You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

The BF learn-a-new-language thread

A place where you can chill out with the BayernForum.com community and talk about anything.

Re: The BF learn-a-new-language thread

Postby ramsej84 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:02 pm

Learning Latin might sound boring, but the centuries-old language could actually be part of the solution to Malta’s literacy problem. And being a bilingual nation, children will probably grasp it without much difficulty [source]
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:52 pm

I think this is one of the most idiotic ideas I've heard with regard to education.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby Hardrade » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:59 pm

Many languages from the ottoman/byzantine sphere of influence have adopted words bre and more with certain variations when it comes to usage and meaning.

In serbian, you can safely use 'bre' almost anywhere in the sentence as an intensifier or to show passion about something, as long as the situation is informal. In a strictly formal setting it may be percieved as a sign of poor vocabulary, unserious or aggressive, all depending on the context. It is quite ingrained in everyday language so people mostly use it reflexively without putting much thought behind it.

For example:

1) Ronaldo je peder.
2) Ronaldo je bre jedna pederčina.

Both statements imply that Cristiano prefers the company of boys, yet the second sentence is more determinated and passionate in that aspect.

Or:
1) Neću
2) Neću bre

Both of these literaly mean I don't want (to). While the first is neutral, the second one betrays inner agitation, determination or precedes agression, all depending on tone/context. All things considered, a quite useful intensifier it is, similar to english hell/heck/damn, but more versatile.
Cría cuervos, y te sacarán los ojos
Hardrade
Yeah, now I'm talking!

National Flag:
Serbia and Montenegro

Postby ramsej84 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:12 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:I think this is one of the most idiotic ideas I've heard with regard to education.

tbh I was like :crazy: but since I am not an educator I refrained from giving an opinion!
However having said that I remember my German teacher telling us that Latin helps German students !
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCB general » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:11 pm

ramsej84 wrote:
Learning Latin might sound boring, but the centuries-old language could actually be part of the solution to Malta’s literacy problem. And being a bilingual nation, children will probably grasp it without much difficulty [source]

Too bad the language is dead. It would have been a universal language of the EU and a must know for everyone around the word.

Hardrade wrote:'bre'

Something like "bolan" in Herzegovina, but not to use way too much, then it doesn't sound good. :D

The late Stjepan Spajić known as Rođo who was the famous president of Croatian club Hrvatski Dragovoljac, also Croat from Herzegovina, he used "rođo" in terms of everything. :lol: A car could be "rođo", all sort of tools and items "rođo", basically "rođo" everywhere.

His famous statement about carrying scissors if some peder approaches to him, hahahah. :lol:
Cada loco con su tema.
FCB general
I live on BayernForum.com

National Flag:
Red Cross

Postby MaCk0y » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:13 pm

I took Latin after school hours at secondary school because they offered it to us but then dropped it after failing exams. Difficult.
MaCk0y
Assistant Admin

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:28 pm

ramsej84 wrote:
FCBayernMunchen wrote:I think this is one of the most idiotic ideas I've heard with regard to education.

tbh I was like :crazy: but since I am not an educator I refrained from giving an opinion!
However having said that I remember my German teacher telling us that Latin helps German students !

It's true that Latin helps in a lot of languages, but:
- The etymology of words is only of interest to linguists (mostly) and a few others like you. I know very few people who actually use etymology to figure out the meaning of a word, and I'm surrounded by linguists.
- The things they mention, such as critical thinking, are proven to be the case for any additional language anyone learns.
- It won't help literacy. If children aren't bothered to learn to read and write proper Maltese and English, they sure as hell won't bother with Latin.
- The way it is being proposed is silly. They just want to teach them a few words, which is basically something you can do in just a few minutes when you're a bit older. Vocabulary is the easiest thing to learn.

I am a heavy supporter of adding a foreign langauge around year 4 or year 5 in primary schools. Research suggests languages are easier to learn before age 11 or so. Making that language Latin is useless because it's a dead language only useful for academia. I don't know any Latin myself, other than a couple of word stems, but I know Italian and French and some Spanish. It's enough to get the Latin element behind other languages. So let's introduce Italian or Spanish instead, it'll give them the same benefits in other subjects.

@Mack0y: I once had the opportunity to do so as well but chose introductory German instead. :)
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:29 pm

Hardrade wrote:Both of these literaly mean I don't want (to). While the first is neutral, the second one betrays inner agitation, determination or precedes agression, all depending on tone/context. All things considered, a quite useful intensifier it is, similar to english hell/heck/damn, but more versatile.

It sounds most similar to the F-word, which, linguistically speaking, is one of (probably THE) the most versatile English words.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MaCk0y » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:38 pm

They didn't teach German at my school :(
MaCk0y
Assistant Admin

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:40 pm

You're older than me so I suppose you mostly had just Italian and French? I don't think German was introduced much before I started and Spanish only 1 or 2 years before.

I wish I had taken German as an actual subject instead of just a small introduction though. Way more useful than Italian, which is also much easier to pick up on your own.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby IsiahRashad » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:39 pm

Last year in England,when i was talking with my polish friends i (and they) used the word Kurwa basically like 3 times in each sentence. Its just a Polish habit, but its like imaging you sayin "Motherf*cking" 2-3 times each sentence in english.
When you're talking with polish people its not like this is meaning anything bad. Even if im talking to a polish chick and i say kurwa in a sentence all the time it is understoof that im not talking about her or anyone, just a fact of life. :D
But still,you can use the word to say to someone : prostitute,whore,etc..
The meaning is often interlaced with Dziwka which is basically a slut/whore or Suka which actually means "Bi*ch" Although no one uses those 2 words in sentences habitually like Kurwa.

IsiahRashad
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Bulgaria

Postby Hardrade » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:09 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:
Hardrade wrote:Both of these literaly mean I don't want (to). While the first is neutral, the second one betrays inner agitation, determination or precedes agression, all depending on tone/context. All things considered, a quite useful intensifier it is, similar to english hell/heck/damn, but more versatile.

It sounds most similar to the F-word, which, linguistically speaking, is one of (probably THE) the most versatile English words.

In principle yes, but is not considered rude in any sense, just strictly informal.
Cría cuervos, y te sacarán los ojos
Hardrade
Yeah, now I'm talking!

National Flag:
Serbia and Montenegro

Postby FCB general » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:40 pm

IsiahRashad wrote:When you're talking with polish people its not like this is meaning anything bad. Even if im talking to a polish chick and i say kurwa in a sentence all the time it is understoof that im not talking about her or anyone, just a fact of life. :D
But still,you can use the word to say to someone : prostitute,whore,etc..
The meaning is often interlaced with Dziwka which is basically a slut/whore or Suka which actually means "Bi*ch" Although no one uses those 2 words in sentences habitually like Kurwa.

Jebiga! :lol: Kurva je kurva, nema diskusije. Tako i tako je život kurva isto! :mrgreen:
Cada loco con su tema.
FCB general

National Flag:
Red Cross

Postby FCB general » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:00 pm

We have our word for football. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) The funny thing that the thing with "fudbal" doesn't worth for basketball and handball. :D Other people also use "košarka" and "rukomet"

edit: Slovenians whoa re not on the picture also use "nogomet". :)
Cada loco con su tema.
FCB general

National Flag:
Red Cross

Postby JANCKER » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:08 pm

Italians: Calcio

We had Latin in High School for two years... puella est discipula.
.........................................Image.........................................
JANCKER

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Basque Country

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge