You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Maltese members

A place where you can chill out with the BayernForum.com community and talk about anything.

Re: Maltese members

Postby ramsej84 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:09 pm

U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Roonzil » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:37 pm

Am I the only one who is horrified at this? Some nitwit American writes a badly researched piece on Malta (which she treats as an obscurity), and she's suddenly famous?? It sounds so typically "superior American"...I'd be HUGELY insulted if this had been about my country....
She’s beauty, she’s grace, if u tell her she only watches football for the attractive players she’ll punch u in the face.

Total ho for Thiago :P
Roonzil
I post all the time

Years of membership

National Flag:
Netherlands

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:28 pm

FFS, it's all over my facebook feed. So many of my friends are sharing it because "OMG it mentions Malta."

The Maltese are a weird bunch. On the one hand, many seem to think the world revolves around us and we're the centre of the universe. On the other hand, we have a kind of inferiority complex. "Iii isemmu 'l Malta" (Ohh they mention Malta!) and "Iii tidher Malta!" (Ohh Malta appears - referring to a TV programme or film of course) are common things you hear in this situation. Seriously, the number of people who saw World War X just because parts of it were filmed in Malta, even though they had no interest in the genre or plot...

Tbh, I vaguely remember this buzzfeed article and I wouldn't be surprised if I shared it myself at the time. It was just a bunch of really beautiful photos (tbf, you can find more on the photography thread on BayernForum :P ). And it's ok to share it, but I mean, what the hell? A gofundme page? Newspaper article? A trip to the Office of the Prime Minister!? (the White House analogy is wrong, btw) Are we really taking random foreigners inside one of the most important places in Malta (not to mention security) just for having posted a bunch of photos 3 years before? FFS she googled WHAT (not where) is Malta and thinks Europe is grey and dull. #-o

And don't get me started on how someone whose only relation to Castille is that his great uncle used to be Prime Minister (who, if I've got the identity right, has been dead for 5 years) could get inside with a random foreigner on a whim. It really typifies this "it's who you know" culture we have here.
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby ramsej84 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:07 pm

Mintoff

He should have taken them to the no go area of marsa were the african illegal immigrants are creating fear in the people's lives...
F # ck the EU
Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
ramsej84

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MaCk0y » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:45 pm

I don't think we are rarely mentioned. I replayed Mafia 2 recently and Malta was mentioned on the radio. Malta is mentioned in Kishin Corps and the Knights of Malta make an appearance and mentioned by name in Hellsing Ultimate episode 8. :D And IIRC, also mentioned in Lupin III 1st series.
MaCk0y
Assistant Admin

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:49 pm

MaCk0y wrote:I don't think we are rarely mentioned. I replayed Mafia 2 recently and Malta was mentioned on the radio. Malta is mentioned in Kishin Corps and the Knights of Malta make an appearance and mentioned by name in Hellsing Ultimate episode 8. :D And IIRC, also mentioned in Lupin III 1st series.

The Knights are mentioned a lot. Maybe the British period and the war. Other than that, not much.

Coincidentally yesterday I attended a talk on Anthony Burgess's (author of The Clockwork Orange) time in Malta. One of his novels (Earthly Powers) is partly set in Malta and paints a very unflattering portrait of the Maltese.

I also found out that I pass from in front of his house in Lija almost every day. I knew he lived there but not which house. Maybe yiu too ramsej... It has a blue door and blue windows.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:01 pm

istra ... OK I pass from there quite often,
But I know nothing about the guy although I think I read something controversial about him..
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:21 pm

I may have written this in the ''today I learned thread '' ... Yest at work I met Salvu Mallia and he told me what he is working on...
(I had spoken to him about two years ago already)
He will have a prog all dedicated to the Maltese Pirates (is-sibi) Today's rich ppl are as such thanks to this infamous trade( I knew this)
The Maltese pirates were feared throughout the Med Sea especially in N. Africa.
Maltese were also heavily involved in the slaves trade ... They were so feared that mums used to scare their children by saying to them that if they don't behave the Maltese will come and take them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! does this ring a bell ? Here the Maltese used to say the same... ara jigi t-Tork / il-Furban u jiehdok ...!
He also told me that in the records he is reading he also found that a good number of Maltese participated in the American Civil war ...

to cut the long story short the Maltese were known for their bravery, courage and wickedness

for the prog Salvu and his team will travel to Algeria and Tunisia among other countries.

It will be aired on net tv in 2019
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Maltese members

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:23 pm

ramsej84 wrote:istra ... OK I pass from there quite often,
But I know nothing about the guy although I think I read something controversial about him..

He was exiled from Malta after he gave a lecture on obscenity and the arts. However, he was very much a victim of extreme censorship by the Church authorities in Malta in the 1970s. This much I already knew. Yesterday I learned more about the situation; apparently he had over 200 books confiscated when he arrived in Malta; many of which were ridiculous bans (for example, it mentions sex between a married couple), even James Bond novels were confiscated! Also, other than well-known titles which were banned elsewhere in the past as well, they very much decided what to confiscate from the cover. For example, the same book in different languages was not banned in all languages because of how explicit the covers were (or weren't).

I also found out that when he was first attacked in the Maltese press, another Maltese person jumped to his defence. According to someone in the audience who knew this person, he was a very close friend of Mintoff and was eventually appointed as Malta's representative in London. No wonder he defended him against Church censorship!

He's a very famous late 20th century author btw. I've only read A Clockwork Orange, his most famous work and a masterpiece. But he had success with a number of works. The house is on the way to Balzan Church, just beyond the skarpan and before the talaham butcher in the corner.

Edit: the event continues today with a free screening of the clockwork orange film at St James' Cavalier (I think 7pm) but I don't think I'll make it today. Tomorrow there's some world premiere of a number of musical compositions he had written in Malta. Not sure where or what time.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:32 pm

ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:14 pm

Exactly, that's the one
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:16 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:Exactly, that's the one
I do not understand which one it is.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:31 pm

MUTU wrote:

The one with the blue door and windows in the link ramsej posted. I mentioned earlier it has blue windows so I assumed it would be understood.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:24 am

FCBayernMunchen wrote:
MUTU wrote:

The one with the blue door and windows in the link ramsej posted. I mentioned earlier it has blue windows so I assumed it would be understood.
In the street view if I turn around I see three houses with blue windows...
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:15 am

You're right, I didn't notice the light blue ones.

This is it, at least according to the foreign expert:

FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge