You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Miscellaneous Video Games Thread

A place where you can chill out with the BayernForum.com community and talk about anything.

Re: Miscellaneous Video Games Thread

Postby kofta » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:01 am

FCBayernMunchen wrote:Metallica singing the Pokemon theme is proof that whatever reputation Pokemon had for years, it has now become dominant in popular culture and has become the biggest talking point at the moment among people of all demographics. I think in recent years only Harry Potter has had such a profound pop culture impact on the world as Pokemon Go has had. Maybe maybe last year's Star Wars movie but I don't think so.

It's not really them, turns out the song was recorded by an Egyptian band and mashed up by a YouTuber in Brazil

Watch a Video Where Metallica Appear to Perform the ‘Pokemon’ Theme [source]
Metallica 'Sings' the 'Pokemon Theme' in Viral Video: Watch [source]

I've gotta admit it fooled me the first time I watched it...which is pretty shameful considering I'm a big Metallica fan :oops:
kofta
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Australia
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:17 am

A very well done clip then... :wink:
We will rise again! (when we stop burying our heads in the sand)
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby #12 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:28 pm

If Metallica hear that you associate them with pop culture I think they're gonna tear you a new one

Okay, a few thoughts now that I played a little more as well:

- I see no use in abandoning the turn-based combat system... Actually makes the game less accessible, interesting and fun IMHO...

- Also, it's beyond dumb that Pokémon only appear in cities... They should spread randomly... And I'm not just saying this, cause I live in a rural area: there's less danger of trespassing, traffic obstruction, jaywalking, etc. on designated hiking trails...

- The whole cb system seems kinda half-baked IMHO... Why not keep the already well-proven levels?!

- Kinda pointless to conquer a gym only to lose it every few seconds

- not everyone is willing to drive to hunt in another place - Pokémon should spawn with more versatility...

And a question: is it better to power up the Pokémon first and then evolve them or to evolve first an then power up? That is: is the max CP a maxby definition or generated randomly?
Thanks for nothing, :pep: !!
I live on BayernForum.com

Years of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:42 pm

I agree with most of your points though at this point (level 23) it takes so long to level up that I'm grateful gyms change hands so often. I've taken to winning gyms and leaving them unoccupied for someone else to take and then winning it back again. Some quick XP... That said, it's possible to hold a gym for days if you team up with other strong players and level it up.

On the whole, the combat system is too boring though. I'm hoping we get some new features such as challenging select players.

Don't pokemon appear in rural areas? I read somewhere that rare pokemon spawn more often in the countryside.

With regard to evolving, as far as I know you'll ultimately end up with the same CP whichever one you do first. I usually evolve first and then check the moves it has before deciding whether or not to power up. In the earlier levels it's not worth powering up because you'll start finding stronger pokemon int he wild eventually. Keep the candy for evolutions with a lucky egg activated so you can level up quickly.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Miscellaneous Video Games Thread

Postby #12 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:57 pm

I don't even have alucky egg yet :D
And I'm not spending money on f-t-p as a matter of principle

Well: I live in a village about 3km away from a town of 15.000... I walked a hiking trail to the town and another one back today, hatched 3 eggs in the process and caught 4 Pokémon - all of them while I was still/again in my village and in the town... So at least here: no Pokémon outside of the city... I'll try again and keep you posted - summer break in school so I got time

So IMHO CP should be unlimited and assigned on base of mathematical algorithms... Wouldn't limit the game so much... And also, you should get a number of candy according to the (CP-) level of the Pokémon you sent in - and not just one, regardless of the Pokémon's stats...

Years of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:05 pm

I think you get the first lucky egg at level 9. I've used 4 so far and still have 1 and like you, I'm not spending any money. You can get coins in-game though. You get 10 coins and 500 stardust per gym you are currently defending by tapping the Collect Now button in the top right of the screen on the shop page. You can do so every 21 hours.

Regarding CP there is a maximum but I think it varies even within the same type of pokemon (for example, one Pidgeot can have a higher maximum than another). I haven't quite understood or really looked into how that works though. I'd rather just evolve the one with the highest CP if it has decent attacks than evolve a much weaker one just because I can eventually power it up more. It's not like I'm drowning in stardust. :P

I disagree that CP should affect the amount of candy you get because it'll make it even harder for players who are just starting out to catch up. However, they desperately need to make evolved pokemon give out 3 candy instead of 1 when transferred. Malta is flooded with Magnemites and Voltorbs, everyone is fed up of them (apparently they're quite rare elsewhere in the world :shock: ). I've evolved countless numbers of them so I'm transferring them as well but it's just as if I'm transferring an unevolved one. In fact, I don't catch the Magnetons or Electrodes I find in the wild because it's just a waste of pokeballs considering they're harder to catch than the unevolved pokemon but are worth exactly the same to me.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby #12 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:22 pm

Some kind of friend system with possibility to exchange would be golden...

What team are you on? I'm Mystic

Another thing: teams should actually matter - at least so far tgey don't, right?

Geez, it's like this is one of the biggest beta testings in history

Years of membership

National Flag:
Germany

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:46 pm

I think they'll bring trading to the game eventually but I believe they should implement it in a way that users need to be next to each other to trade.

I'm Mystic as well. :) And yeah, they should have some kind of leaderboard for country and global for the teams. It would also be nice to have a team leaderboard for motivation, for example which player has gained most prestige or won most gyms.

It would also be nice to have gyms give special effects. For example, every defender on gym A gets a slight increase in spawn rates, every defender in gym B gets a +10 XP bonus, etc. In Malta there are at least 2 gyms which are almost in perpetual battle. In both cases there are other gyms nearby which are less frequently challenged. It doesn't make much sense... if they implement this and make such gyms give bigger rewards (surely Niantic has data on which gyms are held for the least amount of time or are in hotspots - these two are in the two most frequented areas by players because they are the two best areas in the country for finding pokemon) it would make more sense.

I don't know whether anyone here has ever played the MMORPG Fallen Sword. It wasn't insanely popular but I happened to be one of the earliest members of the game and I enjoyed the simplicity of it and played it for many years. Players could create or join guilds and throughout the time I played I was a member of a couple of top guilds before I broke away with several other members and we formed our own new one and climbed to first in PVP rankings (guilds served a number of other purposes). Anyway, so as not to digress, throughout the game's world map there were a number of relics which can only be occupied by guilds and the only way to defend them was (if I remember correctly) to leave your player on that spot in the map (so generally while not playing). However, every member of that guild benefits from the relic's bonuses. Some of them had horrible bonuses so whenever someone would post that they've captured so and so no one would bother helping to defend. There were also a limited amount of relics any guild could hold so sometimes we'd discourage weaker members from taking any if we were planning to storm some of the stronger ones. The pleasure that came from winning one of the better ones and trying to defend it was much bigger than with any ordinary one. Different relics were also of benefit to different kinds of players. For example, being a PVP guild we'd take the relics which gave us advantage in battle, while most guilds would take those which increased XP gain. I think this is what Pokemon Go's gyms should try to emulate. Gyms could increase capture or spawn rates or they could help in battle, or increase XP gained from evolutions (for example).

Having each gym show the amount of time it has been held (also an idea taken from this MMORPG) would also add a fun factor to the gyms imo.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby JANKER » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:18 pm

In Basel, Pokemon hunts you...

"Football is very simple." - Kaiser Franck
JANKER
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Basque Country

Postby quaazi » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:52 am

pokemon turned to shit when it turned to 3D

i'll take me the original Crystal version over everything else erryday of the week.
The ideal team

--------Müller with gloves--------
-Müller--Müller--Müller--Müller--
-------Müller---------Müller-------
----Müller----Müller----Müller----
---------------Müller---------------
quaazi
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Estonia

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:23 am

I've never played the other games. I was into the TCG for a while when I was younger and used to watch the anime at the same age but that's it for me. I just like the moving around part of this game and the fact that with only one generation, catching 'em all is actually possible (114 pokemon in the pokedex so far folks).
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby kod2600 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:56 pm

I am a Pokemon fan to the bone, playing every single title on Nintendo's handheld consoles from Blue all the way to XY (soon Omega Ruby) and I'm waiting for the upcoming title (Sun and Moon).
However, I can't play Pokemon Go as it should be played. There are no Gyms or Pokesotps in my area at all, no internet whenever I go so yes, I barely reached lvl6 and called it a game lol. My friends are using fake GPS locations but if I wanna play pokemon while sitting on my ass I already have way better Pokemon games to do it this way.
My blood is RED
My team is RED
It's Bayern München till I'm DEAD

Mia San Mia
kod2600
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Palestine

Postby BayernLove » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:38 pm

#12 wrote:If Metallica hear that you associate them with pop culture I think they're gonna tear you a new one

I thought the world collectively agreed Metallica can go **** themselves some time ago though?
Jesus saves, but Kahn does it better ;)
BayernLove

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Jordan

Postby PunkCapitalist » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:43 pm

BayernLove wrote:
#12 wrote:If Metallica hear that you associate them with pop culture I think they're gonna tear you a new one

I thought the world collectively agreed Metallica can go **** themselves some time ago though?

Metallica? That band ceased to exist after The Black Album.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
PunkCapitalist
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membership

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:53 pm

kod2600 wrote:I am a Pokemon fan to the bone, playing every single title on Nintendo's handheld consoles from Blue all the way to XY (soon Omega Ruby) and I'm waiting for the upcoming title (Sun and Moon).
However, I can't play Pokemon Go as it should be played. There are no Gyms or Pokesotps in my area at all, no internet whenever I go so yes, I barely reached lvl6 and called it a game lol. My friends are using fake GPS locations but if I wanna play pokemon while sitting on my ass I already have way better Pokemon games to do it this way.

Can't blame you. Fake gps takes the fun out of the game. Every single person I know who's tried it ended up never playing it outside again and "travelling" all over the world to catch everything quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge