You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Maltese members

A place where you can chill out with the BayernForum.com community and talk about anything.

Re: Maltese members

Postby ramsej84 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:12 pm

just saw a sticker on a car which read : in rust we trust :twisted:
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:39 pm

ramsej84 wrote:just saw a sticker on a car which read : in rust we trust :twisted:

:lol: :lol:

Speaking of car stickers, last Friday I went to Valletta to watch the Christmas pantomime and we parked in front of car that said it belonged to a worker in the Office of the President (something like that, don't remember exactly what). It also had a Bayern emblem and some other Bayern merchandise. :)
Super Bayern! Super Bayern! Hey! Hey!
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby ramsej84 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:10 am

Updated at 7am on Friday

Army explosives experts were deployed to Fgura on Thursday after what is believed to be a car bomb was discovered in St Anthony Street.

The discovery was made at around 6.30pm.

Sources said a bomb had been planted under a Mitsubishi Shogun owned by a person 'well known to the police'.

The alert was raised when somebody noticed a spark and heard a strange noise, but the bomb, although activated, failed to go off.

The car was parked in a residential area so the road was closed and the Armed Forces' Bomb Disposal Unit was called.

The sources said the bomb appeared to a home-made device.

An inquiry is being held.

The government in a statement expressed its support to the forces of law and order, saying initial indications were that this was an unexploded bomb.

It said it was committed to tracking down whoever was responsible for this infamous and cowardly act' which could have had serious consequences to innocent people, apart from the intended target. [source]

:evil:
ramsej84

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby prasun77 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:57 pm

Hi,
I recently came across this "country" "Sovereign Military Order of Malta" I thought this is the official name of malta but when I googled it it turns out its a different country..
Can you guys help me gain clarity what is the difference between "Malta" and "Sovereign Military Order of Malta"?
Bayernaholic!
prasun77
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
India

Postby ramsej84 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:03 pm

prasun77 wrote:Hi,
I recently came across this "country" "Sovereign Military Order of Malta" I thought this is the official name of malta but when I googled it it turns out its a different country..
Can you guys help me gain clarity what is the difference between "Malta" and "Sovereign Military Order of Malta"?
That is another name for the Knights of St.John who ruled the islands of Malta from 1530-1798...
Before coming here (cause had no alternatives as they were driven out from Rhodes by the Ottomans) they were as I said in Rhodes, before that in Cyprus and even before that in the Holy Land.
The Order was initially formed to help and protect the Catholic pilgrims in the Holy Land. They are also known as the Knights Hospitaliers as they build State of the art Hospitals and had avant-garde medical treatments.
In 1798 they had to leave Malta as the French took over without any bloodshed as they had many friends amongst the Knights and the latter just opened the gates for them and offered no resistance.

After they left here they became homeless again and relocated to Rome were they still are to this day where they still carry voluntary work with ppl in need.
They still hold a small area in Fort St. Angelo in Vittoriosa Malta but it is just that.

I googled it and just learned that they have their currency (wtf) ???) https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soverei ... r_of_Malta
Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:23 pm

prasun77 wrote:Hi,

The Sovereign Military Order is much more commonly known as the Order of St John, which originated many centuries ago as the Knights Hospitaller. In Medieval Times the Order was stationed in several different places (not simultaeneously), such as Jerusalem and Rhodes, where they were constantly in conflict with the Ottoman Empire. In 1530, after they were defeated in Rhodes, the king of Spain, Charles V, who was at the time in control of Malta, handed the Maltese Islands to the Order of St John (on a tour I helped organise at the national library once, I was shown a letter from England's Henry VIII to Charles V urging him to do so). The Order ruled Malta from 1530 until 1798, when Napoleon conquered Malta. That period has left a great influence on Malta, with many fortifications around the coast of the island dating back to that time. The most famous of them is our now capital city and one of the two European Capitals of Culture for 2018, Valletta, which was constructed in the late 1560s.

A key moment in Maltese history is the (first) Great Siege of Malta in 1565 (the second took place in 1942). This was an invasion by the Ottoman Empire of about 40,000 troops, around 3-4 times more than the Knights+Maltese combined. It lasted 5 months, with the Maltese/Knights emerging victorious on 8th September 1565, which is still a national holiday today known as Victory Day. On the same day in 1943, Fascisct Italy surrendered in WW2, marking the end of the war for Malta. The Great Siege was a major moment in European history as it is thought that the loss of Malta would lead to the Ottomans eventually moving further up to Europe, particularly in Rome, which would have likely led to the Islamisation of Europe. Because of the Siege many Maltese mention the time of the Order in Malta with pride, but in fact it was a period of great hardship for the Maltese people.

Today the Sovereign Military Order is based in Rome, although if I'm not mistaken it does own some property in Malta. It has its own passport, which is the rarest passport in the world, but I'm not aware of how its citizenship works or why it even is sovereign. Don't feel bad about your confusion though... last summer I came across a consulate of the Order in Bratislava, Slovakia while on a Maltese tour and pretty much everyone except my family and me (including the tour leader!) thought it was a consulate for Malta... shared with Jerusalem and Rhodes! :twisted: :lol:
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:21 pm

MUTU wrote:
YESSS! FC Bayern II are coming to Malta! [source]

Any news on this?

Edit: Oh, the article has been updated to say Bayern are going to Malaga. :( But no confirmation.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby MUTU » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:37 pm

Oh dear, that's embarrassing. Malaga and Malta are written way too similarly. What are the chances that it was written Malaga all along and some Maltese reporter read it a bit too quickly and got excited?
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Paphlagonian » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:43 pm

Ah... That siege of Malta hahaha it's funny because we evolved so much. I wonder about the humidity though. Is it bad? I hate sweating while standing still.
Paphlagonian
Yeah, now I'm talking!

National Flag:
Turkey

Postby MUTU » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:53 pm

Paphlagonian wrote: I wonder about the humidity though. Is it bad?

Take a guess. The farthest you can be possibly be from the sea in Malta is 7.25km.
MUTU

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Paphlagonian » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:55 pm

It burnssss!
Paphlagonian
Yeah, now I'm talking!

National Flag:
Turkey

Postby MUTU » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:57 pm

Paphlagonian wrote:Ah... That siege of Malta hahaha it's funny because we evolved so much.

Not really. History repeated itself 442 years later (to the day!) with Turks coming to Malta fully expecting to defeat us and left back home without a victory :mrgreen:

MUTU

National Flag:
Malta

Postby Paphlagonian » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:01 pm

Well at least we entered to the Malta that time lol.

Paphlagonian
Yeah, now I'm talking!

National Flag:
Turkey

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:51 pm

MUTU wrote:Oh dear, that's embarrassing. Malaga and Malta are written way too similarly. What are the chances that it was written Malaga all along and some Maltese reporter read it a bit too quickly and got excited?

I don't think so. The source seems to have been Bulgarian so they wouldn't have info on Bayern II, only the opponents of the Bulgarian club.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:17 pm

Paphlagonian wrote:Ah... That siege of Malta hahaha it's funny because we evolved so much. I wonder about the humidity though. Is it bad? I hate sweating while standing still.

so you do know about it after all ? :lol:
ramsej84

National Flag:
Malta

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge