You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Money rules the Football World

A place where you can chill out with the BayernForum.com community and talk about anything.

Money rules the Football World

Postby sch0ll7 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:41 am

I have some time at work and I cant sleep so I decided to write about a game called Football and its clubs.

I came with all sorts of information in last couple of weeks and I cant help my self wondering what future brings to top European clubs. So I will try to put some of all that thinking into this post.

First I would like to compare some of the top clubs and how new financial rules will influence their future.
So i chose few clubs that are right there at the top and are our fierce rivals in top European flight called Champions League.

Those clubs are: FC Bayern, AC Milan, Manchester United

I will use some information from various sources that I believe are accurate. Comparasation will be based on Revenue [Gate receipts, Broadcasting, Commercial] and Expenses.

Revenue

Gate Receipts

Broadcasting

Commercial

FC Bayern Munchen

We all know that our club is led by people that bleed for this club and that they take care of the financial aspect of the club like it was their own child.

As you can see our Revenue for the season 2008/2009 was €289.5 mil.

It was even higher by few millions 1 year before but because of the economic crisis our sponsors were not so generous to us as in previous year. This will definitely improve in this financial year after we signed some new sponsorship deals and improved our existing ones.

This is the 17th successive year that Bayern Munchen have produced a profit, which is a notable achievement. It looks to me as if we have a deliberate strategy of operating at a profit, but budget to use all available funds on strengthening the squad.

We can see that gate receipts [€60,6 mil] are lower than at other clubs like Arsenal, Man Utd, Real Madrid, Chelsea. It is not so much because of the number of fans at the stadium or because other Leagues have more home games as it is because of the ticket prices.
Average ticket price for BL game is around 15-20 € while in England fans pay an average of 40-50 € per ticket. For instance Chelsea [Stanford Bridge] has much lower capacity than Allianz Arena but they earn more than us.

About broadcasting we must admit that BL cant cope with EPL TV deals and Big Spanish duo individual deals that excel more than 150 mil € per season.
But Bayern still received a total of £59.3 million broadcasting revenue, as we have done very nicely out of the Champions League. In 2008/09, we received €34.6 million (£29.5 million), the second highest of all teams, despite being knocked-out at the quarter-final stage, as we secured the biggest slice of the TV pool with €21.5m.

But when it comes to Commercial revenue than we can be really proud of our board and their skills.
As you can see Bayern earned more than likes of Barcelona and mighty Real Madrid that were always counted as best in that aspect.
But hey we showed them :)
It is with some justification that club Chairman, Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, commented, “In terms of sponsorship, FC Bayern remains one of the world’s most successful clubs.”

As we can see a bright future lies ahead with new sponsorship deals and new BL TV deal improving after 2012/2013 season which will give us even more money.
There is no way that we will have any problems regarding new financial rules.
But let`s see what lies ahead for other top clubs...

AC Milan

Long gone are the days when the notorious owner Silvio Berlusconi, whose day job just happens to be the Prime Minister of Italy, injected bundles of cash into the club.

We can see that their Revenue for 2008/2009 season was €196.5 mil which is almost €100 mil less than we made.
But let's look at the parts of that revenue...

They generate €28.2 mil from their home matches which is one of the lowest from list of top clubs.
Problem is that they don`t own their stadium San Siro and they are actually paying rent. And a big chunk of cake is lost due to the stadium infrastructure. They don`t generate as much money as they could from VIP boxes, Lounges and Corporate seats which generates for us at least 30-40% of the Matchday revenue.

One thing they are "better" than us is their TV Deal which gives them around €99 mil [remember they played in UEFA Cup that season] and even more the years before and probably more this financial year. They had a individual TV deal which gave them at least €100 mil per year for selling their broadcasting rights for Serie-A till 2010/2011 season. But now after they introduced collective TV deals in Serie-A they will probably earn less, but not by much as they will still get a lot more than we get from BL TV deal.

But their the real "power" is shown through their Commercial revenue.
They earn €64.1 mil which is almost 3x less than we do. So that shows their lack of innovation and vision. For such a big club it is really a shame they can`t generate a little more from "selling" their name.

Hard times are coming to Milano and they probably wont be able to cope with the pressure.

The main culprit is the hefty wage bill of €172 million, which is the second highest in Italy behind Inter’s €205 million

Even with all these challenges, the revenue of €208 million [little bigger than above because of some other things included] would not be too bad, if it were not for the inconvenient fact that costs are almost 50% higher at €292 million, leaving a vast deficit of €84 million.
Old players with high wages and no money/revenue to compensate for that.

As we can see wages are €172 mil compared to our €139 mil. But the difference is they Revenue to Wages ratio is 83% while ours is less than 50%.

And there is also debt that not many people knew about:

All in all...

I don`t see any nice way out of all those problems for them. I am 80% sure they won`t be our main contenders in near future.
There are just so many problems for them at the moment that they can be happy if they manage to stay in CL in next couple of seasons.

MANCHESTER UNITED

Before the men from Florida arrived, Manchester United was a thriving business, free of debt, with plenty of cash to invest, but the Glazers have effectively mortgaged the club to the hilt. They paid £250 million themselves, but borrowed the remaining £540 million from banks and hedge funds.
And the problems started.

Despite these financial concerns, United have managed to maintain their success on the pitch, winning the Premier League three times and the Champions League once in the last five years. However, there are now signs that all is not right with the team, as United “only” finished runners-up in last season’s Premier League, while they were eliminated in the quarter-finals of the Champions League by eventual losing finalists Bayern Munich. A pretty good performance by most teams standards, but not quite the levels that United fans have come to expect.

Ok so let's look at their Revenue [€327 mil]

Their Gate receipts are showing that a club philosophy is totally different than ours.
They are not as much fans oriented as BL clubs as we can see by how much money they take from their loyal fans on match days.

€127.7 mil ....Yes you are not dreaming, no need to wake up :)

Someone needs to pay for the debt for Glazers takeover.

They tend to sell most of their home matches or at least pack it close to Old Trafford`s capacity.
If our board tried to pull something like that I am sure the fans would not be OK with this and would start some kind of revolution :)

Broadcasting is fairly distributed between EPL clubs. Something similar to Bundesliga.
But they made a deal with SKY that is worth close to 4 times more than BL deal with SKY. And it will only rise this season by staggering 30% because of the overseas rights.
That is something Bundesliga chiefs need to work on.
Of course, United’s media revenue is still far below the Spanish giants, Real Madrid and Barcelona, as they are allowed to negotiate individual television deals, so earn around a third more

Right now, the fastest growing source of revenue comes from commercial sponsors, rising by a notable 17% €82.2 mil in 2010.
Manchester United have signed up many new commercial partners, including the likes of Betfair, Thomas Cook and Turkish Airlines, which has produced a 50% growth in revenue from partners other than Nike and Aon. This is an example of the enduring power of the United brand globally and the club’s ability to attract new partners, despite the negative headlines arising from the Glazers’ ownership.

So let's look at the wages and how they cope with it.

On the costs side, the wages growth continues apace, rising 7% to £132 mil, as the increase in salaries was partially offset by a reduction in performance bonuses. In other words, if the club had matched the previous season’s successes, the wage bill would have been even higher.
But we must know that their Wages to Turnover percentage is not that high with 46% which is quite solid.

But why do they keep their wages so "low" to turnover?
It is because they must pay their debt interests with all the extra money they generate and you can see that huge debt and interest they need to pay.

Not only is this an incredibly high amount of debt, but it is also unproductive debt for the club. In contrast to United, clubs like Chelsea and Manchester City have used their debt to fund the purchase of better players, while Arsenal used theirs to build a new stadium. United’s debt was only used to enable the Glazers to buy the company.

Speaking of which, United are also confident that they will meet UEFA’s Financial Fair Play regulations, as most of their current losses are either once-off or are in reasonable range.

But the main problem for them in the future is that I and 99% of United fans can`t see how on Earth will they afford new players and their wages if they have so much of debt and pay around €50-60 mil per year just for debt interests.

I guess as long as they have Sir Alex Ferguson on the bench they will manage to have a solid team and fight for top spots in EPL and try to go as far as possible in CL.
After he leaves/retires I don`t see how will they manage or who will manage to keep all those problems at distance and perform on the pitch.
Let's wait and see what happens to them.

Wow...that took some time :)

I wanted to include even more clubs into this post but I did not think this will take so much time.

But if you find this interesting I can include some other clubs into the mix, just for to see the real picture of what is going on and what future brings.
Starin` at the world through my rearview
sch0ll7
Moderator & EURO 2012 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Location: "I'm a Bayern Munich player and I've no intention of joining that club. I'm fine thanks."
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Re: Money rules the Football World

Postby Aequitas1987 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:10 pm

Another fantastic finance post by Scholl7.

I was wondering if you could attempt to be the 'pretend Nostradamus' and predict which upcoming clubs that are Financially Solid can replace the likes of Chelsea/City/Liverpool/Milan/Inter??(Think financial fair play will affect them as well).

I know for a fact that a second club from Germany will definitely step up and replace one of the Milan's in the next 5 years. I am thinking Dortmund (Once again like the late 90's) or Wolfsburg. But I don't know about the other leagues...

Like in EPL. How is Tottenham's financial situation? Are they as good as Arsenal's? Because if they are I see those two becoming very solid in European Football over the next 5 years. I really don't see any other club capable of competing with the big dogs, I really liked Martin O Neill's Aston Villa but they just don't have the financial backing to compete in CL or the brand value/fan following. I think the only thing holding Tottenham back is probably their brand value...since they are not such a global brand as the other clubs.

In Spain...because of the individual TV rights, it has really really destroyed the rest of the league. All the other teams are not big enough or rich enough to compete in Europe maybe with the exception of Athletico Madrid. Valencia/Villarreal? I don't think they can.

Yeah, I was wondering if you could name 1-2 teams in each league that because of their Financial Security you can see going up the ranks and competing regularly in European Football. Also how will Madrid and Barcelona do after Financial Fair Play? From what I know they are in more trouble than Chelsea / City...aren't they?
SoStronk.com
Aequitas1987
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
India

Postby The Spyware » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:18 pm

Thanks for this topic
Awesome Data really
The Spyware
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Egypt

Postby sch0ll7 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:59 pm

tnx guys...

I intended to write about more clubs and their situation and what can we expect in the future...when I have time I will write some more about the upcoming clubs and who could be real contentor in the future
sch0ll7

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Location: "I'm a Bayern Munich player and I've no intention of joining that club. I'm fine thanks."

Postby Element » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:03 pm

This post is too long , and i am not in mood of reading numbers

so i will read it later when i am more relaxed (or when my brother gives me the sofa so i can lie down :D )

sch0ll7 wrote:contentor

:lol: :lol:
Element

National Flag:
Jordan

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:20 pm

sch0ll7 wrote:upcoming clubs and who could be real contentor in the future

This is what I'm mostly interested in.

Don't get me wrong, your post was brilliant, but most of us already knew that a lot of top clubs will be going down in a few years. I am interested who the new top clubs might be.
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby sch0ll7 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:22 pm

Element wrote:This post is too long , and i am not in mood of reading numbers

so i will read it later when i am more relaxed (or when my brother gives me the sofa so i can lie down :D )

sch0ll7 wrote:contentor

:lol: :lol:

diego contentor :)...my bad
sch0ll7

Postby sch0ll7 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:25 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:
sch0ll7 wrote:upcoming clubs and who could be real contentor in the future

This is what I'm mostly interested in.

Don't get me wrong, your post was brilliant, but most of us already knew that a lot of top clubs will be going down in a few years. I am interested who the new top clubs might be.

I will probably write about that...and try to make some accurate predictions from a financial point of view.
sch0ll7

Postby uzi716 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:07 am

Bayern Munich has a chance to capitalize on the American market in my opinion. Soccer is becoming really popular here and a lot of the soccer fans aren't really committed to one specific team, it would be wise for our board to start investing in growing a fan base over here. That is a huge moneymaker to have even a small piece of the American market.

EPL teams like ManU make a ton of money over here, during the summer they send their B squad over to play exhibitions against American teams and often these games sell out quickly. ManU is by far the most popular among Euro teams. If Bayern Munich did that eventually they can make a lot of money. Also, the EPL has a deal with ESPN that broadcasts a few games on the weekend, that makes a lot of money for them too. The EPL is the only league that is capitalizing on growing the American market in their favor.

There is a lot of potential for money over here.
uzi716
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Element » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:49 pm

uzi716 wrote:Bayern Munich has a chance to capitalize on the American market in my opinion. Soccer is becoming really popular here and a lot of the soccer fans aren't really committed to one specific team, it would be wise for our board to start investing in growing a fan base over here. That is a huge moneymaker to have even a small piece of the American market.

EPL teams like ManU make a ton of money over here, during the summer they send their B squad over to play exhibitions against American teams and often these games sell out quickly. ManU is by far the most popular among Euro teams. If Bayern Munich did that eventually they can make a lot of money. Also, the EPL has a deal with ESPN that broadcasts a few games on the weekend, that makes a lot of money for them too. The EPL is the only league that is capitalizing on growing the American market in their favor.

There is a lot of potential for money over here.

The Best way to achieve that is to make our Summer Camp There

and also to sign An American Shootingstar
Element

National Flag:
Jordan

Postby sch0ll7 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:24 pm

That is really hard to do...

English teams like Man Utd have a huge advantage because of their english speaking colonies like Australia, United States etc...

Bayern will never be as popular in America or Australia as Man Utd or other English clubs.

It is better to invest in Asian market because most people in Asia see Football as their number 1 sport and their economies and sport infrastructure are getting stronger every year.
sch0ll7

Postby uzi716 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:23 pm

sch0ll7 wrote:That is really hard to do...

English teams like Man Utd have a huge advantage because of their english speaking colonies like Australia, United States etc...

Bayern will never be as popular in America or Australia as Man Utd or other English clubs.

It is better to invest in Asian market because most people in Asia see Football as their number 1 sport and their economies and sport infrastructure are getting stronger every year.

Well I have to disagree, soccer is already widely popular and established in Australia but it is still fair game here in the US. Here soccer is 4th or 5th on the list of popular sports so it is still fair game. ManU is the only team actually taking the initiative to try to capitalize on it but there is still more than enough opportunities for us.
uzi716
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby sch0ll7 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:07 pm

The biggest income from other continents is TV money. EPL are doing a great job in that aspect but not just because of United States but mostly because of Asia.
They get a lot of money for selling overseas broadcasting rights.

BL will surely get much more from overseas TV money in their improved deal in the future.

Other things like selling clubs kits and other things is not much profitable for clubs.

Barcelona have a lot of fans around the world...but that really does not bring them more profits than we get. We earn more than they in that aspect.

You really dont profit anything if some kid in China or in Brazil [it doesnt really matter from which country] just likes your club and does not buy any original club shirts or anything that is sold by official shop.

But you gain a lot if in China or India there are people that like watching you on Television because that means that TV stations in China or India will have a lot of viewers and that means a lot of money from commercials during the broadcast of the match. So that means they will pay much more money for broadcasting because they see money in it for them self.

But like I said...Bundesliga is one of most attractive leagues in Europe and will surely get at least 40-50% increased TV deal in the future [when this one expires] so the money will be there.

But remember this...But not in any way will be more popular than EPL or Spanish La Liga. why ?
Because there are a lot more people connected to England [Australia, United States and other countries that main language is English or were English colonies] and Spain [whole South America and Central America]. You can bet that at least 80-90% of people from those countries will choose some Spanish club as their favorite and not some German team.

But we are still one of the strongest clubs in making money from fan base because we have a strong fan base in German speaking areas like Switzerland, Austria and Germany of course. Every 10th football fan in Austria is supporter of FC Bayern and that is mostly because they find some similarities to FC Bayern and probably because it is the nearest top club to Switzerland and Austria...All other top Bundesliga clubs are located on North or west side of Germany.

So it is really not hard for them to go to Munchen and visit games and spend some time in official club shops.
I have like 3 hours of driving to Munchen and I am from Slovenia...From Switzerland [Basel, Zurich and other big cities] and Austria [Linz, Salzburg and some other Cities have less than 2 hours of driving so it really is not big of a problem for them.
sch0ll7

Postby uzi716 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:47 pm

Obviously a kid in say China or Brazil wont buy merchandise but the difference is Americans have more money and will buy Bayern Munich gear and merchandise if they are fans of the team. If Bayern Munich created a strong fanbase here then the fans will more than likely go out and buy merchandise that gives the club money. And what is the harm of running a summer training camp over here or even some youth training camp? It makes the team known around here and is the firs step in creating a fanbase. If it doesn't work then they can cut it off, no big deal.

Also, the Bundesliga can make a lot of money here on TV. Right now the EPL dominates all the Euro soccer shown on TV, occasionally some Serie A games are shown and rarely are La Liga games shown. But Ligue 1 and Bundesliga games are almost non-existent, in order to watch these games you have to special order them which costs a lot of money. I hope the BL changes that in their next TV deal to get more games shown over here.
uzi716
I post all the time

Postby Aequitas1987 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:28 pm

Also, the Bundesliga can make a lot of money here on TV. Right now the EPL dominates all the Euro soccer shown on TV, occasionally some Serie A games are shown and rarely are La Liga games shown. But Ligue 1 and Bundesliga games are almost non-existent, in order to watch these games you have to special order them which costs a lot of money. I hope the BL changes that in their next TV deal to get more games shown over here.

I get to see every Bayern Munich game. GolTV / Setanta shows every Bayern Munich game but not any other BL games.
SoStronk.com
Aequitas1987
I post all the time

National Flag:
India

Next

Return to The Lounge