You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

Greatest footballer of all time

A place where you can chill out with the BayernForum.com community and talk about anything.

Re: Greatest footballer of all time

Postby Mazen96 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:24 pm

The Spyware wrote:Maradona
Zinedine Zidane
Mesut Oezil

=D> =D> =D>
In guten wie in schlechten Zeiten...
Mazen96
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Lebanon

Postby sch0ll7 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:02 pm

Zizou is probably the best for me as he was at the top of his game for a long time and that was while there were a lot of top players playing in Europe but he always managed to show something different and stand out.

While Pele and Maradona had only few top class players competing with them.
Starin` at the world through my rearview
sch0ll7
Moderator & EURO 2012 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Location: "I'm a Bayern Munich player and I've no intention of joining that club. I'm fine thanks."
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby shileno » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:21 pm

Trophies don't say a thing for me, Pique has won a lot and probably he'll keep winning things but that doesn't make him the best defender of all time.

For me it's Messi or Maradona. Pele, Ronaldo, Zidane, Cruyff, Di Stefano, Beckenbauer are a step behind IMO. The tech of Messi and Maradona are/were simply unbeatable. Now if we talk about the most complete player of all time, then it's Beckenbauer for me.
shileno
I'm a post king!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Chile

Postby Aequitas1987 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:48 pm

Zidane imo.

He did what the ancient greats did in the modern game and that is quite a feat. He also single handedly carried whichever team he was in. The galacticos would have not won anything without Zidane nor would France have done so well internationally to become a dominant force again.

I think this is a little biased but i think for me a close second is Gerd Muller. Statistically he has achieved as much as Maradona and is slightly behind Pele. He still holds many records, in fact there has never been a more prolific striker in the history of the game. The "mercurial poacher" is my 2nd pic for best player ever to grace this game.
SoStronk.com
Aequitas1987
I post all the time

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
India

Postby MUTU » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:27 pm

I can't talk about the greatest footballers of all time since I haven't seen all the greats playing regularly.

The greatest player I've seen playing on a regular basis for me is Stefan Effenberg. For me, he is still the most complete player I have ever seen. How good were Pele, Maradona and Zidane at tackling and defending? Not much. How good is Messi at headers?

Effenberg could do ANYTHING.

He had exceptional tackling and sliding tackles
Excellent vision with highly intelligent and accurate crossing
Great long-range shooting
Great freekicks
Great penalty taking
Great heading
Decent dribbling
Super leadership
Legendary aggression

The only reason why nobody puts him in lists of greatest players ever is because his international career got cut short due to 'the incident'.
30GB free cloud storage. Click here for the referral.
MUTU
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner
Site Admin & EURO 2016 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby AvatarX » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:53 pm

MUTU wrote:The only reason why nobody puts him in lists of greatest players ever is because his international career got cut short due to 'the incident'.

Effenberg got almost everything except controlled aggression, good behaviour and respect, mostly to the fans...
"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred."
Assistant Admin & World Cup 2014 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Anonymous

Postby SilentStrike » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:58 pm

It's hard to compare players. Who was greater a defender or an attacker? or even a goalkeeper? Obviously midfielders are going to be the most complete.
Trophies don't mean everything either. Neuer is a better goalkeeper than Wiedenfeller but Weidenfeller is going to win the trophy.
Stats are also hard to compare considering the difference in time. 80 years ago big matches could easily end at 5-5. Also do striker depend on the midfielders. even the best strikers wont score if they dont get the ball.

Going by stats, Muller was the greatest. He pissed all over the goal ratios and records of Maradona and Pele yet people rate him less.
Going by offensive skills: Messi maybe? But he can't header. Ronaldo is very complete striker, but certainly not the best ever. The real Ronaldo (Brazilian one) was a very skilful striker too, but also not the best ever/ I'd say Zidane had the most skill as a playmaker. But also Ronaldinho was a joy to watch.

But then ofcourse football is not only attacking. The dirty work deserves credit too. Hence I think Midfielders should be the greatest. Effenberg was a complete player for sure. But I think he's done too little with his skill/career to be called the greatest ever. Matthaus was of course fantastic. But so were Gerrard.

In the end though I havent seen him ever live, I think Beckenbauer is probably the greatest based on numerous factors. The first being that he could do everything. Football is not just dribble dribble score. Beckenbauer could do everything from headering to motivating teammates to shooting, etc.

Zidane comes really close because he was just fantastic, but as a captain I never found him outstanding. And I think the greatest player should be based on a lot of factors.
Aux Champs-Élysées
Aux Champs-Élysées
Au soleil, sous la pluie
À midi ou à minuit
Il y a tout ce que vous voulez
Aux Champs-Élysées
SilentStrike
I'm a post king!

National Flag:
Netherlands

Postby KAHN » Sun May 01, 2011 12:17 am

Football is a collective sport. It is played for more then 100 years. It is ridicules to try to find one player that was the best. So I would just say that the person that defines football for me is Beckenbauer. Won everything he could as a player, as a couch and as a president.
But if I could give the trophy I would give it to Effenberg. Just to see the look on everybody's face!
effe4.jpg

efffinger.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"You are here for a good time ... Not a long time"
Colin McRae
Rally legend
R.I.P
5/8/1968-15/9/2007
KAHN
I post all the time

National Flag:
Serbia and Montenegro

Postby dambun » Sun May 01, 2011 5:17 pm

For me, it's Thomas Mueller, who won successive Champions League titles 2012-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-20..... :mrgreen:
"" "" "" ""
Time for overhaul!
dambun
2010/11 Prediction Game Winner

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Iran

Postby uzi716 » Sun May 01, 2011 5:40 pm

Zidane was the only one I saw play so I pick him.
uzi716
I post all the time

Postby AvatarX » Sun May 01, 2011 7:19 pm

dambun wrote:For me, it's Thomas Mueller, who won successive Champions League titles 2012-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-20..... :mrgreen:

And he was top scorer in WC 2010, 2014, 2018, winning WC trophy for Germany in both 2014 and 2018 :D
"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred."

National Flag:
Anonymous

Postby Mazen96 » Sun May 01, 2011 7:32 pm

dambun wrote:For me, it's Thomas Mueller, who won successive Champions League titles 2012-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-20..... :mrgreen:

And he was top scorer in WC 2010, 2014, 2018, winning WC trophy for Germany in both 2014 and 2018 :D

And breaking Ronaldo's record of 15 goals and setting the record of 20 goals.
In guten wie in schlechten Zeiten...
Mazen96
I post all the time

National Flag:
Lebanon

Postby Psychaz » Wed May 04, 2011 5:35 pm

El Fenomeno, Zidane or Messi for me, i'm gonna get hate for saying Messi, but the things that he's done and the records that he's set at such a young age he'll go down as the best player to ever play the game IMO
Proud to be Haitian
Psychaz
I'm a chatterbox!

Postby hgb09 » Wed May 04, 2011 7:16 pm

But to be the best player in history he should win the WC at least once. It's not enough to win only La LIGA and CL. It's not that simple to be the the absolute "best" in history.
hgb09
2014/15 Prediction Game Winner

National Flag:
Lebanon

Postby Element » Thu May 05, 2011 8:05 am

hgb09 wrote:But to be the best player in history he should win the WC at least once. It's not enough to win only La LIGA and CL. It's not that simple to be the the absolute "best" in history.

Especially when get Humiliated with Your NT in a world cup (losing 4-0 against Germany , Ozil and Schweinsteiger managed to isolate Messi from the planet !!)

and you play average with Argentina
Element

National Flag:
Jordan

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge