You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of BayernForum.com

General Chat Thread

A place where you can chill out with the BayernForum.com community and talk about anything.

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby JANKER » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:05 am

The best president ever...
Uruguayan president: José Mujica
"Football is very simple." - Kaiser Franck
JANKER
I tattooed BayernForum.com on my ass

Years of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Basque Country

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:14 am

Thanks guys! It's a bit clearer... I can understand why there are different words although it'll take time to get used to identifying the cases of course.

@FCB_General: Thanks especially for the two diagrams, very useful. Regarding Memrise I used it a long time ago and I think I had completely one full German course in it but it was only useful for vocabulary (and it was very good for that). It depends on which course you've chosen of course, but the structure Memrise is built on doesn't seem adequate for learning grammar, inflection, syntax and all that.
We will rise again! (when we stop burying our heads in the sand)
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta
BayernForum.com fan club: Active member
BayernForum.com donator: Yes

Postby fearlesskiki » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:08 am

I prefer using Duolingo over Memrise. In Duolingo you can translate websites and have timed practice. But of course it's better to have as many mediums to learn as possible, especially when you're self learning.

thanks FCB general for the chart. :D

I started to learn German after i found this channel. He has many useful and funny videos.
https://www.youtube.com/user/MeisterLehnsherr/videos

I use Duolingo as my main medium.
https://www.duolingo.com/

Deutsche Welle also has some good courses. I only browse through, and will start after i finish Duolingo.
http://www.dw.de/learn-german/s-2469

:? German grammar is giving me a headache. And I thought English was a tricky language.
ein guter anfang braucht begeisterung, ein gutes ende disziplin
fearlesskiki
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Years of membership

National Flag:
Malaysia

Postby ramsej84 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:19 am

I think I am one of a kind; I really find it difficult to study online :evil:
Last year finally I realized my dream to start learning German. To do that I had to leave early from work once a week (thus resulting in less overtime!)to attend this course (which is offered by the Government for a very cheap price 35.00euros) I did very well in the final exam I got 82. Obviously this scholastic year I was going to apply for the next level. However one of my collogues had something himself and I could not re apply for that one day of leaving early from work :evil:
However God Willing come next August I will apply and in the meantime I'll try to re-pass all that we did last year.
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:25 pm

fearlesskiki wrote:I started to learn German after i found this channel. He has many useful and funny videos.

I don't have much time for the coming month but that looks like a very good channel. Subscribed. :)

ramsej84 wrote:I think I am one of a kind; I really find it difficult to study online :evil:

Possibly the generation gap (not calling you old :P ). The internet is my go-to source to get a good background on anything. YouTube is an especially wonderful source.

I also like using a lot of books but not so much for language learning. I have a good German guide by Collins but I've hardly ever used it. It seems to be more of a reference thing than an actual learning tool.
FCBayernMunchen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby ramsej84 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:28 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:
fearlesskiki wrote:I started to learn German after i found this channel. He has many useful and funny videos.

I don't have much time for the coming month but that looks like a very good channel. Subscribed. :)

ramsej84 wrote:I think I am one of a kind; I really find it difficult to study online :evil:

Possibly the generation gap (not calling you old :P ). The internet is my go-to source to get a good background on anything. YouTube is an especially wonderful source.

I also like using a lot of books but not so much for language learning. I have a good German guide by Collins but I've hardly ever used it. It seems to be more of a reference thing than an actual learning tool.

You are right... Yes in fact we used to use youtube for some exercises
U l-Kotra qamet f’daqqa – u għajtet: “Jien Maltija!
Miskin min ikasbarni, - miskin min jidħak bija!”
U l-Kotra għanniet f’daqqa – u semmgħet ma’ l-irjieħ
L-Innu ta’ Malta tagħna, – u l-leħen kien rebbieħ,
ramsej84

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:32 pm

It could just be the type of learner though. As I said I mostly use books and the internet which are both very individualistic. Some might prefer the classroom atmosphere and the interaction with a teacher.

I've always been like that though, even at school. I do everything on my own then discuss a lot with friends, but not so much with teachers and so on.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby FCB general » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:47 pm

FCBayernMunchen wrote:@FCB_General: Thanks especially for the two diagrams, very useful. Regarding Memrise I used it a long time ago and I think I had completely one full German course in it but it was only useful for vocabulary (and it was very good for that). It depends on which course you've chosen of course, but the structure Memrise is built on doesn't seem adequate for learning grammar, inflection, syntax and all that.

Of course. But in the end everything looks like you need a native person near you or someone who's been living there for 20 years or speaking fluent. It goes much faster and better than just learning via reading and listening. I know with my English, when I speak to someone who speaks English fluent or it's his native(which is sooooo rarely), I'm just getting more and more confident, more and more quicker, words, phrases and the rest are just coming out of my mouth that I get myself positively shocked. That blockade just disappears after 30 minutes.

You have also these diagrams and tables for adjectives and other things which you have to now depending from case to case.
I suggest you deutsch.info because there you have texts, audio and grammar stuff, especially texts on all kind of topics and translations when you move with mouse exactly on the text. Tables for modal verbs in all persons(sigular, plural) and other words which have some exceptions.

Regarding Memrise, it has helped me a lot so far, especially the basic course. After that I've moved to 1000 most used words on English and I've been doing this for the last one and half month.

Duolingo was the first thing which I've started to use, but I put that on hold because I couldn't understand these articles, nouns just as you now. Then I had moved to deutsch.info(I guess that's page of Deutche Welle) and there I've learned a lot about nouns, verbs, declension of cases, even many new words and to understand when and how goes for instance maskuline dem(Dative) and den(Accusative). I haven't learned yet with which prepositions will be dative or accusative, but when I find more time(I have graduate work to finish and defend) I'm gonna learn it.

Now I'm on Memrise because of many courses, but my goal is to learn all these 1000 words(although there are many which I've known already) and get back repeating grammar on deutsch.info and on this Facebook page which is founded by Croats who've been living there for 30-40 years. It's free and they put every day something new. Grammar, words, knowledge Quiz after every lesson, everyday phrases in all kind of life situations, German words for all sort of fruits, vegetables, animals...

So I've got 4 places/sources for studying. deutsch.info and "Naučimo njemački - svaki dan nove lekcije"(my native language and explanation included) mostly for grammar rules and phrases, Memrise for new words and expressions and Duolingo as very good way to repeat all of it.

I tested my knowledge in practice for the first time in my life. I guess it was January 2, grandfather's ex-boss had called my home from Germany and asked for his phone number, nobody doesn't speak foreign languages and the boss knows a bit of Croatian which he learned from my grandfather and Croatian/Serbian employers. :D So I took the phone and helped him with numbers on German. I introduced myself, asked him how's it going and answered on few questions he asked. He was very, very surprised that I've spoken so clear, grammatically correct. :lol: Then right after he called grandfather and praised me for good conversation. I didn't wanna ask him for English to use or somethin' but put myself in one simple test which I passed. He knows me very well when I lived in Germany for 2 years when I was 2 years old, but I've never recalled him in these ages. If I want to work as a navvy/construction worker, I can move to Stuttgart very soon. The only condition - I need to work hard and show commitment and I'll be rewarded for it. :mrgreen:

"Ein Trainer sehen, was passieren in Platz. In diese Spiel es waren zwei, drei oder vier Spieler, die waren schwach wie eine Flasche leer!"
FCB general
I live on BayernForum.com

National Flag:
Caribbean Community

Postby FCB general » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:57 pm

fearlesskiki wrote: :? German grammar is giving me a headache. And I thought English was a tricky language.

English is silly language comparing to German. Just take a look at their compound words, haha. That I was smart as I thought I was, I'd be a master of English for the last 9 years and right now a great speaker of German language, learning Spanish. But I wasn't that smart, and I'm not even now. What a lazy sauhund(bastard) I am... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

"Ein Trainer sehen, was passieren in Platz. In diese Spiel es waren zwei, drei oder vier Spieler, die waren schwach wie eine Flasche leer!"
FCB general

National Flag:
Caribbean Community

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:12 pm

English grammar is very simple: only one indefinite and only one definite articles, very little inflection in verbs (I cook, you cook, he/she/it cooks, we cook, you cook, they cook - there are only two variants). Even the tenses are mostly all made up of compounds (rather than different inflections) and the names help you remember (all continuous tenses have an -ing word; all perfect tenses have an -ed word). There are quite a few tricks in English grammar.

Oddly however, from my experience I've found that people who speak languages like, for example, French (with it's many different verb forms) tend to find it much harder to learn a "simple" language like English.

The biggest challenge in English is pronunciation and vocabulary. Some words really do not help you out when it comes to pronouncing them and English has more words than many other languages, which sometimes results in a lot of confusion among learners with it comes to words with similar meanings.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby JANKER » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:43 pm

Watching my favorite movies with subtitles in a language I don't speak is my favorite way of learning a new language. :lol:
If you're lazy, that's the best way... I will always find the laziest way to do smth.
When I get tired of being lazy and all this I go on a reading spree, disconnecting from every device, computer, phone, tv... for a week or two. I would almost never read smth I needed for my studies, but something 3rd. Attending lectures is enough... but not for a subject that has too many rules, some rules can get on my nerves especially when they don't have anything to do with logic. That's why I left my studies behind with only 2 exams left to graduate... :P Don't follow my stubborn example.
"Football is very simple." - Kaiser Franck
JANKER

Years of membershipYears of membership

National Flag:
Basque Country

Postby FCB general » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:54 pm

The interesting thing about me, when I bite something I can't let it go. I become a fanatic, motivated, push it to extreme lines, either it's studying for exams or languages or working in courtyard or 4 day work on/in someone's house every day for 12-13 hours.
I need a stronger push to start working on something, but when I finally start, I don't now to stop myself. :lol: Then everybody says how I'm acutally great, I can do or achieve whatever I want but it's always about my slowness, indifference. :) Primary things always come on the second place instead of the first.

It's actually a cancer in every single Balkan society, less important things and topics enjoy the highest interest. :lol:

FCB general

National Flag:
Caribbean Community

Postby FCBayernMunchen » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:10 pm

You are my exact opposite. I interest myself in a lot of things and am extremely motivated at first then I lose interest after a few days.
FCBayernMunchen

National Flag:
Malta

Postby fearlesskiki » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:24 pm

me too. I can make a list of things that i've tried to learn but failed. :lol:

I've tried to learn languages from tv shows, but japanese and korean still sound foreign to me. :lol: I've managed to learn Hokkien (a chinese dialect), but that's because I've already knew Mandarin and Cantonese.

Sometimes you just need to have some motivation. Or try making it fun. I'm glad there's youtube. :mrgreen:
ein guter anfang braucht begeisterung, ein gutes ende disziplin
fearlesskiki
Yeah, now I'm talking!

Years of membership

National Flag:
Malaysia

Postby FCB general » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:32 pm

Well, it's not that I'm not interested in anything, quite opposite... The fact is, I have nothing of all these things which would really help me and give something in my life. :D I don't get bored or lose interest after few days, it's just that I must stop with them and focus on the real things where I can actually get something, benefit from it, learn so I can use it in my life and so on.

That's something what goes a bit harder for me and where I need push. Interests on the right things, not stupid and useless. :) That's a big problem for at least 85-90% of young Croats - syndrome of laziness when is about primary and secondary schools, studying, etc. It's easier to chill balls, pretend to be smarter than elder population, chase women and get drunk, spread stupid gossips about other people's life, focus on useless things, avoid any kind of useful work etc.

Now when all young people are leaving Croatia for Ireland and Germany, suddenly it's better, they change, wow there's no more stupid street stories, natives aren't burdened with other people's lives, etc. Like you couldn't do the same at home and you needed to leave. :lol:

FCB general

National Flag:
Caribbean Community

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge