You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

The BF learn-a-new-language thread

A place where you can chill out with the BayernForum.com community and talk about anything.

Re: The BF learn-a-new-language thread

Postby MUTU » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:19 am

FCB general wrote:
MUTU wrote:The number is 234567. In English you say two hundred and thirty four thousand, five hundred and sixty seven. In Maltese (literally translated) you say two hundred four and thirty thousand, five hundred seven and sixty.

:o :o :o 204 30000 567(siebenundsechzig) - the bold part is the only thing I see familiar. :)

And I thought only Germans have that sort of right to left number thing, but that's light years easier than Maltese.. :lol:

OK, maybe I wrote it in a way that's not understandable due to lack of punctuation. Germans have it EXACTLY like the Maltese. Let me write it again in Maltese with more punctuation:

two hundred, four and thirty thousand, five hundred, seven and sixty.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby ramsej84 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:27 am

I believe in Arabic the days are the same, we didn't adapt anything. However, interestingly Il-Ħadd (Sunday) comes from waħad (Arabic for one) as far as I know, while in Maltese it is the word for "no one", which does have Christian connotations of no work on Sundays.

But Hadd is considered the first day of the week. Christians use that cause it was the day of Resurrection. On the other hand Friday is the Holy day for Muslims. So we might have changed something in the process of naming the days... I d K :-k

Shabbat - Hebrew for us is-Sibt .... is the seventh day of the week so I thing I was wrong in my previous post.

Hadd - first day of the week. So since for Muslims Sunday is a normal day of the week and it is the first day of the week they named it (L-ewwel) (Hadd)

I believe I am confusing you and myself :P
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCB general » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:35 am

MUTU wrote:OK, maybe I wrote it in a way that's not understandable due to lack of punctuation. Germans have it EXACTLY like the Maltese. Let me write it again in Maltese with more punctuation:

two hundred, four and thirty thousand, five hundred, seven and sixty.

Then it's a piece of cake, too. Zweihundertvierunddreißigtausendfünfhundertsiebenundsechzig - eeeeeeeee macarena! 8) :lol:
Auf geht's ihr Roten!
FCB general
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Red Cross

Postby ramsej84 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:42 am

listen to the numbers in Maltese

this is f/king interesting ... listen from 11-19.............. we just used the ash to form tlettax, sittax etc
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCB general » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:45 am

I don't know how does it go in Italian, French, Catalan, Valencian and Romanian with days(but I guess it's the same like in Spanish), but I was surprised how many differences are between Spanish and Portuguese names.

Spanish days in week: lunes, martes, miércoles, jueves, viernes, sábado, domingo.

Portuguese days in week: segunda-feira, terça-feira, quarta-feira, quinta-feira, sexta-feira, sábado, domingo.

Just notice the Monday in Portuguese, the thing with segunda and not primeira. :? It means that the first day of the week in Portugal and Brazil is Sunday or what :?:

Now I found something about that on Duolingo where I met all this stuff with days.

A few months ago, I was wondering about why we don't have “primeira-feira”. So, I found something similar to this:

In the Roman Empire age, days of the week were named in reference to Roman pagan gods:

Solis dies - dia do Sol (sunday - domingo)

Lunae dies – dia da Lua (monday - segunda-feira)

Martis dies – dia de Marte (tuesday - terça-feira)

Mercurii dies – dia de Mercúrio (wednesday - quarta-feira)

Iovis dies – dia de Júpiter (thursday - quinta-feira)

Veneris dies – dia de Vênus (friday - sexta-feira)

Saturni dies – dia de Saturno (saturday - sábado)

Yet, at the Holy Week, celebrated by Catholics, the days of the weeks received other names because people thought that it didn’t make sense call them by pagan terms in such sacred Christian time. It’s called “Latim litúrgico - Liturgical Latin” Which is where we get this “feira” from the days of the week, it’s come from “feria”, that means “dia de descanso - rest day” in Latin. Who established these special names was Martinho de Dume, Bishop of the city of Braga, Portugal, in the 15th Century after Christ. So, the days were called:

Prima feria (sunday - domingo)

Secunda feria (monday - segunda-feira)

Tertia feria (tuesday - terça-feira)

Quarta feria (wednesday - quarta-feira)

Quinta feria (thursday - quinta-feira)

Sexta feria (friday - sexta-feira)

Septima feria (saturday - sábado)

All days were “feria”, of resting, because were Holy Week period. Then, there was primeira-feira, but it received the name of “Dominus Dei”, or “dia do Senhor - day of the Lord” (in tribute to Christ resurrection), which is where “domingo” comes from. “Sábado” comes from “shabbat”, rest day of Jews.

Now, look. If “feria” in Latin is “dia de descanso - rest day”, makes sense that we have “férias” for holidays (maybe came from holyday)/vacation. And the funny thing is that “feira” of our week are the days we work and study.
Auf geht's ihr Roten!
FCB general

National Flag:
Red Cross

Postby PunkCapitalist » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:24 pm

MUTU wrote:
PunkCapitalist wrote:
ramsej84 wrote:I speak my native language but I count and say the numbers in English...
99% of us Maltese do the same...

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
Wut? So Maltese has its own numeric system (I'm guessing it's complicated somehow like French), but people from Malta use the English pronunciation of numbers? Weird.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
Because the Maltese numeric system comes from the Arabic which use right-to-left. Let me literally translate a number for you so you can understand how irritating it is to use Maltese for numbers.

The number is 234567. In English you say two hundred and thirty four thousand, five hundred and sixty seven. In Maltese (literally translated) you say two hundred four and thirty thousand, five hundred seven and sixty.

Kinda like German then?

Zweihundertvierunddreißig tausend fünfhundertsiebenundsechzig?

Doesn't sound that bad.
Hahahaha

(Damn German is hard. Is that number even right?)

PunkCapitalist

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:33 pm

MUTU wrote:That's true, in German it's broken in the same way. I hate that you can't read a number from left to right but you have to, sometimes, skip a digit and then go back to it.

I don't mind it when speaking or reading out a number, but when translating (and therefore typing on a keyboard) if I see 24 in the English text whenever I think "erbgħa u għoxrin" I almost always write 42 before correcting it. I get momentarily confused when writing since we write key-by-key but when speaking I understand immediately most of the time.
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby PunkCapitalist » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:34 pm

FCB general wrote:I don't know how does it go in Italian, French, Catalan, Valencian and Romanian with days(but I guess it's the same like in Spanish), but I was surprised how many differences are between Spanish and Portuguese names.

Spanish days in week: lunes, martes, miércoles, jueves, viernes, sábado, domingo.

Portuguese days in week: segunda-feira, terça-feira, quarta-feira, quinta-feira, sexta-feira, sábado, domingo.

Just notice the Monday in Portuguese, the thing with segunda and not primeira. :? It means that the first day of the week in Portugal and Brazil is Sunday or what :?:

Now I found something about that on Duolingo where I met all this stuff with days.

A few months ago, I was wondering about why we don't have “primeira-feira”. So, I found something similar to this:

In the Roman Empire age, days of the week were named in reference to Roman pagan gods:

Solis dies - dia do Sol (sunday - domingo)

Lunae dies – dia da Lua (monday - segunda-feira)

Martis dies – dia de Marte (tuesday - terça-feira)

Mercurii dies – dia de Mercúrio (wednesday - quarta-feira)

Iovis dies – dia de Júpiter (thursday - quinta-feira)

Veneris dies – dia de Vênus (friday - sexta-feira)

Saturni dies – dia de Saturno (saturday - sábado)

Yet, at the Holy Week, celebrated by Catholics, the days of the weeks received other names because people thought that it didn’t make sense call them by pagan terms in such sacred Christian time. It’s called “Latim litúrgico - Liturgical Latin” Which is where we get this “feira” from the days of the week, it’s come from “feria”, that means “dia de descanso - rest day” in Latin. Who established these special names was Martinho de Dume, Bishop of the city of Braga, Portugal, in the 15th Century after Christ. So, the days were called:

Prima feria (sunday - domingo)

Secunda feria (monday - segunda-feira)

Tertia feria (tuesday - terça-feira)

Quarta feria (wednesday - quarta-feira)

Quinta feria (thursday - quinta-feira)

Sexta feria (friday - sexta-feira)

Septima feria (saturday - sábado)

All days were “feria”, of resting, because were Holy Week period. Then, there was primeira-feira, but it received the name of “Dominus Dei”, or “dia do Senhor - day of the Lord” (in tribute to Christ resurrection), which is where “domingo” comes from. “Sábado” comes from “shabbat”, rest day of Jews.

Now, look. If “feria” in Latin is “dia de descanso - rest day”, makes sense that we have “férias” for holidays (maybe came from holyday)/vacation. And the funny thing is that “feira” of our week are the days we work and study.
Yes, I think Sunday is the first day of the week in Spanish too. But Monday feels like the real first day of the week because you don't work on Sundays and, confusingly, Sunday is part of the weekend. Now I'm confused

PunkCapitalist

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:35 pm

ramsej84 wrote:I believe in Arabic the days are the same, we didn't adapt anything. However, interestingly Il-Ħadd (Sunday) comes from waħad (Arabic for one) as far as I know, while in Maltese it is the word for "no one", which does have Christian connotations of no work on Sundays.

But Hadd is considered the first day of the week. Christians use that cause it was the day of Resurrection. On the other hand Friday is the Holy day for Muslims. So we might have changed something in the process of naming the days... I d K :-k

Shabbat - Hebrew for us is-Sibt .... is the seventh day of the week so I thing I was wrong in my previous post.

Hadd - first day of the week. So since for Muslims Sunday is a normal day of the week and it is the first day of the week they named it (L-ewwel) (Hadd)

I believe I am confusing you and myself :P

Yeah I know what you meant, but unless I'm mistaken (and I googled out of curiosity and while I'm not sure, the pronunciations seem to match what I'm saying) they're the same in Arabic. So their similar word to It-Tnejn is Monday, etc.

Would be good if one of our Arabic speakers could shed light.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCB general » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:25 pm

PunkCapitalist wrote:Yes, I think Sunday is the first day of the week in Spanish too. But Monday feels like the real first day of the week because you don't work on Sundays and, confusingly, Sunday is part of the weekend. Now I'm confused

Hahaha, no wonder. Damned be that day when I started the Portuguese Duolingo course 3-4 years ago. :lol: It screwed my whole life conception about the first day of the week and weekend days. :roll: :mrgreen:
In Croatia(n), nedjelja/Sunday is the 7th day of the week and ponedjeljak/Monday is the first one.
Auf geht's ihr Roten!
FCB general

National Flag:
Red Cross

Postby Hardrade » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:35 am

Sunday (Nedelja) means non-divisible and monday (ponedeljak) literally means coming after sunday. Wednesday (sreda) apparently means in the middle, Thursday (četvrtak) has four (četiri) in its root and friday (petak) has five (pet). Only tuesday (utorak) and saturday (subota) have seemingly unclear etymology.
Cría cuervos, y te sacarán los ojos
Hardrade
I'm a chatterbox!

Years of membership

National Flag:
Serbia and Montenegro

Postby ramsej84 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:41 am

Hardrade wrote:Sunday (Nedelja) means non-divisible and monday (ponedeljak) literally means coming after sunday. Wednesday (sreda) apparently means in the middle, Thursday (četvrtak) has four (četiri) in its root and friday (petak) has five (pet). Only tuesday (utorak) and saturday (subota) have seemingly unclear etymology.
Saturday... Sabbath in Hebrew
Sabato
Samstag
Samedi
Is-Sibt (cause Maltese always include the article)
Spanish? Sabado

ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:03 pm

This evening I had a Spanish couple and I concluded that am able to understand quite a lot from what they were saying.

Unbelievable... never studied Spanish and still managed...

On the other hand I studied German for 2.5 years and if I listen to someone conversing I would only understand like 30%!

ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:02 pm

I understand Spanish almost as much as I understand Italian. I studied the latter for 5 years, the other one never. That said my Italian is not too good. I am unable to have a conversation other than the very basics, and I take a while to understand when listening. Reading I can understood most things though.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCB general » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:10 pm

ramsej84 wrote:This evening I had a Spanish couple and I concluded that am able to understand quite a lot from what they were saying.

Unbelievable... never studied Spanish and still managed...

On the other hand I studied German for 2.5 years and if I listen to someone conversing I would only understand like 30%!

I told you that you can because of similarities and you know Italian. You'd very quickly learn Spanish, much faster than me. :wink: The same would go with French, Catalan, Brazilian Portuguese.

I never studied Slovenian, Bulgarian and Macedonian, but I can understand something what they say. Slovakian isn't very far, too.
Polish sounds terrible for me, so difficult. Czech, Russian and Ukrainian seem easier.
Auf geht's ihr Roten!
FCB general

National Flag:
Red Cross

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge