someone who is used to salty tastes, someone who cannot be surprised by anything... able to take a lot of salt cause he already ate a sea of salt before that and is used to it. It can mean that... which also equals experience.
Salt is used for preservation of food so... there's that quality too.

Salty can mean expensive too... Too many idioms with salt.
"Football is very simple." - Kaiser Franck
JANKER

Years of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Basque Country

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:56 pm

Not insult related this time. :P

I was wondering whether any of the Germans here or perhaps preferably those who have learned German as a second/third language know of any free/affordable resources for getting a proper grasp of German. They don't have to be digital, I'm perfectly willing to use books. However, it's unlikely I'll have time to attend actual lessons.

I'd like to learn German properly this year. I have a decent knowledge of vocabulary (because that is easy to pick up through the many online resources) but absolutely no knowledge of anything else (I've forgotten the little I knew). I don't know how to put together the words I know to give them meaning and am probably unable to do anything more than the very basic of conversations using memorised phrases.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby DRvad14 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:30 am

lickety split: fast or quickly, apparently arose in the 1830s and 1840s when someone wanted wanted things fast in hospitals later was replaced by stat.
also has another vulgar slang meaning .
DRvad14
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membership

National Flag:
India

Postby FCB general » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:50 am

JANKER wrote:Salty can mean expensive too...

"Cijena je paprena!" :)

Or when someone is so damn fast that you can't beat it and that "you only can put him some salt on his tail". I remember there was a story or song in the 1st grade in Croatian class when we were asking ourselves how the hell is that possible when it's impossible. :lol:

Then there are those famous "I have spilled so much sweat for something (to achieve or create)..." or in the same context/purpose with the other words "I have pissed blood for this/that...", etc. It's been used predominantly in situations with high tensions when one person is ungrateful or disrespectful, doesn't appreciate someone's hard work, sacrifice, love, care and many other positive human qualities thereby making the other person very angry and nervous.

@JANKER, check this out in spoiler: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Spoiler: show

Many of these Herzegovinian phrases and words on: [url]https://www.facebook.com/erogag/[/url]

I'm really enjoying in those pages such as The Daily dose of an average Croat or Serb or redneck, Montenegrin wise quotes, Bosnian head, etc. :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Ein Trainer sehen, was passieren in Platz. In diese Spiel es waren zwei, drei oder vier Spieler, die waren schwach wie eine Flasche leer!"
FCB general
I live on BayernForum.com

National Flag:
Caribbean Community

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge