You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Money rules the Football World

A place where you can chill out with the BayernForum.com community and talk about anything.

Re: Money rules the Football World

Postby uzi716 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:26 am

Aequitas1987 wrote:
Also, the Bundesliga can make a lot of money here on TV. Right now the EPL dominates all the Euro soccer shown on TV, occasionally some Serie A games are shown and rarely are La Liga games shown. But Ligue 1 and Bundesliga games are almost non-existent, in order to watch these games you have to special order them which costs a lot of money. I hope the BL changes that in their next TV deal to get more games shown over here.

I get to see every Bayern Munich game. GolTV / Setanta shows every Bayern Munich game but not any other BL games.

where do you live? And I was talking about the ones that are available nationally like ESPN and Fox Soccer Channel
uzi716
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Aequitas1987 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:32 pm

I live in manhattan, NYC. Bayern munich is the only team that is shown consistently on Gol TV (Repeats) and Setanta.
SoStronk.com
Aequitas1987
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
India
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby sch0ll7 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:19 pm

Dont know about americans buying much football kits and merchandise.

When someone buys a football kit he is buying it because he intends to wear while playing football with his friends etc...
But how many people in your neighborhood plays football?

Look...I would love for Bayern to have like 1.000.000 fans in America but I believe that is just impossible because even if some person watches football on TV he is probably watching it just because there is no American Football or Baseball, Basketball etc... on TV at that time.

It is like I am watching NBA broadcast at 1am in the morning just because I cant sleep and because there is no football on TV.
But I wont buy any Dwayne Wade or Lebron James t-shirt because I rather spend that money on buying new seasons Bayern kit :)
Starin` at the world through my rearview
sch0ll7
Moderator & EURO 2012 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Location: "I'm a Bayern Munich player and I've no intention of joining that club. I'm fine thanks."

Postby sch0ll7 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:42 am

Ok so I am again at work and don`t have anything better to do and it is really the only time I can get into writing about this :)

As some of the users were wondering about "future top clubs" I did a little research and will try to predict what the future holds.

I will be writing about Borussia Dortmund, Tottenham and Juventus. I chose those clubs because I think they are on the rise in their Domestic Leagues and could be right at the top of the European Football in next few years.

I will compare those clubs with clubs in their own league and how can they get close to or overtake them in the near future.

BORUSSIA DORTMUND

Although the club’s 2009 annual report boasted, “BVB is back”, it is still too early to say whether Borussia Dortmund have enough strength in depth to maintain their challenge for the Bundesliga. What we can declare with more confidence is that this team still has a long way to go to emulate the glory days of their legendary counterparts from the golden era of the mid-90s. But they are on their way up and we will be looking closely at their progress in the future.

They had their problems but it looks like they are getting on their feet and not looking back to those dark times.
The club’s difficulties first became apparent in 2002, when poor financial management resulted in an unmanageable debt load that meant the club had to sell its famous Westfalenstadion to a real estate trust. All the funds raised from their flotation on the German stock exchange in 2000 (the first and only listing of a German football club) had effectively been repaid.

Worse was to come in 2005 after the club spent heavily on expensive signings and high wages in the pursuit of further European glory.
Borussia gambled on competing regularly in the Champions League to fund their spending. Although they managed to avoid relegation, the club’s record losses and massive debts put them in a huge danger.

in 2006 the club took out a 15-year loan of €79 million and laying the foundations for the long-term stabilisation of the club. They used €57 million to buy back the remaining 51% of the shares in their stadium and reducing the high rental expenses and giving them more room to manoeuvre. The remaining €22 million was used to reduce and refinance existing debts.

Two years later they managed to repay some of the debt to the banks few years before the deadline with money received from their new sponsorship deal.

Look at their turnover over the last few years:

As we can see they did great after that dark season in 2005. They managed to keep the hold of their funds and were spending in their means.

You can also see that they are below us and 3 other Bundesliga clubs. But that is mostly because they were not competing in Champions League while others were there in recent years.
What is immediately apparent is the very low income from match day and television (with no Champions League boost), though the commercial revenue is surprisingly high – more than teams like Arsenal, Lyon, Juventus and Inter.

When you look at Borussia’s low TV revenue of €22 million in 2009, which is by far the lowest in the top 20, it gives you some idea of the financial challenges they still face. Clearly, this would be much higher if they reached the Champions League (Wolfsburg received €26 million just from CL last season)

All in all they are surely going UP and I believe they will be doing very well in the future.

From just looking at their performances on the pitch I can say that they will qualify for next years Champions League and that means huge boost to their finances.

I believe that they could receive at least €30 million from Champions League football given that they have huge stadium and could receive at least €3-4 million [because of highest prices for CL matches and no Season tickets] from 1 sold out CL home game. So that is at least €9 million just from 3 CL home games. And if they manage to qualify to knock out stages this figure could increase.

They would also receive at least €15 million from Champions League TV rights. Not to mention additional income from commercial deals.
And after few years there will also receive huge boost from Domestic TV Rights as the new deal will probably be at least 40-50% higher than the current one.

I believe that quite few Bundesliga top teams have bright future in front of them and could challenge to replace some European top guns like Roma, Milan, Valencia, Atletico Madrid.
Bundesliga clubs like Borussia, Wolfsburg, Hamburg, Schalke will probably overtake some of those clubs in the future. After Bundesliga receives 4 CL spots that means those clubs will fight with everything they have to qualify for Champions League as they know that money is waiting for them.

I see Borussia [and other top BL clubs] as future serious contenders in CL and with that also huge contenders to us for the Bundesliga title. That only means that Bundesliga will get stronger and stronger.

TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR

After many years of disappointment, Tottenham Hotspur are coming back this season, threatening to break the stranglehold of the so-called Big Four and qualified for the Champions League.

Their Revenue for 2008/2009 season was €133 million which is very similar to some Bundesliga clubs.

But healthy profits are being made: £18.4m in the 2009 annual accounts, £27.5m in 2008 and £29.7m in 2007.

Which is very uncommon for Premier League clubs although they did make a profit because of some players like Berbatov and Keane leaving them. But at the end of the day profit is a profit.
After those star players left them didn`t cry about it but they went out and bought some quality players like Modric, Dos Santos, Gomes, Bentley, Corluka, Pavlyuchenko, Defoe, Crouch, Kranjcar etc...

Their revenue could increase in the future but they will have to try harder.

Match day revenue is lower than the other teams with the exception of Liverpool. Tottenham only received £39.5m, which is about the same as Liverpool £42.5m, the other club with a desperate need for a larger stadium, but is less than half of the revenue generated by Manchester United £108.8m and Arsenal £100.1m. White Hart Lane’s capacity is only 36,000, compared to Old Trafford 76,000 and The Emirates 60,000. Of course a new stadium will cost a lot of money to construct, but in the long run it has to be worth it.

Another thing they can improve is their TV money. They have the same problem as Borussia, they were not in the Champions League and thus they did not benefited from money that it offers.

Just look at the difference: Spurs £44.8m compared to Manchester United £99.7m, Chelsea £79.1m, Arsenal £75.8m and Liverpool £74.6m. That’s an extra £30-40 million a year just from playing in Champions League [TV money, Gate receipts, award money].

There can be no doubt that the new stadium is vital to Tottenham’s ambitions, as it would provide a significant boost to match day revenues. They have more than 23.000 fans on the waiting list for season tickets so they really need a new stadium to stay close or get closer to Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal.
If they don`t risk to build a new stadium they surely wont be in top 4 for a long time and will probably roam just under that 4th place for years to come.

They have some top players in their squad and qualified for Champions League. Let's wait and see if they manage to finish in top 4 this season. If they manage to take advantage of Liverpool`s poor form and problems and invest in the new stadium which will give their finances a huge boost, than I can see them right next to the big guns in the not so distant future.

JUVENTUS

Some of you are probably wondering why I chose Juventus. Well I believe that they are on the rise after last 4-5 years of "down".

Although Juventus only finished 7th in Serie A last season, there is no doubt that they have come a long way since the dark days of Calciopoli just few years ago.

All this time, Juventus have strived to build a business model based on self-sufficiency, so that “the future is not an uncertain one” at Juventus. They seem to get well with economic balance and are not just splashing money around like their rivals in Serie A.

Calciopoli was ruthless to them and you can see that. But although they were forced to play in Serie-B they managed to keep their financial books look good.
While looking at that balance sheet you can see they came back close to their 2005 revenue. If they stayed in Serie A and there was no Calciopoli they would be right at the top with us.

But that does not mean they wont be in the future.

Let's look at their Revenue:

Their reported revenue is €203 million which is quite good and they are already past their Serie A rivals Inter, Milan and Roma.
And that is quite an achievement when you think of Calciopoli and what they have gone through.
Before relegation Juve were as high as 3rd in the Money League.

But the main difference between them and other top Italian clubs is that they are operating much better and their business model is much better. They are actually building something and thinking of future, not just present.

Juve’s match day revenue of just €17 million is extremely low, so much so that it’s actually the lowest of any team in the top 20 clubs listed in the Money League, representing only 8% of the club’s total revenue. On the other hand, their television revenue of €132 million is huge – the third highest in the list, accounting for a 65% of total revenue.

TV

Up to now Juventus have benefited from selling their TV rights individually to Sky/Mediaset, with a deal worth €112 million a season and after paying visiting clubs around €12 million they still got around €100 million.
As from the 2010/11 season, this has been replaced by a return to a centralised collective deal, which Juventus have estimated will lead to a €7 million reduction in revenue (to €93 million) in the first season, but only €2 million (to €98 million) the following year. That is because of Serie-A`s distribution formula: 40% equal share; 30% based on past results (5% last season, 10% last 5 years, 15% historical results up to 5 years ago); and 30% based on fan base and city inhabitants.
We can see that they are not quite fair in sharing like Bundesliga and Premier League but that will still give more to the less known teams but a lot more to the top Italian teams.
So as they calculated top Italian teams will still receive similar [few millions less] amount from the new TV deal. So that is something Juventus does not have to be afraid of.

Match day

Although the most popular club in Italy, Juventus have struggled to convert this support into meaningful match day revenue. This is an issue for all Italian clubs, but especially Juventus, even though they have managed to grow this revenue stream from the €13 million in the first season back in Serie A to €17 million last year. This is just behind Roma’s €19 million, but is far below Milan (€33 million) and Inter (€28 million), who generate almost twice as much revenue at San Siro.

Not only do Juventus have the lowest average attendance of the top European clubs in the Money League at around 23,000, but this was only the 11th highest in Serie A last season, lower than clubs like Bologna and Palermo.

Of course, Juventus have been limited by the capacity of their ground, which is very low at 28,000, only underlining the importance of moving away from the Stadio Olimpico. To that end, they have begun construction of a new 41,000 capacity stadium.

Juventus will earn much more money from naming rights, premium seats, standard seats and facilities and events. The premium seats are particularly important, if you consider that Arsenal make 35% of their match day revenue from just 9,000 premium seats at the Emirates. Significantly, all of this income will go directly to the club, as they will no longer have to share it with Torino or the local council.
They already made positive announcements regarding the stadium with 1,100 premium seats already sold (about 35% of the total available for sale).

And they made a great deal with new stadium. Almost whole construction costs of the stadium are already covered with various deals.
Sportfive has acquired the naming rights for €75 million and additional €20 million sale of commercial land to Nordiconad, who will also pay the Turin council €9 million for infrastructure improvements and a 12-year loan for €60 million.
That is a great achievement and I can only congratulate them. They took the similar path as we and I must say it is totally different from other Italian big guns.

And by saying they are taking different path from other Italian top clubs I really mean that...and I can really see that here:

This leaves them in pole position among Italian clubs to meet the new challenge of UEFA’s Financial Fair Play Regulations, which will ultimately exclude from European competitions if those clubs that fail to live within their means.

Showings on the pitch will be crucial to the club’s future success, as will the new stadium. While the club’s “business project with a long-term vision” has left them in the strongest financial position of the major Italian clubs, they now need to match those heights on the pitch. I see them as only Italian team ready for the battle while others will probably get weaker year after year.
sch0ll7

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Location: "I'm a Bayern Munich player and I've no intention of joining that club. I'm fine thanks."

Postby Element » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:00 pm

IT seems that Dortmund made an impressive recovery after being in DEEP SH!T

tottenham also seem to have a bright LONG TERM Future

but it is Juventus who should be worried because Football in italy is more than a gmae , it is Power

they might be facing corruptions and Bad Management

Bak to your first article , Bayern seem to be the fittest Financially

with other clbus being in Huge Debts or Counting on their Generous owners and Presidents

things that Could simply change with ONE NEW RULE

and if this rule is applied , the whole FOotball map will change

England might be able to stay on their feet , and also Spains Big 2

but i dont think that there is a way for Italy to survive

as usual GREAT POST
Element

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Jordan

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:47 pm

Interesting

I would agree that those 3 clubs seem to be on the rise. The problem is that Tottenham "stars" might want to move to bigger clubs within England, like Man Utd for example. Same with Borussia Dortmund. They don't have a great history apart from a few good years 10-15 years ago. Their great players will likely leave. It will be hard for BVB and Tottenham to convice them to stay.

Juve have history on their side. I agree that they are on the rise and will probably be back in a few years.
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby sch0ll7 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:35 am

Everything is possible...but for keeping their star players they need money :)

So if they manage to increase their revenue every year...It is quite possible that stars from Inter, Milan, Roma, Valencia, Atletico etc...will play for clubs like Borussia or Tottenham just because they can afford their wages while clubs mentioned before simply can`t.

This new rule will do that from instant moment. It will change wages. If the club can`t pay wages he will just need to sell the players in order to meet those rules. So other clubs that have some extra money for wages will probably attract those players.
sch0ll7

Postby Element » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:23 pm

News about the TV Money

The TV-Money that the Bundesliga gets is 412 million euros a year , 40 million of them are from non-german channels , the rest are from SKY and ARD

Karl-Heinz Rummenigge said that this amount is too low and that the TV money must at least get Doubled

Sadly , The DFL is Against that

The President of the DFL .Christian Seifert said "We must Stay realistic , the Market Circumstances in germany are Different than in England , there the Pay-TV Partner has 10 million clients , with a turnover of 6 Billions ,and a win of 1 Billion , While our Pay-TV Partner SKY is currently making a turnover of less than 1 Billion euros , so no one can expect that SKY will Double their offer"

so the DFL realistic target is to increase the foreign money from 40 millions to 50 millions (in 2005/2006 the money from foreign channels was 12 million euros)

Look at the other Leagues

1-England : England Gets 1.2 BILLION from TV money , 400 Million euros from Foreign TV Channels (they get from foreign channels exactly like we get in Total!!)

2-Spain and Italy : They make slightly more than 700 million euros

4-France : 670 Million euros

France makes 1.5X more TV Money than the Bundesliga which is something Wrong considered that The bundesliga is waaaaaaaay Better than the Ligue 1

However , This also has reasons

For Example : when the Middle eastern Rights For Bundesliga have Expired

Both Dubai Sports (the previous owner and a not so big channel) , and Al-Jazeera Sports (One of the best Sport Channels worldwide) offered their offers for Bundesliga

Al-Jazeera's Offer was noticeably bigger than Dubai's , But Al-Jazeera wanted to show it on their PAY-TV Channels not free ones , and they also have other leagues that are more important for middle-easterns than the Bundesliga

Dubai Sports offered Less money , but they wanted to show it for Free (Dubai Sports has no PAY TV Channels) , besides the Bundesliga would be their Best League and their most important tv Show

The Bundesliga sold the rights to Dubai Sports not to Jazeera Sports

so things like that maybe good for specators , but negatively affect the clubs
Element

National Flag:
Jordan

Postby sch0ll7 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:42 pm

German SKY would have quite solid number of viewers and turnover if DFB wouldnt **** it all up with free to air channels.

In England noone can watch the game if they dont pay their annual subcription to SKY...In Germany everyone can watch BL without paying a € to SKY.

That is a main problem...not because of noone watches BL.

I dont know why they are doing that...Every house/family in Germany can afford to pay the annual fee.

They are making a big problem with not selling all rights to SKY. If they sold all rights to SKY every household in Germany would pay annual subscription for SKY...and every club would get at least 300% more TV money.
sch0ll7

Postby dambun » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:48 pm

I remember I read somewhere that the Sportschau program, is itself a major problem for gaining more money...
If they insist on keeping such free public services, why don't they pay more attention to some different plans?

For example, Uli Hoeness's idea that every German TV-holder pays an extra 2-Euro tax per month for broadcasting live BL games for free.... That did sound like a good idea...
"" "" "" ""
Time for overhaul!
dambun
2010/11 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Iran

Previous

Return to The Lounge