You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Introduce yourself here!

A place where you can chill out with the BayernForum.com community and talk about anything.

Re: Introduce yourself here!

Postby 1911 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:30 pm

pseiber wrote:In the same boat as nm462272. Louisville is a speck of blue in the red state that is Kentucky. Not to imply any value judgments, because our democracy is built on civil, dissenting opinions.

But it would be lovely if this didn't devolve into a political thread again...

Louisville is a nice city. My political views are not necessarily pigeonholed into a particular rigid block or classification, but having strong libertarian leanings are pushing me away from my current area. The reason I'm asking people about their locations is to see what others experience in their areas. And yes our republic is built on civil discourse.
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby pyrasur » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:30 pm

Austin is supposed to be super cool. Heading to San Antonio for a trip sometime soon. I'm in Mississippi ya creeper. That's as specific as I get ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
而剑法的最高境界,则是手中无剑,心中也无剑,是以大胸怀,包容一切。那便是不杀,便是和平。-英雄
pyrasur
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
United States of America
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member

Postby pyrasur » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:31 pm

I've also been in the panhandle. It was ok. Nice beaches, but it's basically Alabama.

pyrasur
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby pseiber » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:34 pm

1911 wrote:
pseiber wrote:In the same boat as nm462272. Louisville is a speck of blue in the red state that is Kentucky. Not to imply any value judgments, because our democracy is built on civil, dissenting opinions.

And yes our republic is built on civil discourse.

Not to nitpick but..... a republic is form of representative democracy. Unless my public schooling steered me wrong. Not to be a pain, but I have to argue that point.
pseiber
Getting the hang of it

Years of membership

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby pseiber » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:35 pm

But Louisville is a lovely place to live, thank you.
pseiber
Getting the hang of it

Years of membership

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby 1911 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:38 pm

Austin is beautiful, sitting at the beginning of TX hill country. The only thing with it is everyone in my age group has the same haircut, beard, glasses, tattoos, politics, etc. It's essentially Williamsburg, BK in warmer weather. It was really funny, when I was there asking people their thoughts on the area, many were NY ex-pats, and all the white guys said "it used to be great until all the rich white people moved here and gentrified it." The irony was that they were all the rich white people that moved there . . . I mostly preferred the people from Dallas but Austin has the better natural topography.
Yeah, now I'm talking!

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby nm462272 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:39 pm

1911 wrote:
nm462272 wrote:
1911 wrote:There are a lot of people that don't want to work that you need to support :)

I also happen to support the US Constitution and the 2nd Amendment

Oh, you're one of those... yeah, the South will welcome you :roll:

So by your reply, should I assume you're a liberal hipster?

Much like you, I prefer not to be "pigeonholed"... but having lived in places that are both liberal (NY, Germany) and conservative (Georgia), I can say for certain which society I'd prefer to live in
Des interessiert mi ois ned, der Scheißdreck. Weltmeister samma! Den Pott hamma! Den scheiß goldener Schuh kannst da hinter d’Ohr’n schmiern! - Mia San Mia

Euer Hass ist unser Stolz!
nm462272
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby 1911 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:44 pm

pseiber wrote:
1911 wrote:

And yes our republic is built on civil discourse.

Not to nitpick but..... a republic is form of representative democracy. Unless my public schooling steered me wrong. Not to be a pain, but I have to argue that point.

Reading of the "Founding Fathers" shows all clear disdain of democracy and stressed the importance of a representative republic. To be concise, Democracy is rule by the mob. A Republic is rule by law. The difference has recently been in the spotlight as there are many instances of public officials choosing which laws to follow and which to ignore. When ignoring they cite a "majority" being against the law as written. This is precisely what the Founders intended to prevent. If a law is a bad law, it should be changed legislatively, but all laws should be enforced equally and without prejudice.
Yeah, now I'm talking!

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby pseiber » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:50 pm

1911 wrote:Reading of the "Founding Fathers" shows all clear disdain of democracy and stressed the importance of a representative republic. To be concise, Democracy is rule by the mob. A Republic is rule by law.

The rest of your point is your opinion, and I respectfully leave it to you.

But isn't it rather clear that they disdained direct democracy? Direct democracy hasn't been my point at all. The representative democracy and the republic are largely the same animal. To say we have a republic is not to say 'no, it isn't a democracy'.
pseiber
Getting the hang of it

Years of membership

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby 1911 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:18 pm

pseiber wrote:
1911 wrote:Reading of the "Founding Fathers" shows all clear disdain of democracy and stressed the importance of a representative republic. To be concise, Democracy is rule by the mob. A Republic is rule by law.

The rest of your point is your opinion, and I respectfully leave it to you.

But isn't it rather clear that they disdained direct democracy? Direct democracy hasn't been my point at all. The representative democracy and the republic are largely the same animal. To say we have a republic is not to say 'no, it isn't a democracy'.

Democracy requires the qualifier of "representative" in front of it. Republic is the more precise term. It's like the difference is discussing sports as a whole or football, or transportation or a car. Also to most people Democracy infers majority rule. Our Constitution stresses the rights and protections of the minority of opinion.
Yeah, now I'm talking!

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby 1911 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:33 pm

Oh, you're one of those... yeah, the South will welcome you :roll:[/quote]

So by your reply, should I assume you're a liberal hipster?[/quote]

Much like you, I prefer not to be "pigeonholed"... but having lived in places that are both liberal (NY, Germany) and conservative (Georgia), I can say for certain which society I'd prefer to live in[/quote]

Ok, so you only like to pigeonhole others . . .
To me, it's a matter of economics, and where I'd rather raise a family, and where I want to start a business. There are pro's and con's to both types of places, and apparently I'm not alone in wanting to leave this area. TX and FL have seen the highest influx of domestic migration. NY & NJ are #1 & #3 for net loss in population. Further, in NJ there is a massive amount of the tax-payer base leaving, and it's replaced by those who receive more in benefits than pay in tax. Based on these facts, I don't find my opinion of the state unreasonable.
Yeah, now I'm talking!

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby nm462272 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:17 am

I don't know what line of work you're in, but like anywhere else, the South is great if you have money. If not, you won't find the same type of safety net you'll see in the northeast.

Let's take family for example: your kids will need to go to school. If you are rich and can afford private school, you're fine. If you're middle class and send your kids to public school, the standard of education is much lower than in the Northeast. I would consider something like that important if you're concerned about your family.

Another issue is taxes. It's true that property taxes are lower in the south, but they are starting to creep up as well. I work in real estate development, and the gap is growing smaller, at least in Georgia.

Like I said before, it's all about what you want in life. If you want to live somewhere on a few acres, have no one bother you and don't care about anything except low property costs and shooting guns, the south is great. If you're looking for something deeper, it may not be the right place for you.
Des interessiert mi ois ned, der Scheißdreck. Weltmeister samma! Den Pott hamma! Den scheiß goldener Schuh kannst da hinter d’Ohr’n schmiern! - Mia San Mia

Euer Hass ist unser Stolz!
nm462272
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby lau03143 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:16 pm

BradJohnny85 wrote:Hey everyone, my name is Brad I live in Australia. I am planning on moving to England next year for a working holiday, during that time I plan on going over to Munich to see a couple of games.

I have already purchased a ticket for one match; Bayern Munich vs Eintracht Frankfurt on the 2nd of April from Viagogo, I have a question about seating, the ticket says that I am in section 119 but it doesn't say a row or seat number, does this mean I am not allocated a reserve seat and would have to get to the match as early as possible to get a good seat?. Does anyone have any advice on going to Bayern matches and getting the best experience out of them.

You'll be in the standing section.

If it says Stehtplatz, that means standing place.
To all those, Over the years,
who have come to
Munich as strangers
and left as good friends.
Zum Wohl!
lau03143
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Scotland
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby 1911 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:59 pm

nm462272 wrote:I don't know what line of work you're in, but like anywhere else, the South is great if you have money. If not, you won't find the same type of safety net you'll see in the northeast.

Let's take family for example: your kids will need to go to school. If you are rich and can afford private school, you're fine. If you're middle class and send your kids to public school, the standard of education is much lower than in the Northeast. I would consider something like that important if you're concerned about your family.

Another issue is taxes. It's true that property taxes are lower in the south, but they are starting to creep up as well. I work in real estate development, and the gap is growing smaller, at least in Georgia.

Like I said before, it's all about what you want in life. If you want to live somewhere on a few acres, have no one bother you and don't care about anything except low property costs and shooting guns, the south is great. If you're looking for something deeper, it may not be the right place for you.

Salary is more of a concern looking at FL. In Texas, I'm confident I can quickly find a job at my current level, based on what I've seen so far. My wife was already offered a job at an increase. I see no reason to consider the "safety net" as I've also been able to provide for myself. You're correct about the school systems in the South, but again where I'm looking in TX, the school systems are very highly regarded. Property taxes there are considered "high," but nowhere close to where I live. I'm looking into suburbs near the city, so I'm unlikely to be living in seclusion. I'm interested in moving to a state that allows for concealed carry permits. In NJ you have better luck get struck by lightning than getting a permit issued.
Yeah, now I'm talking!

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby pyrasur » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:23 am

I doubt life is spectacular for the poor anywhere. Or "deeper". Don't go to California. Our lawmakers get confused about gun parts regularly/scared of anything black. It's embarrassing for everyone outside San Francisco.

pyrasur
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
United States of America

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge